Expanda 17-56-2 Basin problem

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Folks, just wondering if anyone has found a solution to the fold up bathroom basin not emtying fully so when someone raises the basin to use the toilet the access basin water just spill over the the rear basin hinge and onto the toilet seat?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Never had the problem, Kolega. Most of the water drains away and a slight tip of the basin sends the rest down the outlet. We have had problems with the kitchen sink being slow to empty but the basin has been fine. Is the plug hole sitting higher than the bottom of the basin?

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi Kolega,

Ours is the same in our 14' van, thought is was because the rest if the drains where slow to drain also. I modified the other drains into a single outlet with 40mm pipe under the van and now they nearly suck your hand down the hole there so quick to drain but it didn't fix the wash basin. I still have to have a look it it. If you come up with a solution in the mean time it would be great to know.

Cheers

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Ours does the exact same thing. Kinda annoying for the miss's having the seat wet. Thought it was just a bad design from Jayco but might be something else.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
yep a pain it is, we leave a towel in the shower to wipe the basin down before it is closed up. it will sometimes help to close the basin partially a few times to help the water drain quicker.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ours is bad so we just dont use the Basin, it drains but sits in the pipe which I'm sure has a kink in it but you cant get at it, it's going back so to have the ensuite wall and bsain replaced so might get them to check it too

gunx

May 28, 2012
Geelong
Yea we have the same problem,we just put a little pressure on the outlet so the water runs into it and drains away before putting it up.It is a bad design thats for sure.:bathbaby:

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Is anyone getting this looked at by Jayco and if so what are they saying. Are jayco coming to the party in repairs. Mite be a question for me to ask before order one. Be great to see end result. Thanks for the heads up

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
I dont have a fix for the poor draining, but I did bluetack a piece of clear flexible plastic (a bit like the windows on a Jayco camper, but thinner) on the back edge of the sink, in the gap near the taps. This catches any water left in the sink and prevents it from comming out on to the toilet seat, and forces it down the little hidden drain behind the sink bowl. It took a couple of goes to get the piece of plastic the right shape, but now the toilet doesn't get wet when you fold up the sink.

Andrew

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
I dont have a fix for the poor draining, but I did bluetack a piece of clear flexible plastic (a bit like the windows on a Jayco camper, but thinner) on the back edge of the sink, in the gap near the taps. This catches any water left in the sink and prevents it from comming out on to the toilet seat, and forces it down the little hidden drain behind the sink bowl. It took a couple of goes to get the piece of plastic the right shape, but now the toilet doesn't get wet when you fold up the sink.

Andrew

Andrew what a great idea, are you able to post a photo, where did you source the plastic from?

David

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I have had a small plastic edge glued to the back of the basin that works better and now I have just tried some vinyl siliconed to the back of the basin and the drain part, will let you know how it goes when the silicone dries.

Christian

image0034.jpg image0036.jpg image0037.jpg

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
I have exactly the same problem in my 16-49-3b, I find if I tilt the basin up a bit the water drains much faster. It's almost as if my basin opens past horizontal if you know what I mean.

At least the tilting stops the water leaking over the dunny, I wish the thing would drain quicker tho, takes ages to empty.

Cheers
Mike

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
Andrew what a great idea, are you able to post a photo, where did you source the plastic from?

David

DAVID,

I went to the great expense of cutting up a clear bag that a doona came in. I also stapled a stiffer piece of margarine lid at the bottom, to help it stay in place. ;-)

My one looks very similar to Christian's, except not quite as long in the vertical direction. There's a little lip hiding the small drain hole under the sink that the piece of margarine lid catches on and prevents it falling out.

Sometimes the easiest fixes are free (and a little dodgey as in my case, but it works).

Andrew

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Ok today i attacked the dreaded basin drain. From what i can tell the modification has made the drain work alot better then before :smile:, but i need to do some more testing. Van isn't level where i have it, so when i get a chance i will level it up and post the results with some photo's.

Cheers.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
gday Colin,

mate please post your mod when you get a chance, any help on improving the drain would be most appreciated, ours drains really slowly.

cheers
mike

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
clarification on this mod please

I can confirm this mod works a treat, you can even close the basin with a small amount of water still in without any spillage

SS, i have been looking for this thread for some days now and have found it,yippee. please could you inform whether any removal of the basin is required to complete this mod. i found the drain hole by chance on our recent trip away to Nagambie leisure park (trip report to come). cheers pace.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ok today i attacked the dreaded basin drain. From what i can tell the modification has made the drain work alot better then before :smile:, but i need to do some more testing. Van isn't level where i have it, so when i get a chance i will level it up and post the results with some photo's.

Cheers.

Hi Colin, what was the result? Any pics of your mod?

Cheers.