Cooking in a 17.65.2

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi there everyone.
We havn't made the final decision on which expanda to get yet (nor has the bank...) but we are leaning heavily towards a 17.56.2
I have done most of the research and most of my focus has been on quality, layout, mechanics, electrics, etc.
I was chatting to the wife and telling her that I thought the biggest prob with the model mentioned is that there is very little bench space in the kitchen. We have 3 children: 2, 4 and 7. Her comment was that she would like to know how others get on with cooking (including food and utensil storage, preperation etc). Obviously we would use the BBQ as much as possible, but my dear wife would like to know how others get on 'inside' the kitchen. I guess the question could extend to tings like clothes storage etc, but that might be better off in another thread.
Any like to share their experiences?

wanderer20

Dec 20, 2011
South Australia
Cooking and Cupboard Space in 17.56-2

We to had the delema of cupboard space and bench space in our 17.56-2 so added a mod by taking out the seats and table under the top bunk.

This gave us a lot of extra cupboard space (would have been in trouble without it) and bench space for meal preperation etc.

IMG_0311.JPGIMG_0307.JPGAlso got the mod that allows main table to be turnred into bed for grandkids.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep....with 3 kids you'll need all the storage you can get.
We too got rid of the dunny and shower and had a double wardrobe fitted there instead.

We needed both bunks though so we couldn't do the mod shown above.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Well our 17.56-2 is due next week so we have not sorted all the cooking/storage arrangements out.- Unfortunately we could not upgrade to major bench space where bunk is - we need it with the 4 kids. Moving out of the Hawk and into the Expanda will be a big change for us not least the concept of a toilet/shower - with 4 girls and one of them just hitting the pre-teen category we figured the toilet shower was a good option/privacy - especially since we are looking at doing the big round AUst trip in 2014. When doing most of our weekend camping or 1/2 week holidays in the Hawk we did alot of our cooking outside. With the expanda we have opted for the external table so we can put the primus cookstove out there and also having the weber Q alot of cooking will be done outside under the awning. We also thought the bottom bunk/table area would be good during the big trip to use as a school desk study area as we would have one in Grade 5 and grade 7 at this stage - we have ensured we have a 12 volt point installed adjacent to hook in a computer. The other 2 kids would be in Grade 1 and Kindergarten/Prep so it would not be that big a deal for them to have seperate study space. Really it depends what or how you want to use your van - we have looked at getting a van that primarily will suit our needs for the big trip but will hopefully service our needs for years to come - storage and being very selective with what we take on our trips will be our biggest challenge.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
family of 6 we are. a little planning leading into the trip for types of meals to cook makes a heap of difference for meal time preparation. use of the rear dinnette as secondary prep area come in use. we asked jayco to include a flip out bench (much like seen on bbq's) to be utilised along side of sink area,though they no due to exit abstructed in case of fire, fair enough we thought. as for the cupboard space for cutlery/utensils etc... from the swan we had, no drama there. my minister for war and finance though too the tiolet would smell, though #1's is all we use it for (sorry if that was too much information,lol) though no smell with the use of chemical in tank and waste. go the 17.56-2.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Wife is a Chef and has no dramas at all, most of the time we are outside when she is cooking, but If we are inside we are usually around the table out of the way. I would not swap the toilet and shower for the world!! I was unsure about it at the start but both the wife and I are 100% sure we wouldn't buy another van without the combo, The Shower is awesome the toilet is convenient. Have fun deciding!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Wow Wanderer20, I love the mod. Very cool. Unfortunately we feel we need both bunk beds coz grandma wants to come and we love the idea of the kids table.
busybusymum, We are also planning the round Oz trip in a couple of years so the table here should prove very handy for homework and kids space. time will tell.
I love how the mention of toilet and shower divides opinion! I can see both sides, but in our case the wife is very keen to have both options available, even in caravan parks. I suspect we will not actually use them that much because of the hassle and cleaning when there is an ammenities block 20m away that is cleaned for you! The main thing is that i want to go free/bush camping more often and the shower toilet is a big deal for the better half. Having them on board will help us be much more 'adventurous' together as a family.
Thanks for all your feedback

