20' Series Expanda good and bad points

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Hey guys to all the 20' expanda owners out there I was wondering about a few things and would be interested in your thoughts on the good and bad points. My biggest concern is access in parks and fuel economy towing with our new facelift cruiser. Look forward to your comments as we are keen to update from our 17' expanda and running out of room with the 4 kids

Last edited:

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We love our 20", should have done it years ago!!! We were away on the weekend a struggled to get it into the site at the park we were at. There was also an issue with the widthnof the site as the slid out hit the garden next to us, had to put the van on the slab a bit to allow it to fit. Fuel economy, nasty, but have to put fuel in something!! I get about 30-32 l/ 100. A mate with a diesel gets about 24. No downside really with the van. There are plenty of extras to be considered. We got the following
Upgrade to 2 x 150 w solar panels
Extra battery
Bike rack
Extended draw bar
Extra water tank
Ibis aircon
Put shelves in the robes
Washing machine
Outside shower
Outside light above the outside shower
Kakadu awning for the front bed(we don't have the back bed)

Maybe should have got an oven???

Hope this helps

Reactions: Ch00ka77

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
We love our 20", should have done it years ago!!! We were away on the weekend a struggled to get it into the site at the park we were at. There was also an issue with the widthnof the site as the slid out hit the garden next to us, had to put the van on the slab a bit to allow it to fit. Fuel economy, nasty, but have to put fuel in something!! I get about 30-32 l/ 100. A mate with a diesel gets about 24. No downside really with the van. There are plenty of extras to be considered. We got the following
Upgrade to 2 x 150 w solar panels
Extra battery
Bike rack
Extended draw bar
Extra water tank
Ibis aircon
Put shelves in the robes
Washing machine
Outside shower
Outside light above the outside shower
Kakadu awning for the front bed(we don't have the back bed)

Maybe should have got an oven???

Hope this helps

30-32 WOW we towed our 20.64.1 on the weekend and achieved 16l/100. Same trip without the van to get the boat was just under 9l/100 We have the 3.2 diesel auto.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have a 21 Expanda, and haven't really had any problems with size in the parks we've been to.

Obviously important that you book a site that is big enough, and also important you are pretty good at reversing.

Luckily I'm pretty good at getting it into some pretty tight spaces.

We are towing it with a turbo diesel 100 series Landcruiser.

We averaged 27 L/100 on a trip to Kangaroo Island last year, but then fitted a DPChip, and now average 23 L/100 when towing.

Only real issue I have had is getting it out of the yard due to the narrow gate.

With such a long overhang behind the rear wheels, you need to be aware of where the back of the van is when you make small adjustments.

I'm happy we went with the big van

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Sorry, forgot that we have changed the gas fridge to a waeco. Much better option IMHO. More reliable, cools off quicker and the solar system we have runs it no problem. I can back very well, but this park is not setup for larger vans, not physically enough room for the van and the cruiser to get across the road to swing the bum of the van across. They do however have a kubota tractor they will use to put the bigger vans into place.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Thanks guys some great info. Red1 you suggested the Waeco fridge which agree will cool better and wondering if it makes much noise at night.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
No, it is fine, we have a 80l waeco in the back of the cruiser and it makes more noise than the big fridge, I think it is 185l, in the van. Runs really well too. We always take ice cream etc with us and it keeps up with making ice for the afternoon fizzy drinks!!!

Chris Higgins

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
Hey Chooka
I've just done 8000k to the east coast and back for Christmas. There were two rigs, both tow vehicles were 200LC diesel, vans were 16' and 20' pandas..

Fuel average for the 8000k's was 20' got 21L/100 and the 16' got just under 18L/100. We found anywhere we went, hills, wind any thing the two vehicles were always about 2L apart. Some off the most economical travel we did was through the hills NE of Adelaide. the 200LC really likes 3rd or 4th gear and crawling around at 80-90kmh.... On hwys etc we always traveled at 100kmh even in the strong winds. 50% of the time in 5th and the balance on windy days 4th. 4th has higher revs but cooler gearbox temp, and there is no noticeable difference in fuel between the 2 gears... surprising really.
Also if fuel is a concern then don't change your tyre size on the LC. Each inch of rubber will add 1L to your fuel. Roof rack also adds 1L.

