Dust Proofing your Expanda ?

Shane74

Oct 5, 2016
Geelong region
Hi Shane,
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.
12 months ago we travelled basically on the dirt from Bairanald to Mungo NP, Menindee Lakes then to Bourke via Wilcannia. This is roughly 600km. Whilst the Gibb River Rd is a different beast we still encountered bull dust etc.
My attempt at dust proofing was installing a home made hatch under the van to cover the wall mount A/C unit air intake through the floor and covering all passive vents with corflu and duct tape. I left the top vent for the fridge uncovered to allow heat to escape whilst on 12V. it worked well. On a rest break I went into the van to check for dust to find the kids bed having a fine coating but this was because the didn't close the window properly so make sure you do that.

Great thanks, good to hear. It must've been your photos I have come across recently. Will avoid the hole in the roof if I can. In saying the "Gibb River Rd is a different beast" do you mean in terms of dust, corrugations or both..!?

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem of dust coming into the back of a ute with a canopy? Thanks! Maybe take it to ARB or TJM to fix?
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
http://www.browndavis.com.au/tail-gate-seals/

Fitted one to my PX Ranger and it stops about 95% of the dust.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Shane74 . We did the gibb in July this year. The only dust proofing we did was to cover the 2 air vents that were above our door and in the step. The only place we got any dust at all was in the tiny cupboard under our fridge as it came in via the fridge drainage pipe. The only thing I should have done, but didn't was to put protection over the brake wiring by the wheels, as they got attacked by the rocks. Nothing was done to the van to prep it in any way (other than the box on the front, which took all the rocks that got thrown up), however we did get a second spare....just in case.
Were we just lucky?? Who knows, but we now have 2 extra ,never used spares to sell

Reactions: dagree

Shane74

Oct 5, 2016
Geelong region
Thanks @Smirke that's great news, thanks for the reply. I noticed the wiring is fairly crude so will be re-routing or covering along with a few other services (water etc.). I'm thinking I will carry two spares also, just in case. Pity you're in WA as I'll be in the market for a spare.

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks @Smirke that's great news, thanks for the reply. I noticed the wiring is fairly crude so will be re-routing or covering along with a few other services (water etc.). I'm thinking I will carry two spares also, just in case. Pity you're in WA as I'll be in the market for a spare.
we went with a 2nd hand rim and new tyre for van and 2nd hand for car. Didn't need either of them. Which was good.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all, have just placed an order on a 16-49-4 OB in preparation for a 3 month Vic-SA-NT-WA-SA-Vic trip from July - Oct next year. Coming from a soft floor camper trailer and after threatening to upgrade to an Expanda have finally done so, particularly thanks to the raft of great information on this site, thanks!

I'm building a list of modifications and one item on the list is dust sealing. Ideally we want to be able to tackle the gibb river road etc conditions permitting.

Apologies if I'm repeating other threads - I'm reading various solutions, including:
1. Sealing all gaps underneath the van, particularly hose and cable entry points and the potential big gap at the rear where the fibreglass meets the floor;
2. Ensuring a tight seal on the front and rear doors;
3. Covering the various vents; and
4. Positively pressurising the van via roof vent or other.

Given the the van will be fairly new, I'm keen to avoid the hole in the roof option if at all possible so I'm keen to hear how much success others have had at keeping dust out using the other solutions other than positive pressure?

From reading the various threads, I've interpreted that solutions 1 - 3 above seem to do a pretty good job at keeping the dust out without having to positively pressurise?

Cheers,
Shane
Hi @Shane74. Congrat on the upgrade.

