Drovers Return to the world of Jeep

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
One for Drover !Put a deposit on a 2015 GC Srt. 63000 ks last week,too long without a project!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So don't forget the pics, not too many mind or I will get you banned...............;););););)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now back on topic............................

The Jeeperific MKII has now been re-sprung, gone from a third of a can at the front to a full can of space, the old springs had sagged a bit now she is looking very cool, ride is much better and can't wait to go on tour...... I can also roll underneath ....
Mind you a ob that I should have sorted in a day took me 3, just those problems that can happen on any of these jobs........ the first ball joint gave me heaps when the nut locked up and I used a splitter to get it off, checking with a big lamp on the other side I find a locktite paint all over the threads, the second one didn't give me trouble, then I stuffed a thread up later on, while I knew the theory well enough and had the gear, I didn't want to chance an expensive stuff up so whistled in an mate, a fitter& turner, so that got sorted easy enough and proved my theory was correct, plus I kept him around just in case..........It all running sweet, rides great and handles throwing around bends like its glued to the road......... very happy except I broke a speed sensor so await a package from the US for a part......... cost from US with freight is still about a third of the price over here............... dealer would be about 6 times more. Message_1612590950553.jpg

Reactions: 1DayIll and BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Now back on topic............................

The Jeeperific MKII has now been re-sprung, gone from a third of a can at the front to a full can of space, the old springs had sagged a bit now she is looking very cool, ride is much better and can't wait to go on tour...... I can also roll underneath ....
Mind you a ob that I should have sorted in a day took me 3, just those problems that can happen on any of these jobs........ the first ball joint gave me heaps when the nut locked up and I used a splitter to get it off, checking with a big lamp on the other side I find a locktite paint all over the threads, the second one didn't give me trouble, then I stuffed a thread up later on, while I knew the theory well enough and had the gear, I didn't want to chance an expensive stuff up so whistled in an mate, a fitter& turner, so that got sorted easy enough and proved my theory was correct, plus I kept him around just in case..........It all running sweet, rides great and handles throwing around bends like its glued to the road......... very happy except I broke a speed sensor so await a package from the US for a part......... cost from US with freight is still about a third of the price over here............... dealer would be about 6 times more.View attachment 66395

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeppers, its the getting down and getting back up thats the problem..........:D:D:D

But I think I may hang up the spanners, the fun just isn't there any more, well it is when the jobs done but the next morning, bluddy hell do I pay .

Reactions: BJM

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yeppers, its the getting down and getting back up thats the problem..........:D:D:D

But I think I may hang up the spanners, the fun just isn't there any more, well it is when the jobs done but the next morning, bluddy hell do I pay .
I know the feeling, daughter has sold her XTrail (she bought a Jeep) but had to get the inspection certificate. Got knocked back because one rear door could not be opened from outside. Guess who thought it would be an easy job to fix? Pulled panel off door, promptly got covered in black goo used to hold plastic sheet to door. Found a cable broken at end so pulled whole assembly out, repaired cable and reassembled. Tested and would not open from inside or outside. :o Door could not be opened at all. 3 hours yesterday afternoon/evening trying to get panel off, managed that this morning, but could not release latch inside. Poked around inside door (getting covered in black goo again) for a couple of hours, finally tripping some latch and the door opened. :oops: Pulled assembly apart again, got it working, fitted it and tested it (without shutting door) and it didn’t work. Pulled it out and it worked, put back and not working. Backed clamping screws off slightly and all good.

Around 11 hours of me stuffing around, inspection certificate granted and buyer has picked up car. I still can’t get the black crap out of my hands, even after masses of rags and turps so, like @Drover , I am over working on cars. And I have to get up at 4:00am tomorrow to get on a plane to Sydney.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I know the feeling, daughter has sold her XTrail (she bought a Jeep) but had to get the inspection certificate. Got knocked back because one rear door could not be opened from outside. Guess who thought it would be an easy job to fix? Pulled panel off door, promptly got covered in black goo used to hold plastic sheet to door. Found a cable broken at end so pulled whole assembly out, repaired cable and reassembled. Tested and would not open from inside or outside. :o Door could not be opened at all. 3 hours yesterday afternoon/evening trying to get panel off, managed that this morning, but could not release latch inside. Poked around inside door (getting covered in black goo again) for a couple of hours, finally tripping some latch and the door opened. :oops: Pulled assembly apart again, got it working, fitted it and tested it (without shutting door) and it didn’t work. Pulled it out and it worked, put back and not working. Backed clamping screws off slightly and all good.

Around 11 hours of me stuffing around, inspection certificate granted and buyer has picked up car. I still can’t get the black crap out of my hands, even after masses of rags and turps so, like @Drover , I am over working on cars. And I have to get up at 4:00am tomorrow to get on a plane to Sydney.
Too much muscle on the screwdriver/spanner @chartrock !!! What a frustrating time. I too am getting too old for that sort of #@&^%*!

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It should be noted this was a Nissan with a problem not a JeeP................

If the plastic was going to come off easy, a spray with mild soapy water on mastic and cover with glad wrap, if plastic was difficult leave it and slice it open, replace with new stuff later......... always lots of swearing with door latches.

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sitting nicely now and all systems are go since I replaced the 2 speed sensors that some galah broke...... test run with Big Mal on the back to get the set up right before we get away in about 5 weeks, might be lucky and leave the WDH at home...... there a few kgs saved.

.Lift.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sitting nicely now and all systems are go since I replaced the 2 speed sensors that some galah broke...... test run with Big Mal on the back to get the set up right before we get away in about 5 weeks, might be lucky and leave the WDH at home...... there a few kgs saved.

.View attachment 66424
If you get some proper shock absorbers, say Toyota ones for example, you could remove the beer cans without the car dropping to the bump stops :D

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More Woke BS, that's all I can say......at least the Queen's I knew were happy with Queensland...v

• Haha
Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I did it, the Jeeperific went over the Jenny Craigs, in its around town load config, I will take Big Mal along next time I think it might be scary and if anyone is towing more than 2.5t with one, weight wise they may be not quite kosher, you can easily bounce the GVM, mines close with just full fuel, 2 people add a ball weight and your at Bingo, so I very much doubt you could legally drag more than 2.9t..............

Am I going to tell you the numbers ?????? No, I'm not... lots of people believe in Tare weights so the knowledge would be wasted.

Last edited: