Expanda 17-56-2 Basin problem

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
hey burnsy,
i done it. look at the album in my profile there are pics there. its in prototype phase as i have a couple of others to fit once were away next as i'll take the silicon gun with me to fit permanently.
i have the van levelled where its stored and it drains really well without any runs towards the toilet. cheers pace.

Reactions: Burnsy

Lawrance Lee

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne, VIC
Hello folks,

Newbie here. I was googling my issue with the fold up wash basin leaking onto the toilet seat, and found this website. Looking at the pictures of the washbasin, it looks like Jayco uses the same washbasin product as A'Van. I have an 2012 A'Van Aspire 499 and if I'm a bit too quick folding up the washbasin, a small amount of water runs down the back edge, past the Thetford toilet seat, and onto the floor. This is quite an annoying "feature" and I had thought that it might be due to a blocked drain.

But after finding this thread, I'm beginning to think that the washbasin design must be simply flawed. And similar to others, if I tip the basin partially to let all the water out with some patience, I can shut it without getting water running down.

At least, now I know I don't need to investigate the plumbing side of things, as this must just be a par on course for this fold up wash basin product.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard @Lawrance Lee, I think you will find most members who have that sort of combined wash basin and toilet have experienced the problem of dribbling. It is definitely not a plumbing problem, just more like a design problem.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We learnt by trial and error with the drainage issue @Lawrance Lee ... Now all we have to do is train the grand kids to either leave the basin down or tilt it and close it slowly all will be good.

Lawrance Lee

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne, VIC
Thanks for the welcome! My first every van was a Jayco Eagle Outback. Loved it, but needed quicker / easier setup especially since we tend to arrive at our destination quite late and in the dark.

I then went to a GoldStream Explorer 14" poptop, which was also good because there was much less work in setting up, in the late of night. But I found the A'van with the toilet too hard to pass up so this is the van for now. I wrote up a review on the A'Van Aspire 499 here: http://www.productreview.com.au/p/avan-aspire-499.html

Before purchasing the A'Van I had looked at so many Jayco Expandas but ultimately the layout of the A'Van suited my needs better so I went with them. I think A'Vans and Jaycos have about the same build quality, only Jaycos have better dealer support.

Reactions: relgate

Jay_00022

Jan 18, 2021
Tasmania
hey burnsy,
i done it. look at the album in my profile there are pics there. its in prototype phase as i have a couple of others to fit once were away next as i'll take the silicon gun with me to fit permanently.
i have the van levelled where its stored and it drains really well without any runs towards the toilet. cheers pace.
Hi late coming to the post but do you still have the photos of the jayco sink draining mod

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Same, I want to get rid of the bend and have the water flow straight down. I also wouldn’t mind replacing the 25mm pipe with the next size up. I think it’s 32mm.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Same, I want to get rid of the bend and have the water flow straight down. I also wouldn’t mind replacing the 25mm pipe with the next size up. I think it’s 32mm.
speaking from sad experience, the issues you are facing start in the sealed part of the basin there is a ribbed flexi hose sealed in the body of the basin which holds some water until the basin is raised thats the last little bit that runs down the wall,as the plastic ages its gets worse as the plastic gets hard and brittle,putting in a larger pipe will not help the already restricted flexi pipe, by the way 10 years is about the age you can start having issues with van pressure pipes and fittings the more you disturb the plumbing the more issues you will have to deal with ,happy new year

Reactions: Drover