As for parks and size you will need to learn the new size but go slow and wide and it will fit most places, the 16' expanded is the same footprint as the 20' so where one fitted the other did too... just a little squishier to put it in the hole. :p
We have found in the last 3 years of having the 20' almost all parks fit 20'-21' after that it gets ify..
Some are tight to drive around but if your careful and 'confident in your skills' there shouldn't be a problem. Tail bump and swing is something to watch though.

PS the owner of the 16' panda is now looking at a 20' :) He recons the 2L/100 is a price he's prepared to pay for more space (bunks) for the kids... bunks are it for kids !!

Good luck :)
CH

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Chris that's great write up and good figures on the fuel economy and thanks to all again for the comments. I think we will head to the melbourne caravan and camping show and check it out. Another question how easy is it to access the rear lid when it is up to drop or put on the shade screens? And how much water per wash does the washing machine use?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Chris that's great write up and good figures on the fuel economy and thanks to all again for the comments. I think we will head to the melbourne caravan and camping show and check it out. Another question how easy is it to access the rear lid when it is up to drop or put on the shade screens? And how much water per wash does the washing machine use?

Rear lid is usually OK if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and can reach it easily most of the time, but depending on the lay of the land I sometimes need to use our step to reach it comfortably.

After our last trip I decided that we'll take our little 2 step ladder for this sort of job.

Have only ever used the washing machine whilst connected to mains water so not sure exactly how much it uses.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Rear lid is usually OK if you're tall. I'm 6'2" and can reach it easily most of the time, but depending on the lay of the land I sometimes need to use our step to reach it comfortably.

After our last trip I decided that we'll take our little 2 step ladder for this sort of job.

Have only ever used the washing machine whilst connected to mains water so not sure exactly how much it uses.

Cheers thought it was a little high and I'm 6'

Michael & Sam

Jun 10, 2013
Geelong Area
GDay Chooka. You wont regret the upgrade from the 17. I upgraded from the same van you have. I have three kids and the van is great and sets up easy - I don't get much help form the little peeps when it comes to set up! Van optioned up well and don't wish for anything. Rear lid is high and have been caught a couple of times if on a site that slopes back at the rear - I am 6-1. Have never had an issue at any caravan park and find most places ask what length and type of van and if they don't ask I tell them to make sure it fits.

Finished a 7000km return trip in Sep/Oct and averaged 14.5 lt/100km. Had amazing conditions to drive in and little wind. I tow with a Discovery 4. Ran into fellow expanda folk in Hervey Bay - same van size towing with a the 200 series V8 diesel cruisers and they were getting 20 litres plus - I don't have a bias as I really like the cruisers but from what I can gather they chew the juice. I did however tow the van on a 40 degree day over xmas, windy day and averaged 25litres. There are a few niggles....the coax point for tv is crap....I think JaycoQ moved his recently as obviously others finding it annoying. No other real issues. Hope this helps

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
GDay Chooka. You wont regret the upgrade from the 17. I upgraded from the same van you have. I have three kids and the van is great and sets up easy - I don't get much help form the little peeps when it comes to set up! Van optioned up well and don't wish for anything. Rear lid is high and have been caught a couple of times if on a site that slopes back at the rear - I am 6-1. Have never had an issue at any caravan park and find most places ask what length and type of van and if they don't ask I tell them to make sure it fits.