We've been burning round the place since Dec last year and done 1000's of km on dirt, gravel, sand, dust, mud and of course the relentless corrugations. Before we left we did quite a bit of work to the van, and I rolled around under it on a creeper goo gun in hand and filled everything I could find. I sealed along the junctions of the wheel arches as well. Whatever sealer they used on my van Urethane wouldnt stick to it, but Sika Roof and Gutter did. After 10 months on the road we recently sprung dust leaks in the lower cabinets around the wheel arches and I suspect the vibration, heat, dust and flex got the better of it. I washed it stripped out the sealer and re did it and that seems to have worked,

I don't block vents at all, I have a piece of trampoline mat I shove in behind the lower fridge van vent "sometimes", if I rememeber which isnt often ... then I forget to take it out. Actually I think its in there now. You will get dust in if you travel on dirt roads long enough, its unavoidable but we havent found it bad. Positive pressure wont work so well in our van because we have 3 large Dometic roof hatches and they dont seal because they provide the gas venting

We didn't find the dust in the Gibb particularly bad, we've certainly had far worse.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Hi @Shane74 . We did the gibb in July this year. The only dust proofing we did was to cover the 2 air vents that were above our door and in the step. The only place we got any dust at all was in the tiny cupboard under our fridge as it came in via the fridge drainage pipe. The only thing I should have done, but didn't was to put protection over the brake wiring by the wheels, as they got attacked by the rocks. Nothing was done to the van to prep it in any way (other than the box on the front, which took all the rocks that got thrown up), however we did get a second spare....just in case.
Were we just lucky?? Who knows, but we now have 2 extra ,never used spares to sell
Hey what van do you have? We're looking for spare rim & tyre for our outback panda and am in Perth too.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Interesting. It takes a Pom to come up with a solution.

Would you have to use a snorkel as such? What about some down pipe with bends and filters ?

Just wondering....

Reactions: EDT82

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Here is a link I Remember watching few months ago. Come across it on bookface watching old mate do gibb river track. They just used top part of a safari snorkel. Great video hope it helps

This is a good idea, however you would need to ensure sufficient airflow coming in to overcome the many exit points for the air.

In our van we have 3 roof hatches, the vents in the door, above the door, the fridge and wherever Jayco has missed sealing.

To keep the pressure inside higher than outside you'd really need to be able to measure it somehow.

If you don't ensure this pressure differential then all you are doing is adding a new dust ingress point.

Reactions: dagree

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
In my industry we deal with energy efficiency and air leakage in homes. In one particular study dealing with brick veneer walls CSIRO would set off smoke flares under the house. All the coloured smoke would then reveal where all the leaks are.

One might consider the same in the van - use the flares or a smoke bomb inside and watch where the smoke escapes from. There should be enough that it will emit from every opening. Just close off the big obvious ones first to find the little ones.

(And as an exciting feature, using a coloured flare could also effectively and permanently stain the entire interior with which ever colour you choose. :behindsofa:)

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hey what van do you have? We're looking for spare rim & tyre for our outback panda and am in Perth too.

Hi @Brougham,
Keep an eye on gumtree, took me about 3 months but ended up picking up a brand new spare that matched our 2012 OB for $150 never spun a day in its life:) Jayco had my style rim in Perth but it was $270 for the rim and I had to put a tyre on as well.

Cheers Max,

Wildtrak

Jan 18, 2017
Mackay
This is a good idea, however you would need to ensure sufficient airflow coming in to overcome the many exit points for the air.

In our van we have 3 roof hatches, the vents in the door, above the door, the fridge and wherever Jayco has missed sealing.

To keep the pressure inside higher than outside you'd really need to be able to measure it somehow.

If you don't ensure this pressure differential then all you are doing is adding a new dust ingress point.
That's why the filter pads are put in place .
Driving along at 60-100km / he the input is going to be much more than the out going . The only way it can't be is if t if you have 1 single point twice the size of the input air .. path of least resistance - Ventilation 101 .

shaun520

Jan 21, 2017
Canberra
Interesting. It takes a Pom to come up with a solution.

Would you have to use a snorkel as such? What about some down pipe with bends and filters ?

Just wondering....
The Snorkel heads are also designed to allow any rain to leave the head before entering your filter, or in this case, your living room