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We have the 17.56-2 and I would never go without the shower/toilet option for cupboard space either. We also have a webber so hubby cooks on that when we're away for longer stays otherwise it comes back to being organised with meals and keeping it simple for me. Once the pop top is up there's plenty of space to store excess food/belongings above cupboards in containers then put onto floor when moving on.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We went without the shw/toilet option and got the extra foot and half of bench space and kids cupboard instead. It seems a personal choice from all those postings above - and no one seems unhappy with the decision. I've got to agree with Pace and Four of Us - planning beforehand makes a difference. We have a very large kitchen at home (4m x 3m) so going to something smaller can be a challenge at time. We've had no issues though. We had less bench in the camper an managed that too. I think you simply make do with what you have. If you leave stuff out - toaster/kettle etc, they get in the way, and if you want gourmet meals that need a large number of pots etc then you might have a problem. :D
We do most of the cooking outside though and only use the indoor stove when I haven't filled the gas bottle.
Before buying, I'd suggest making a mental list of everything you think you need. Sit in the van at the showroom, tell the salesman to leave you alone for while and figure out where everything goes - in both shower and non-shower models......

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
We've got 4 teenagers and don't have a problem with storage in our 17.56-2.
If you can fill it, your taking too much. Try things like micro fibre towels (7 in one cupboard). Don't cook inside as the smell goes right through.
There's heaps of room!!!!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We "lived" in ours for 3 weeks over xmas and had no worries (2 Adults / 1 Teenager & 1 Tweenager).

Always use the Baby Q with the gas bayonets as well as cooktop. Didn't even touch the microwave! Consider a slow cooker over winter time?

Space is tight but still more than an Eagle C/T.

We prefer the Shower / Toilet, particularly the loo at 3 am in the rain!

Down to personal choice, but we found the 17.56-2 to be all we wanted it to be. We try to carry minimal stuff with us and suited to the time of the year (no fans over summer, carry a slow cooker over winter etc). If it only gets used once in a while, you can probably live without it! Keep the weight down!

Still, being ex-Army, I would just take food, ammo, water and basic sleeping gear if allowed - well maybe leave the ammo behind and substitute a nice bottle of claret or two!

Good luck and enjoy yourselves!:hippie:

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
We have just done our third short trip/weekend away since picking up our 17.56-2OB. I love "stuff" (if it is new, old, or "handy" and got something to do with camping, then I have to have it and carry it just in case!) and we have a toddler hence the upgrade from a Swan OB. The point being, we still have empty cupboards - there is storage galore in the Expanda 17.56-2OB. Our shower/toilet is for convenience in caravan parks, and the occasional quick wash off when in the bush. The toilet is used by the girls in foul weather but, most of the time, the good old bush dunny (Jimmy the Thunderbox) prevails. Like most, we cook simply when away and use the Weber outside. Inside is for basic food prep. or to boil up some veg, otherwise the cooking smells linger forever. We go away to smell the great outdoors, not the inside of a restaurant kitchen.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Very encouraging Wado, I'm a bit like you, I love stuff, gadgets etc. Good to hear you have heaps of storage, except I have to 'store' a couple more kids than you! :)

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We had a toilet training tot when we bought our panda and so the ensuite has been priceless.

I have had no issues with storage yet.

Everything fits in the cupboards except some extra blankets I take just in case which I keep in a box and put ontop of the cupboards when we pop the top.

We had sheves put in the wardrobe and use that as our pantry.

Our clothes are kept in backpacks which fit nicely in the empty space between the mattrace and the wall.

Crystalyn

Reactions: relgate

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Nick, how did you go with the ordering of your van?

Would be interested to see who you ended up ordering with and what your final inclusions were.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey Nick, how did you go with the ordering of your van?

Would be interested to see who you ended up ordering with and what your final inclusions were.

Hi Mick
Great to hear from you.
Unfortunately I'm still wainting for finance to come through.
My list of extras is long and the price seems to be jumping up, so when I get the OK from the broker (should be next couple of days) I will jump on it and try to get the best deal!

I spoke to Greg on your recomendation. He was very helpful and his price was pretty good, I also spoke to another dealer closer to home who is pretty keen for my sale. Just to confuse the matter, I have had a quote from Victoria that is VERY good, but I'm not sure I want to stray that far from home!

So far my extras are as follows

17.56.2 OB

Roll out awning

roof mounted AC

Privacy screens

wind up antenna

CD/DVD with internal/external speakers

2 Foam mattresses (if possible?)

150L fridge

external picnic table

solar provision/wiring perhaps with panels (2 x 120Watt??)

battery pack, control panel, 2 100amp batteries

12v fridge fan

external gas bayonet at front

external shower

extended drawbar with gas bottles placed against van body.

annex

Extra powerpoint and 12v under dining table

Extra powerpoint and 12v under bunk table

outdoor light above outdoor shower

curtain to top bunk

shelves in robe

keyed alike (if possible?)

full oven

What do reckon, did i miss anything?