Finished a 7000km return trip in Sep/Oct and averaged 14.5 lt/100km. Had amazing conditions to drive in and little wind. I tow with a Discovery 4. Ran into fellow expanda folk in Hervey Bay - same van size towing with a the 200 series V8 diesel cruisers and they were getting 20 litres plus - I don't have a bias as I really like the cruisers but from what I can gather they chew the juice. I did however tow the van on a 40 degree day over xmas, windy day and averaged 25litres. There are a few niggles....the coax point for tv is crap....I think JaycoQ moved his recently as obviously others finding it annoying. No other real issues. Hope this helps
Thanks mate decisions decisions. Are the bunks bigger in the 20' compared to the 17'

Last edited:

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We have only used the washing machine once so far, and had to catch the water from under it as it wasn't plumbed to waste for some reason. Found it used almost 40 l for a full cycle. Ours wasn't connected to the tanks and so we had to use town water. I have since connected it should we need it in an emergency, as well as hooked it to the waste system so I don't have to catch the water in a bucket!!!!

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
If I can't reach the lid, I tend to stand on the bumper and get it down.( Only because I forgot to pack the step ladder one time.) I do not find it an issue and I'm shorter than 6 foot.

Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong
Well if you haven't worked it out by my user name, not much that I'm about to write will be favourable towards Jayco, my caravan and in parts - Jayco Nowra/RV Centre.

Any sort of advice about what I should do would be much appreciated if you take the time to read on and respond?

Firstly, I am sure that there may be some, maybe a few satisfied happy Jayco customers out there some where but I have not come across any in the six months I've lived and travelled around the east coast of NSW in this P.O.S.! This is purely what I have experienced and hope that no one takes anything I written personally. Except for Peter Manning of Jayco Head Office.

We purchased, as per our contract of sale, an Expanda 21.64-1 OB.15EX. The contract was signed December 2014 and delivery of the van was also late in April 2015 as it was due in early March. Delivered was a 20.64-1 OB.15EX without any sort of explanation! I believe that that is a breach of contract?

Good points;
  • Looks great from the outside with the decals and design. We get many compliments on how it looks.
  • Caravan houses all 7 of us quite well.

Bad points;
  • Wrong mattresses were delivered - old style that had two different thickness mattresses zippered together
  • IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0191.JPG
  • Mattresses are so uncomfortable that my wife and I have had many chiro appointments, massage therapy and now have 3 bed toppers to take away the stiffness.
  • There was no cover for the gas bottles - delivered 4 weeks later with correct mattresses well after our first trip
  • IMG_1849.JPG
  • The slide-out window screen did not work properly
  • Two cupboard doors didn't open due to incorrect lock installation. Now we have extra screw holes where the locks were repositioned from
  • Water leak over the main bed - two failed attempts by Jayco Nowra at their RV Centre & finally fixed 25th January 2016 with my help onsite at Bendalong 6 months after it was first reported
  • IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1669.JPG
  • Massive water leak coming out from the underside of the slide-out where the battery management system is located, under the fridge and from the outside corner of where the vanity is located and even from under the toilet. Still not fixed as Jayco Nowra can't find the entry point! Serious concerns with cupboards rotting out at a later date.
  • IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1672.JPG
  • LED lights on the roll out awning failed on our second outing.
  • The AC unit does not cool which really sucks during the recent hot days we've been experiencing. Often cooler outside than in. Super uncomfortable at night.
  • Water leak under the vanity from the HW hose where the vanity shelf now needs replacing
  • IMG_1805.JPG
  • Water leak under the kitchen sink from the water filter causing underside of kitchen cupboards absorbing water. Once again serious concerns about cupboards rotting out at a later stage.
  • The manual wind-up lever for the antenna exploded in my hands.
  • IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1041.JPG
  • The trailer plug wiring was exposed - Jayco Nowra attempted the repair only to stuff up and the trailer plug melted and fused to my new Hilux trailer plug. Both had to be replaced.
  • IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1714.JPG
  • Both privacy curtain rails to the main beds either end are pulling out due to crappy undersized screws
  • IMG_1821.JPG
  • One of the drop down stabiliser legs seized up and Jayco Nowra replaced it with a shorter one??
  • Wondered why the smoke alarm never went off whilst cooking in the caravan so I thought I'd investigate - Battery was still wrapped in plastic. Lucky there wasn't a fire in van with the whole family in it!
  • IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG
  • Many of the screw cover caps keep falling off as they were never installed correctly.
  • Big blob of silicone located on the shower flick-mixer
  • Many areas of careless poor finishing and poor workmanship by Jayco such as silicone smears, pencil marks, dirty smudge marks etc. Just showed a lack of care and pride in your own work.
  • IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1819.JPG

