Drovers 14.44.3

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No new mods done just sitting back relaxing.........................

might be noisy but what a sound.

spit03.jpg

boom01.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh crap, at Red Rock and the water pump is pumping water out the water inlet pipe when I turn the tap on, I suppose this means that stupid non return/pressure valve is stuffed on the mains inlet line. Damn I wanted to go fishing.
Temporary fix connect hose and plug it onto tap on drawbar, bingo no leak, no pressure loss.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Oh crap, at Red Rock and the water pump is pumping water out the water inlet pipe when I turn the tap on, I suppose this means that stupid non return/pressure valve is stuffed on the mains inlet line. Damn I wanted to go fishing.
Temporary fix connect hose and plug it onto tap on drawbar, bingo no leak, no pressure loss.
Drover,
Or do what I did and just take the insides out but you will need a Allan key and a couple spanners. Then reinstall...sounds like you have it sorted though:eagerness: :fish2:

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Going to pull it off this morning and have a look, also found the O rings on the hand pump are stuffed so might just go down the road to Coffs and visit Jayco there for some bits, hmmmmm might just stop at ALDI and restock the beer fridge while I'm there.

Hand pump was good a few days ago, missus broke a mirror the other day, now I'm worried.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
All fixed, it seems that the valve I have is a pressure/non return unit (plastic and brass)the new ones are just a pressure regulator (fully brass)and are $95, so I bought a $20 non return valve and fitted it in line and all is good. Paid off carrying spare hose and fittings with me though.
Jayco Coffs Habour seem to be well equipped and have reasonable prices for stuff.

Reactions: skippy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bit more tinkering now I'm home, fitted an 85deg cam on the back so I can see more than 5ft behind me. Took what I thought the easier option and added a post on my drop down tyre rack to mount the cam, turned out okay I think but I had to ensure the connectors were w/tight since they would normally be inside, just a minor pain to do and shield the cable. For some reason there is a 12v live circuit amongst the cabling behind the tail lights, why I don't know but it runs the outside and sink lights on my rig, ???? Running the cable inside I thought would be a hassle after my side light adventure but I think they are about even. If you don't have a tyre rack it isn't a problem, its the only option. Picture looks good but will have to see on the next trip how stable it will be.
IMG_20141104_164110.jpg
IMG_20141104_164123.jpg
The cam is white because it was originally gonna go on the roof and the tyre rack is black because it doesn't show up the mistakes. lol.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just gave the grey water tank a good hose out, boy oh boy my version of the tank has got to be heaps better than using a water tank type. You would not believe the crap that came out of it there's no way you could get that out from the other tanks, no wonder they need S bends in the drains, yuck, crud like a grease trap...................:o
If you look back a couple of pages you will see pics of mine, just remove end cap and hose it out.:biggrin-26:

Reactions: Wanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Been away a week so far and no great mods planned for when I get back, yet ......................but then I don't really want to go home......
Corindi River NSW..
Now that looks like a pleasant way to whittle off a few hours. What rig are you using, is it working, what are you getting ...... and whats the Copywrite logo doing in the bottom corner. Are you sure that's your photo??? Looks a little National Geographic'ish to me.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lovely clear water, black fish, whiting, bream, mullet, crabs......my Yak is an Eco Tandem from BCF tracks well and is stable, sadly we are now up in the Blue Mountains in a cosy little glen behind a mates place and thats the last time I do a long fast run down the Pacific great road but I really do prefer the back roads.
The tag at the bottom is mine PBNC.................you will never work out what it stands for.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Done Canberra, Moruya and Sussex Inlet, didn't see one Expanda downunder member. Left Sussex and now sitting back at Molong after a rather quick run thru Nerriga, Goulburn, Crookwell and Blayney, the van got a good dust test run as well with at least 50km of dirt travelled, very happy no dust inside,, another successful mod.
Molong van park nice, $20.50 power for 2A, grassy site and short walk to shops and pub only smal but tidy.

IMG_20150106_174822.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well back home again another 5000km racked up, nothing fell off but did have to replace the 3 way tap for the tanks, it was sucking air, replaced with 2 garden irrigation taps from The Green Shed and we now have some water pressure again, a whole $4.95 for 2.

The spare tyre rack is coming off the back and is going underneath, a wind up job, getting too bloody dirty dropping it down each time and being about 1mt high it can sometimes upset the balance so underneath and forward a bit should rectify the problem, down 400 and forward nearly a metre.

Other mod will be replacing the sink drain starting with the sink hole and then maybe pvc back to grey tank if it doesn't run better.

The Mk4 stone guard has done well 8,000k and no new chips, hit some newly laid surface, over a rise at 95 and there it was 8ft wide by 20ft long, straight into it rocks and tar flying everywhere and no tar on van at all, mud flaps copped it and draw bar but not the front of van......so happy.

Free camps worth a visit:
Leyburn QLD
Karara QLD
Coolatai, NSW
Bingara, NSW

Anyone know of some 6 stud +9 offset 15 x 7JJ rims I'm after 3.................

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
not sure of the off set, but that sounds like the factory steel wheels off a GQ Patrol mate
or 15x6JJ they could be - not too sure........

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@bigcol, the ones on the van are 15"6JJ with a +9 offset, I just want wider rims to throw some better tyres on............235's sit better on 7's than 6's.

Update the rims aren't +9 offset, measure at 80mm and the stamp I think says -6 or -9....

Didn't GQ's come out in 16" ??

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wonder what the weight difference is , steel to alloy ? more kg than I can afford to add in all probability.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Spoke too soon, scrubbed down the van, front escaped the tar but not so the back, once the dirt was washed off, little black dots all over the place so out with the kero then another polish.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Wonder what the weight difference is , steel to alloy ? more kg than I can afford to add in all probability.

you know........ I've never ever checked............ I would have thought they would be close to the same weight

I'm more of a "this is what I want...." type of person
(thats why I'm hopeless at fuel consumption figures - I just fill it up and forget to write it down)

Reactions: dagree