Dust Proofing your Expanda ?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
We did the Great Central Road in August last year, 1200km of dirt, and i can tell you Im so glad it some work on dust proofing the van. I sealed all underneath, every little hole i could find. I also positively pressurised the van with a sports air filter and a blower in the top fridge vent, worked like a treat at any speed.
image.jpg

Rusty

Aug 19, 2014
Thorlie WA
We did the Great Central Road in August last year, 1200km of dirt, and i can tell you Im so glad it some work on dust proofing the van. I sealed all underneath, every little hole i could find. I also positively pressurised the van with a sports air filter and a blower in the top fridge vent, worked like a treat at any speed.View attachment 20702
Hi Greg,
Could you please tell me where you purchased the sports filter and the 3" flexi tubing from. Did the sports filter have a model or part number?
Thanks Rusty

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi Rusty,

I got the air filter from supercheap auto, just make sure it has a 75mm neck to fit the blower. The ducting i got from whitworths a boating supply store.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Greg

Last edited:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We did the Great Central Road in August last year, 1200km of dirt, and i can tell you Im so glad it some work on dust proofing the van. I sealed all underneath, every little hole i could find. I also positively pressurised the van with a sports air filter and a blower in the top fridge vent, worked like a treat at any speed.View attachment 20702
Hi @GregW
Nice work
Can you please tell me how/where the ducting entered the internals of the van from the back of the fridge?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi @GregW
Nice work
Can you please tell me how/where the ducting entered the internals of the van from the back of the fridge?
Hi Relgate,

I drilled a 75mm hole in the wall next to the fridge, mine came out just under the water monitor. I used a 75mm hole saw, and then covered it with a wall vent plate from whitworths boat supplies. I will try and get you a photo.

Cheers

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty and relgate

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Greg so to be clear your pulling air from the top fridge vent into the cabin through the air filter?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Yes thats correct, the filter stops any dust from being pushed into the van. I have the fan / blower wired up with a switch under the van, so that i can turn it on and off without going into the van.

Reactions: burnsie

Kevin Jones

Apr 5, 2015
Tom Price, WA
Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem of dust coming into the back of a ute with a canopy? Thanks! Maybe take it to ARB or TJM to fix?
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
If your canopy has a window at the front, open it. That helps pressurise the canopy area and will limit dust. Works on mine

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I want pictures !
I need ideas, I want to mount it on the roof where the clean air is, but then it would be eaiser and may be just as good (with a stone stomper) down near the draw bar pumping into the front tunnel, then into the van. But then Im going to mount the generator there......this is why Its still in the box.
EDIT
Here's a pic
WP_20150408_001.jpg
WP_20150408_002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Base23 and achjimmy

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have spoken to the guys that sell these and they say that they work great for vans and to pressure seal them, only thing is if you want to buy a new one of these they are $1200 ex GST new then you have to get it installed or cut some holes yourself. :o

you got yours at a great price @ShaneT ........

Shane74

Oct 5, 2016
Geelong region
Hi all, have just placed an order on a 16-49-4 OB in preparation for a 3 month Vic-SA-NT-WA-SA-Vic trip from July - Oct next year. Coming from a soft floor camper trailer and after threatening to upgrade to an Expanda have finally done so, particularly thanks to the raft of great information on this site, thanks!

I'm building a list of modifications and one item on the list is dust sealing. Ideally we want to be able to tackle the gibb river road etc conditions permitting.

Apologies if I'm repeating other threads - I'm reading various solutions, including:
1. Sealing all gaps underneath the van, particularly hose and cable entry points and the potential big gap at the rear where the fibreglass meets the floor;
2. Ensuring a tight seal on the front and rear doors;
3. Covering the various vents; and
4. Positively pressurising the van via roof vent or other.

Given the the van will be fairly new, I'm keen to avoid the hole in the roof option if at all possible so I'm keen to hear how much success others have had at keeping dust out using the other solutions other than positive pressure?

From reading the various threads, I've interpreted that solutions 1 - 3 above seem to do a pretty good job at keeping the dust out without having to positively pressurise?

Cheers,
Shane

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Hi Shane,
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.
12 months ago we travelled basically on the dirt from Bairanald to Mungo NP, Menindee Lakes then to Bourke via Wilcannia. This is roughly 600km. Whilst the Gibb River Rd is a different beast we still encountered bull dust etc.
My attempt at dust proofing was installing a home made hatch under the van to cover the wall mount A/C unit air intake through the floor and covering all passive vents with corflu and duct tape. I left the top vent for the fridge uncovered to allow heat to escape whilst on 12V. it worked well. On a rest break I went into the van to check for dust to find the kids bed having a fine coating but this was because the didn't close the window properly so make sure you do that.