I've worked hard to raise the funds ($65k) for this caravan and spend a lot of time in it for work purposes. I purchased the van with the hope to take the family around Australia in it but really I don't have the confidence in the build or the manufacturer to attempt it with the issues I've had so far. God knows what could go wrong with some serious caravanning.

Yes, everything is under warranty so far and Phil (the owner) from Jayco Nowra is doing his best to appease my issues but he has a real lack of support from his workers (can't call them tradesmen) in the RV Centre and more importantly Jayco head office. I actually feel sorry for Phil. Peter Manning, the head of warranties at Jayco head office, refuses to return my calls or emails even after he promised to ensure that he would personally look after everything. Pfft!

My real concern is that I still have warranty issues and even wet cupboards due to the major water leaks that will start rotting well after the warranty period is over in April and I will be left to deal with all that goes wrong.

Overall, to say that I'm disappointed with my caravan would be an under statement. I HATE my caravan and I HATE Jayco! The caravan has been so poorly put together and the Jayco Customer "Care" is absolutely nowhere! I never have anything nice to say about Jayco and the more and more I mention it to other Jayco owners the more stories I hear about how bad Jayco really is.

I honestly wish I never "upgraded" from my Complete Campsite Camper Trailer. It never leaked and never had any issues. The owners Grant & Jodie Joyce were brilliant to deal with and still recognise us and always say hello and chat with us at the caravan & camping shows. We've had two camper trailers through them and it could be on the cards a third order may be on the way once I sort this out.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    973.9 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: Drover

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well if you haven't worked it out by my user name, not much that I'm about to write will be favourable towards Jayco, my caravan and in parts - Jayco Nowra/RV Centre.

Any sort of advice about what I should do would be much appreciated if you take the time to read on and respond?

Firstly, I am sure that there may be some, maybe a few satisfied happy Jayco customers out there some where but I have not come across any in the six months I've lived and travelled around the east coast of NSW in this P.O.S.! This is purely what I have experienced and hope that no one takes anything I written personally. Except for Peter Manning of Jayco Head Office.

We purchased, as per our contract of sale, an Expanda 21.64-1 OB.15EX. The contract was signed December 2014 and delivery of the van was also late in April 2015 as it was due in early March. Delivered was a 20.64-1 OB.15EX without any sort of explanation! I believe that that is a breach of contract?

Good points;
  • Looks great from the outside with the decals and design. We get many compliments on how it looks.
  • Caravan houses all 7 of us quite well.

