Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Finally, we have pulled the trigger on Xmas Roastrip 2020. Headed off this morning for 5 weeks, and we're now camped up on the bank of the Yass Rv. Its very weird (and awesome) to walk into anywhere and no-one is wearing a damn mask.

IMG_20201212_192023.jpg

In other news, there are way tooooo many useless features on the way tooooo stupidly expensive GME XRS

20201212_162310~01.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Quick review of the more significant lockdown mods and maintenance on the Troopy and van.

Cheesecutter v GXL wheels. All poverty pack 70s all arrive with cheesecutters, all GXLs (except Troopy) come with the wider smaller tyres on the alloys. Now i have the GXL rims, all has been revealed. GXLs come with extended wheel arch flares, no such rear flares exist for the Troopy and no point having front only. The GXL tyres are maybe 20mm past the guard on my Troopy so thats the reason for my cheesecutters.

Performance wise, with the GXL rims the increase in tow stability and drivability is extraordinary. I may encounter a slight increase in fuel, but im guessing the majority of any increase will be offset against rolling a now smaller lighter wheel.

The new brakes all round on the van have taken around 1000km to bed in properly. Ive not experienced such a long period before, and after mulitple rounds of adj was about to ditch the eBay specials and replace them with Alko. Disaster averted, brakes really good now.

New Donaldson shocks ??? ... i could brag about how great they are, and the extraordinary improvement they make, but i have no clue really. How the hell would i know, its all happening behind me. Im think Donaldsons are a better option than the Jayco/Pedders, and its certainly better to have shocks that arent worn out.

The dodgy shocks werent a sigificant contributing factor to the Troopys wobbling, because i didnt experience any of those issue with the Navara

Anyways, lockdown has privided an opportunity ti strip out years of accumulated van junk just taking up space. The crap we carted about is extraordinary. We have significant storage space so its easy to just leave it, but now we have completely empty cabinets.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Quick review of the more significant lockdown mods and maintenance on the Troopy and van.

Cheesecutter v GXL wheels. All poverty pack 70s all arrive with cheesecutters, all GXLs (except Troopy) come with the wider smaller tyres on the alloys. Now i have the GXL rims, all has been revealed. GXLs come with extended wheel arch flares, no such rear flares exist for the Troopy and no point having front only. The GXL tyres are maybe 20mm past the guard on my Troopy so thats the reason for my cheesecutters.

Performance wise, with the GXL rims the increase in tow stability and drivability is extraordinary. I may encounter a slight increase in fuel, but im guessing the majority of any increase will be offset against rolling a now smaller lighter wheel.

The new brakes all round on the van have taken around 1000km to bed in properly. Ive not experienced such a long period before, and after mulitple rounds of adj was about to ditch the eBay specials and replace them with Alko. Disaster averted, brakes really good now.

New Donaldson shocks ??? ... i could brag about how great they are, and the extraordinary improvement they make, but i have no clue really. How the hell would i know, its all happening behind me. Im think Donaldsons are a better option than the Jayco/Pedders, and its certainly better to have shocks that arent worn out.

The dodgy shocks werent a sigificant contributing factor to the Troopys wobbling, because i didnt experience any of those issue with the Navara

Anyways, lockdown has privided an opportunity ti strip out years of accumulated van junk just taking up space. The crap we carted about is extraordinary. We have significant storage space so its easy to just leave it, but now we have completely empty cabinets.
i'd say most of us carry a lot of stuff that should stay at home

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last year I have been a demon in clearing out the stuff I don't use and was surprised at what I found, why in hell would I want a set of bearings for a 14.44 Panda, I think I originally thought I could come across someone and give them to him as spares but to date, nope haven't found anyone, thye must be hiding in van parks anyway too late they are in the shed.....have to see if they fit my boat trailer............ I look at things now if I need something I will help some towns economy and buy local, so far its worked very well.......... just carry spare bearings, stubbie holders, coffee cup and hammer, no need for other junk.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I can see why those who buy new utes get rid of those wheels, just an observation
Thats just nasty when I was super happy and proud as punch, particularly after @Bluey 's positive encouragement. Now im just not sure, confused and torn between my desire to please others and my desire to tell em to f$%* off ....

(Would painting them black change your opinion ???)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thats just nasty when I was super happy and proud as punch, particularly after @Bluey 's positive encouragement. Now im just not sure, confused and torn between my desire to please others and my desire to tell em to f$%* off ....

Maybe this is the answer. Just ask Nana. :oops:
E007D7FA-B553-44F4-ACC8-E488E2C30681.jpeg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia

Did i encourage you ....... dont do it keep your old rims dont waist your money thats foolish ......bye them great idea best idea eva great mod...... if you do it you will kill your car never be the same .....id do it for sure ..... id never do that good luck ...... stupid idea ... hope that clears that up ...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Was a clothing optional beach in the past!
Its labelled nudie on every one of coastal pathway marker map the entire 8km right thru to the lighthouse. According to the local paper it was was never "officially" a dingle dangle beach, i suppose just tolerated. But now because its part of the coastal track, the council have poo poo'ed the party completely. There was a couple of old munchers up the far end, far away from the tourist route, and you'd need pretty strong binoculars to be able to be offended.

Councils ... I just luv em