Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi All

Thanks to everyone on this forum so far the posts and information has been great

So me and the family (5 of us) went for another drive down to Caravanland today just to check out the potential options and get some more ideas for our Lap of Oz next year and how we can fit ourselves into an Expanda.

As you may or may not know we have a 2014 GXL Prado which of course comes with the 2500kg limit which has been on our minds for a while now and whether we would be able to tow a 17.56-2 OB. Other options included a 17.56-1 or the 16.49-4.

Whilst talking to the guys down there we pretty much came to the conclusion that the new 2015 17.56-2 OB with a default tare of 2100kg will be too heavy and that a second hand 2013 or 2014 model might be a better option, but during this conversation he also mentioned he had one last 2014 17.56-2 OB out the back........

At this point I was hoping the weights would be ok but when looking around most are around the limit (2500kg) or just over. When checking this one out we were both surprised to find that the ATM was just under 2400kg and was a December 2014 build date.

Of course being this light meant it just had the standard features but from our point of view was perfect as this meant we can still tow the thing and get the extra space we need with the three kids and more importantly based on the feedback here it also has the shower and toilet.

We ended up getting a great deal as it was a run out model last one but also wanted a few extras which includes the following

- ESC
- External Shower
- Windup Aerial & TV
- External PWR/TV Points
- Picnic Table
- Storm Covers for the Bed Ends

We are still in a bit of shock as we were not thinking of getting anything until later in the year, but as usual things come up and if you don't take them then you may miss out.

So we signed up then and there :)

Now the wait begins.....although it is floor stock we need to get all the options/accessories fitted and also we did ask to delay the delivery just so we can get the Prado sorted (Airbags and TowPro) and just as important a bit of work needs to happen around the house so we can park and secure it.

A few pics of the panda......very exciting and can't wait to start the mods....

IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG

Cheers

Burnsie

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well done @burnsie. Sounds like it was meant to be. Quite often the good things appear when you least expect and it it will turn out to be the best decision you have could have made. Look forward to following your adventures.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
congratulations on you new purchase. You say it is standard but I think your dealer must have ordered some options if I am not mistaken. Looks like you have the treg hitch, possibly longer drawbar, HWS + extra gas bottle.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
congratulations on you new purchase. You say it is standard but I think your dealer must have ordered some options if I am not mistaken. Looks like you have the treg hitch, possibly longer drawbar, HWS + extra gas bottle.
You are spot on about the hitch @MDS69 . However, it is a shower model so the second gas bottle and HW are standard. Go the Eels!

Reactions: Chooky

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
You are spot on about the hitch @MDS69 . However, it is a shower model so the second gas bottle and HW are standard. Go the Eels!

Ah yes good point re shower model @relgate . I am still learning about these bigger model compared to my baby 14 footer.
And yes GO THE EELS:biggrin-new:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @burnsie
We did the same almost 12 months ago to the day..... Called into Caravanland to have a look at the floor plans on the 17'ers and walked away with a deposit for one of the first 2014 17.56.2 OB's that was ordered for floor stock!

Like yourself I was concerned re the AGM and towing with a Prado but when I checked the compliance plate and noticed the 2433KG limit it was a no brainer :)

Keep your eye on the WA meet and greet page and we can park the twins side by side LOL

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, yeah expecting sometime in late April for pickup which already seems way too far away...

you are correct @bigcol dealer confirmed all outback models they order in at Caravanland with the Treg / Trig hitch which will mean airbags on the Prado as a WDH will not fit, already got the 2inch lift so should be fine.

Not sure about the drawbar length @MDS69 in the flesh it looked pretty standard but wouldn't mind it being a little longer one of the options we would have got if we could order from the factory.

Tow Ball weight I thought was a little bit heavier at 203KG not sure if everyone else's on here is around that for a 17.56-2, I assume probably more as most have put the toolbox on the front, assume though moving the spare wheel to the back underneath behind the water tank might bring this down as well.

So many things to modify....exciting times thats for sure.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hi All
Tow Ball weight I thought was a little bit heavier at 203KG not sure if everyone else's on here is around that for a 17.56-2, I assume probably more as most have put the toolbox on the front, assume though moving the spare wheel to the back underneath behind the water tank might bring this down as well.
Good stuff @burnsie . Great choice of Van too.:D
Here is my compliance plate for comparison. 206 max ball weight. I have the extended drawbar which will affect the ball weight. not sure which way though....
Plate.PNG

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi @Soaring mine seems to be a bit higher than that as my "Empty Ball Mass" is 203kg all the way up to Max 250kg, which is good as the Prado I have also has this as it's max :)

Weight overall is lower though hitting an ATM of only 2332kg

"Sorry about the quality of the pic, was at the dealer and took some quick snaps"

JaycoPlate.jpg

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Congratulations on the new van and welcome to the forum. I pretty much did the same thing - been going to the caravan show for nearly 6 years and the last year (again) we only went to see it and ended up buying a17.52 OB. Great choice of van. we love our one. There are plenty of Mod ideas on this forum to customise your van (if that is something you want to do as well). But I am pretty sure you want to get away with it before all that....

well done! cheers TRAKADU

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hi @Soaring mine seems to be a bit higher than that as my "Empty Ball Mass" is 203kg all the way up to Max 250kg, which is good as the Prado I have also has this as it's max :)

Weight overall is lower though hitting an ATM of only 2332kg

View attachment 30574
@burnsie interesting. The only extras I got was the extended draw bar, Solar and battery, drop down table, & external shower. These probably explain the extra 120kg weight of mine. So now I assume my lower ball weight must be due to the leverage advantage of the extended drawbar.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Congrats @burnsie ya got to be happy with that, well done, Oh! and just for the record you can use a WDH with a Tregg Hitch but not a Trigg, you just need an adaptor plate for the bit that goes on the car, bearing in mind that you have to remove the bars if you get into the rough stuff.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi All

Approvals all in place so looking good for a late April early May pickup :)

On another note, not directly related to the new 17.56-2 OB but thought it would be worth an updated post.

Finally received my 4WD drawer system for the Prado 150. Ended up going with the Drifta setup which allows me to remove them when not in use which keeps the wife happy so she can still use all seven seats. I also got them to include the inbuilt fridge slide and of course like all Drifta's an in built table. As they sit on the existing floor they also raised them to 300 high so I got to keep the height in the drawers and the CFX50 "just" slots in on top and allows the back door to shut

Fantastic bit of kit and well made and great to deal with (No affiliation etc with them, just a great product)

Pic's below

IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @burnsie we bought our 17:56.2 from a family who had a Prado, they did half a lap with air bags and no WDH, and we towed all over without a WHD also. We recebtly sold it and bought a Sterling pop top and it tows just as well, just be careful how much p!ss you put into that fridge or you will go over the Prado's weight capacity;)

Reactions: Dropbear and dagree