Bad points;
  • Wrong mattresses were delivered - old style that had two different thickness mattresses zippered together
  • View attachment 38640 View attachment 38641
  • Mattresses are so uncomfortable that my wife and I have had many chiro appointments, massage therapy and now have 3 bed toppers to take away the stiffness.
  • There was no cover for the gas bottles - delivered 4 weeks later with correct mattresses well after our first trip
  • View attachment 38642
  • The slide-out window screen did not work properly
  • Two cupboard doors didn't open due to incorrect lock installation. Now we have extra screw holes where the locks were repositioned from
  • Water leak over the main bed - two failed attempts by Jayco Nowra at their RV Centre & finally fixed 25th January 2016 with my help onsite at Bendalong 6 months after it was first reported
  • View attachment 38625 View attachment 38626
  • Massive water leak coming out from the underside of the slide-out where the battery management system is located, under the fridge and from the outside corner of where the vanity is located and even from under the toilet. Still not fixed as Jayco Nowra can't find the entry point! Serious concerns with cupboards rotting out at a later date.
  • View attachment 38627 View attachment 38628 View attachment 38629 View attachment 38630 View attachment 38648
  • LED lights on the roll out awning failed on our second outing.
  • The AC unit does not cool which really sucks during the recent hot days we've been experiencing. Often cooler outside than in. Super uncomfortable at night.
  • Water leak under the vanity from the HW hose where the vanity shelf now needs replacing
  • View attachment 38632
  • Water leak under the kitchen sink from the water filter causing underside of kitchen cupboards absorbing water. Once again serious concerns about cupboards rotting out at a later stage.
  • The manual wind-up lever for the antenna exploded in my hands.
  • View attachment 38633 View attachment 38634
  • The trailer plug wiring was exposed - Jayco Nowra attempted the repair only to stuff up and the trailer plug melted and fused to my new Hilux trailer plug. Both had to be replaced.
  • View attachment 38635 View attachment 38636 View attachment 38637
  • Both privacy curtain rails to the main beds either end are pulling out due to crappy undersized screws
  • View attachment 38639
  • One of the drop down stabiliser legs seized up and Jayco Nowra replaced it with a shorter one??
  • Wondered why the smoke alarm never went off whilst cooking in the caravan so I thought I'd investigate - Battery was still wrapped in plastic. Lucky there wasn't a fire in van with the whole family in it!
  • View attachment 38646 View attachment 38647
  • Many of the screw cover caps keep falling off as they were never installed correctly.
  • Big blob of silicone located on the shower flick-mixer
  • Many areas of careless poor finishing and poor workmanship by Jayco such as silicone smears, pencil marks, dirty smudge marks etc. Just showed a lack of care and pride in your own work.
  • View attachment 38643 View attachment 38644 View attachment 38645 View attachment 38653 View attachment 38651 View attachment 38650

I've worked hard to raise the funds ($65k) for this caravan and spend a lot of time in it for work purposes. I purchased the van with the hope to take the family around Australia in it but really I don't have the confidence in the build or the manufacturer to attempt it with the issues I've had so far. God knows what could go wrong with some serious caravanning.

Yes, everything is under warranty so far and Phil (the owner) from Jayco Nowra is doing his best to appease my issues but he has a real lack of support from his workers (can't call them tradesmen) in the RV Centre and more importantly Jayco head office. I actually feel sorry for Phil. Peter Manning, the head of warranties at Jayco head office, refuses to return my calls or emails even after he promised to ensure that he would personally look after everything. Pfft!

My real concern is that I still have warranty issues and even wet cupboards due to the major water leaks that will start rotting well after the warranty period is over in April and I will be left to deal with all that goes wrong.

Overall, to say that I'm disappointed with my caravan would be an under statement. I HATE my caravan and I HATE Jayco! The caravan has been so poorly put together and the Jayco Customer "Care" is absolutely nowhere! I never have anything nice to say about Jayco and the more and more I mention it to other Jayco owners the more stories I hear about how bad Jayco really is.

I honestly wish I never "upgraded" from my Complete Campsite Camper Trailer. It never leaked and never had any issues. The owners Grant & Jodie Joyce were brilliant to deal with and still recognise us and always say hello and chat with us at the caravan & camping shows. We've had two camper trailers through them and it could be on the cards a third order may be on the way once I sort this out.
Hi @Worst Caravan Ever! ,
I may be able to help with the water leaking under your fridge. Check the vent outside. If it doesn't have an eave over the top of it (bit of plastic channel) then the water will be running off the slide out awning, down the van and into the vent. We had our van flood because it rained and the water came pouring in. Saturated everything....we were in Melbourne at the time.
We also had the blind not shut in the slide out, but discovered a toilet roll wedged in fixed it until it was corrected. And our bed curtains popped out too, but the guys put bigger screws in for me and now is all good.

Anyway, I hope I have been able to help with one of your leaks. Good luck with the rest.