Drovers 14.44.3

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Decision, put up 200mts of dog proof fence or go with daughter to Goomburra Valley campground to test their newly aquired Swan. Lovely weekend at Goomburra...pump and grey water mods passed the test....................Monday means fencing yuck.........

goomburracook.jpg

goomcamp.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Grey Water tank mod has killed my spare under the back mod, bugga !!!, it has put the tyre nearly at the back end and would cause a hang up and defeat the purpose of raising the rig in the first place, I have a bastard of a drive way. Looks like a rack on the bumper job.
Watch this space, but may be awhile as we head off again next week.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @Drover, I went to the trouble of mounting the spare underneath the rear but did not enjoy getting it out and then putting it back again so I went the other way and made a new rear bar and a swing down tyre mount. Check it out here.

Oops, I should have read the next thread. :oops:

Reactions: Drover and blacky

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
2 days till we hit the road and I buy a reversing cam at Repco, on special $59, only a basic job, small screen which is good as not a lot of room and only takes 1 cam but I could sort another out for the tow bar but hell I used to hook up trailers with mirrors on semi's, maybe later.
So wired it up, wanted to put the cam up top but couldn't get the wire down so time being the essence stuck it on the number plate, only want to see if anyone is tucked in behind, may move it later on.
Since I have a 12 pin socket on the Jeep I just swapped the 7 for a 12 on the van and all the wires are happily together, of course the 10m of cable wasn't long enough but I had a 5mt USB/Printer cable which got reconfigured to run the vehicle side and it all works, first go so that surprised me.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Update to my water pump mod will be required.......... -2 at Warialda and my water has frozen so will have to put some insulation over the lines I think. Removed the mains hose so it wouldn't freeze but didn't expect the lines under the van too though.

The rear view camera worked but will need a better cam, the one I have would be good as a tow ball cam but a vehicle has to be about 5Mts from me before I can see the damn thing.

Warialda Caravan Park

Attachments

• warialda01.jpg
    warialda01.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 270

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have added another job for the " To Do List" the windows in the roof need a clear plastic window as well as a fly screen, so when I get back it will be off to Bunnings for some plastic and velcro, when it's cold need to get more light in but keep the cold out. Stay tuned I'll do some pics when I do it. Nice at the Beach by the way.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Back from a 3 week run, very happy nothing broke, the grey water tank worked really well and the relocated water pump didn't fall off and the new position is much better. My new wider, higher load rated tyres performed much better than the previous units and due to the bloody freezing temps at night the A/C did a lot of work in the heat mode much to our pleasure. Nearly forgot the Wine Rack was well utilized, held up to all rigors and was restocked at Riversands Wines at St George. excellant place,may need to increase the size of the rack though.

Lightning Ridge is a brilliant place to visit, it's on the return visit list I love the Artesian Pools, St George is worth another visit just for the fishing and Rainbow beach, well it's always on the list, Bingara has some great camps along the river and Warialda is a really nice town.
Couple of pics here for those tied to a desk.......lol.

Gwydercamp.jpg

Gwydir River Camp

earlymorn.jpg

Early morning Lightning Ridge.

nindy2.jpg

Nindigully......

RB1.jpg

Needed some beach...Rainbow Beach

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
nice pics. I want to get back to Bingara and spend some time there as I have relatives who are residents of the cemetary. Just a question on your A/C do you run it on a generator and if so what size. Thanks.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My Honda 2kva runs it okay but then I've not used it a lot, the genny that is, if it's going to be really cold I run to a park and plug in to 240.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here's my rear wheel rack, used a shocky end as a hinge and made a pin up similar to a Hitch pin for the lock pin on top. The tyre sits on a saddle with a hole in it big enough for a padlock and just 2 wheel stud nuts.

Oh and I used the original bumper as it was just as thick as the ones I saw at the Van show but added a couple of support braces, if it does anything it may twist, will see but the rack can be removed easily with a grinder and transfered to a new rail without any major hassle.

tyre01m.jpg
End of shocky mount, weld onto a bit of plate then onto the end of the tyre mount.

tyre02m.jpg
Shocky mount reborn..................

tyre05m.jpg
Happy days it worked. Did stress test by jumping on it only damage done was when I fell off and that was to me.

tyre07m.jpg

Finished, and everything works. The wheel sits on a saddle which has a hole for a big pad lock to make sure it stays put. Just have to knock up a wheel cover next week, grey vinyl or green canvas.
Well while it worked a treat I got sick of getting dirty dropping it down so it's now moved underneath.

tyre08m.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I have fitted my mesh rack which fits into the old tyre rack on the front, what a bloody pain to build. I had about 1.5sqm of some weld mesh about 50mm square stuff I thought that would be enough, I really needed near 2.5 sqm, built the thing in 2 sections, really needed a big sheet of the stuff so I could bend it to the shape I wanted but I had to do a section tack job with the mig ,anyway I know how to do it next time. With it loaded up with the hoses and stuff and the stone guard in the way the horrible bits are covered. Phone went flat so no pic till later.........

Last edited:

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Some great mods there @Drover
I love learning new tricks :) don't be rude off now I never kept an old shock :) As just got new ones. Loved the wine rack have a section to incorporate this beside the water heater.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here's the pic of my Hose Rack, the plan is to put a hinged wire lid on it, was going to use a net but the wire lid I think will be easier in the long run and a bit more secure. Will get a bit of that rubber mat with holes in it to lay on the bottom to help stop goolies and have a bit cut to use as a floor mat under step etc. If you plan to do similar cut the rear tyre support off, that will allow you to load your rack into position, better if you bend the wire to the shape you want than pissing around migging the stuff I can tell you, when it's in position just replace the the bit you cut off. I used weld mesh fence ties and tek screws to hold it down then the wire won't snap. Only carrying my grey water hose, chocks, blocks and other stuff that don't mind the weather, water hose stays in the boot. Should work okay.............Next up LED light strip outside and shorter LED bits in the cupboards, just hope I can get that damn outside light off again without breaking it to run my wires in...........................................

front rack.jpg

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
great mod that. Just looking at the picture above I noticed parts of your stone guard. Do you have anymore shots you can share please. Is a commercially available one or home made.