Dust Proofing your Expanda ?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
With the Velcro around the vents, do you recommend putting the Velcro around the edge of the vent (on the plastic) or on the van wall (the fiberglass around the vent)?

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
With the Velcro around the vents, do you recommend putting the Velcro around the edge of the vent (on the plastic) or on the van wall (the fiberglass around the vent)?
I stuck it to the van itself, vents that are low and have the C/plate aorund them as per the OB's are a little harder, i struggled to get the stuff to stick so perhaps for them on the actual vent?
Cheers

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Im about to make a "positive pressure" system for our Discovery using a Hilux air filter box and vehicle fan blower. Air will be sucked in through the filter by the fan and blown into the van to pressure it and hopefully keeping dust out. Well thats my plan anyway.

Reactions: WHHEMI and dakky68

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Im about to make a "positive pressure" system for our Discovery using a Hilux air filter box and vehicle fan blower. Air will be sucked in through the filter by the fan and blown into the van to pressure it and hopefully keeping dust out. Well thats my plan anyway.
I had that thought myself, i will be interested to see how that goes, let me know!
Cheers

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au

Let us know Moto Mech when you are done and what it looks like. Would be interesting to see it. :)
Ants

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
A feature you might want is a remote control or wired switch to activate and deactivate the positive pressure system.

When you are the only one on the road, then activate it and have a vent seal open and fans running, however, if there is someone coming the other way or in front of you kicking up dust, deactivate fans and seal the vent.

Rohan's Idea (patent pending)! I am sure there is a buck to be made here :blabla:

Reactions: dakky68

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
A feature you might want is a remote control or wired switch to activate and deactivate the positive pressure system.

When you are the only one on the road, then activate it and have a vent seal open and fans running, however, if there is someone coming the other way or in front of you kicking up dust, deactivate fans and seal the vent.

Rohan's Idea (patent pending)! I am sure there is a buck to be made here :blabla:

Perhaps one of those motion sensitive fridge switches as well?

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
We have a pressure hatch on the roof (I don't think Jayco fit them now) and these work well as long as the door vent is blocked off.

Pictures below of the fridge covers made from poly carb and small eye bolts that screw into a small hole drilled in the vent right at the back of the cover, the top vent needs the plastic removable part around the exhaust trimmed so the cover fits in flat.

The door one is a piece of acrylic with the same eye bolts.

Christian

image0039.jpg image0041.jpg[ ATTACH=CONFIG]10702[/ATTACH] image0043.jpg

Gregory River Riversleigh.jpg LawnHill River.jpg image0039.jpg

Attachments

• image0042.jpg
    image0042.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 903
Reactions: blacky

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Quick question on pressurising the cab of van. If you have a shower model could you leave the vent for that open forcing air into the van that way.?

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane

how did you go??

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
a scupper vent works wonders on the roof, great on a car canopy as well
and a trick i use for testing seals is to smear a bit of grease on the seal then close the hatch gently and latch it, when you open it the grease smear shows how well the seal is working. of course then you have to clean the grease off :)
we replace most leaking seals with a double lip seal, that usually fixes the bugger

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I haven't got there yet, but I'm copying someone else's idea (from here somewhere) using a pod filter, a 2" bilge blower fan and some 2" duct mounted behind the top fridge vent panel.... early days :)

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
They used to use positive air pressure from inside the mid 80's coaches, suck air out of inside the coach thru the floor into luggage compartment to keep dust out of bags. Always seemed to work then so I think same principal would work in van as long as you can get clean air from some where. Barney.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Absolutely barney, earthmoving machinery in particular, rely on positive cabin pressure to keep the dust out. Its a winner as long as the fan is turned on :)

Reactions: barney120

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
a scupper vent works wonders on the roof, great on a car canopy as well
and a trick i use for testing seals is to smear a bit of grease on the seal then close the hatch gently and latch it, when you open it the grease smear shows how well the seal is working. of course then you have to clean the grease off :)
we replace most leaking seals with a double lip seal, that usually fixes the bugger

Thanks @DaveS . So a jayco service centre can do this if required. Id be too scared to cut a hole and this way if the tech stuffs it the service centre can pay to fix it..lol. Mite just look up what a scupper vent is. cheers again

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem of dust coming into the back of a ute with a canopy? Thanks! Maybe take it to ARB or TJM to fix?
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
just go to e-bay and search dust seal for ute tailgate and there is a store there called autorubbers , sells seals for lots of models, pretty cheap too. Barney