Drovers Return to the world of Jeep

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
Something I didn't have to worry about with the Colorado and which I keep forgetting about with the Jeeperific is stone damage to the rear window and while a bit of dirt towing with BIg Mal last year showed not a lot is thrown very high at van I have always been of the mind that it only needs one not to conform......
So while I am fully aware that things like Stone Stompers are around they do require a bucket of money, a stone guard across the front of Big Mal in the normal style isn't possible as it would be inside the Magic 900 but a design in the same line as the gas bottles would be possible but I would need to make one which has wings off the bottles and I may have to go that way BUT I have an idea of using .3mm plastic sheeting across the back window, similar to the light and body Skinz you can get, test sample over back window to see how it lays and try to figure out a way to secure other than gaffa tape................... There are plexi panels you can get but at $300 a bit much but making my own is an option if I can heat mould it okay......... KiSS principle applies........... not having a furry skirt across back of vehicle can end up throwing more than they stop..........

20200521_091749.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Something I didn't have to worry about with the Colorado and which I keep forgetting about with the Jeeperific is stone damage to the rear window and while a bit of dirt towing with BIg Mal last year showed not a lot is thrown very high at van I have always been of the mind that it only needs one not to conform......
So while I am fully aware that things like Stone Stompers are around they do require a bucket of money, a stone guard across the front of Big Mal in the normal style isn't possible as it would be inside the Magic 900 but a design in the same line as the gas bottles would be possible but I would need to make one which has wings off the bottles and I may have to go that way BUT I have an idea of using .3mm plastic sheeting across the back window, similar to the light and body Skinz you can get, test sample over back window to see how it lays and try to figure out a way to secure other than gaffa tape................... There are plexi panels you can get but at $300 a bit much but making my own is an option if I can heat mould it okay......... KiSS principle applies........... not having a furry skirt across back of vehicle can end up throwing more than they stop..........

View attachment 65144
StoneStompers quite often come up 2nd hand, two not so longer ago, one of which I sent to a mate who bought it at a very reasonable price. That sort of stuff will protect the car as well I suppose.

I had acrylic panels on my old GQ Patrol rear door windows, particularly because the after market window industry in those days didnt supply them which meant only genuine if you busted one $$$, which is like being punched in the face and robbed at the same time.

The panels just clipped on with the self adhesive tabs we used to use to attached the external plastic Guido louvres on the back windows of cars with. The tab base stayed stuck to the glass all the time and the bayonet bits stayed in the acrylic covers, and just locked them on when needed. Simple and worked wonderfully for many many years.

You could get thin acrylic from Bunnings lay it on, mark it, cut it and bing bang boom you done. If the tabs are still around you could use extra tabs as the standoffs mid window to follow the curve, or just use high density foam dots stuck the acrylic.

Ask, and yee shall receive. I cant believe they are still around and how easy it was to find them

Aunger Louvre Fitting Kit Rear Louvre Mounting Clips Set of 9

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
When I had the odd car they always got a set of them and guess what I have stashed away in a draw somewhere in my shed a set of those clips, tape might need replacing, more ideas to visit great stuff........ Lots of old coots packing up their touring maps around here so might even keep an eye out for stompers, though some are really tight bustards and expect more than they paid for 'em.......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
When I had the odd car they always got a set of them and guess what I have stashed away in a draw somewhere in my shed a set of those clips, tape might need replacing, more ideas to visit great stuff........ Lots of old coots packing up their touring maps around here so might even keep an eye out for stompers, though some are really tight bustards and expect more than they paid for 'em.......
We'll be heading north hopefully in Sept, so you can cast your search south too