Cooking in a 17.65.2

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Roll out awning, Awesome inclusion

roof mounted AC, didn't go for this as we tend to do free camping most of the time

Privacy screens, I have them and think they are great, except it does not stop all of the water hitting the canvas

wind up antenna, great inclusion

CD/DVD with internal/external speakers, very happy with ours, once you work out how to turn it off

2 Foam mattresses (if possible?), not sure, that is what we wanted, but ended up with innersprung, they seem fine

150L fridge, I think this is a must for a big family

external picnic table. Good choice

solar provision/wiring perhaps with panels (2 x 120Watt??), we had panel included, so far very happy, but will need to trial it more when out bush.

battery pack, control panel, 2 100amp batteries

12v fridge fan, not necessary, but we included this aswell.

external gas bayonet at front, Had one fitted, but should have had two

external shower, I think this is very useful

extended drawbar with gas bottles placed against van body. My bottles were very close to the van with the extended draw bar, however the tyre was moved forward a bit which increases towball weight

annex, not real keen on this idea, as it will trap the exhuast gasses from the fridge in the annex area

Extra powerpoint and 12v under dining table

Extra powerpoint and 12v under bunk table

outdoor light above outdoor shower, clever choice

curtain to top bunk, won't happen, we asked and they said they could not do it because of the roof lining and when the pop top comes down could damge something.

shelves in robe
, I think this should be standard

keyed alike (if possible?), all of our trunk and toilet hatches were keyed alike, the bed ends the same and the door was different, so three major keys will allow you full access to the van, so it is not too bad,

full oven

What do reckon, did i miss anything?

A new four wheel drive to tow it?

Looks like a good list of inclusions

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
A new four wheel drive to tow it?

Ahh yes, my biggest problem! I've got the Hilux dual cab 4x4 Turbo Diesel which I love, but it is only rated to 2.25T Nothing I can do except load carefully and upgrade when the lease expires!

BTW, I'm not keen on the annex either but dear wife seems to think it is a must, so it's in :)

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It seems funny that they can option a fan for a fridge which is also designed to work without power. I have wondered myself, by the time you do the fridge & fan, are you better getting a 12/240 compressor fridge? I think the idea of the extra powerpoints is a good idea but what do they leave for 12V?

If you get a better deal in Victoria, then come for a drive a have your first trip down this way. We are getting ours from a regional dealer because they were better to deal with and we got a better price.

My brother in law runs a Caravan park and his opinion is that Satelite is the way to go for your tv. CD/DVD, will that be old technology soon. I am thinking of a $150 Xbox, stream music and movies from the laptop and it can still be used as a DVD, player and the kids can play games also if it rains. I have one at home and I love it and I never have played a game on it, just purely for streaming media etc. Just another option. I like all your other options.

Geoff

duckyward

Aug 15, 2011
In our 17.56.2 we ditched the top bunk and had a row of cupboards installed instead....now we have plenty of food storage.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hi Mick
Great to hear from you.
Unfortunately I'm still wainting for finance to come through.
My list of extras is long and the price seems to be jumping up, so when I get the OK from the broker (should be next couple of days) I will jump on it and try to get the best deal!

I spoke to Greg on your recomendation. He was very helpful and his price was pretty good, I also spoke to another dealer closer to home who is pretty keen for my sale. Just to confuse the matter, I have had a quote from Victoria that is VERY good, but I'm not sure I want to stray that far from home!

So far my extras are as follows

17.56.2 OB

Roll out awning

roof mounted AC

Privacy screens

wind up antenna

CD/DVD with internal/external speakers

2 Foam mattresses (if possible?)

150L fridge

external picnic table

solar provision/wiring perhaps with panels (2 x 120Watt??)

battery pack, control panel, 2 100amp batteries

12v fridge fan

external gas bayonet at front

external shower

extended drawbar with gas bottles placed against van body.

annex

Extra powerpoint and 12v under dining table

Extra powerpoint and 12v under bunk table

outdoor light above outdoor shower

curtain to top bunk

shelves in robe

keyed alike (if possible?)

full oven

What do reckon, did i miss anything?

Hi Relgate. Sounds like an awesome choice. Im still looking at van and your list is awesome. Not being rude but what price are you looking at. Cheers

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Ahh yes, my biggest problem! I've got the Hilux dual cab 4x4 Turbo Diesel which I love, but it is only rated to 2.25T Nothing I can do except load carefully and upgrade when the lease expires!

BTW, I'm not keen on the annex either but dear wife seems to think it is a must, so it's in :)

Did you know that they've moved the axle back about 50mm on the current model and increased it to 2500? I've got the same problem as you (2250) when I tow with my hilux although I just compensate for it using the water tanks (carry a bit less water)
We've got the annexe although it probably only gets used at Xmas when we set up for 2-3 weeks. When we do this, we set up 2 sets of bunks in it and the 4 kids sleep outside. Keeps the clutter down inside and we set up the small table as a table.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Did you know that they've moved the axle back about 50mm on the current model and increased it to 2500? I've got the same problem as you (2250) when I tow with my hilux although I just compensate for it using the water tanks (carry a bit less water)
We've got the annexe although it probably only gets used at Xmas when we set up for 2-3 weeks. When we do this, we set up 2 sets of bunks in it and the 4 kids sleep outside. Keeps the clutter down inside and we set up the small table as a table.

exactly what we will do. The annex will come out for the big Christmas set up and stay in storage for the rest of the year!
I knew the latest hilux could tow 2.5 but didn't realise they moved the axle back to do it. Very interesting.
I still find it hard to believe that the mighty Hilux has such a poor tow capacity.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
exactly what we will do. The annex will come out for the big Christmas set up and stay in storage for the rest of the year!
I knew the latest hilux could tow 2.5 but didn't realise they moved the axle back to do it. Very interesting.
I still find it hard to believe that the mighty Hilux has such a poor tow capacity.
Not so mighty anymore regretfully! I've had a broken rear main spring, new clutch bearing, new gear box and the rear wheel bearings replaced, all before 130,000k's
I'll give them one thing, warranty has never been an issue (even after the first 100,000).

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Not so mighty anymore regretfully! I've had a broken rear main spring, new clutch bearing, new gear box and the rear wheel bearings replaced, all before 130,000k's
I'll give them one thing, warranty has never been an issue (even after the first 100,000).

Ouch.
I've had no real problems, except for the recall!
Mine is one of the models that required the rear tailshaft bracket support repair/reinforcement. Havent done it yet. Not too many cattle grids in Sydney Metro!