Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
well done burnsie I have the same but 2007 prado tows like a dream , with nothing in the van and full of water im over the ball weight make sure u get it weighed , 550 ks out of tank towing my plate is different to the 2 I saw here , my max ball weight is 220 but its realy 265 just water in it so I never have water in it I have air bags and I use a hitch its great , van weight is fine just the ball

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi All

Approvals all in place so looking good for a late April early May pickup :)

On another note, not directed related to the new 17.56-2 OB but thought it would be worth an updated post.

Finally received my 4WD drawer system for the Prado 150. Ended up going with the Drifta setup which allows me to remove them when not in use which keeps the wife happy so she can still use all seven seats. I also got them to include the inbuilt fridge slide and of course like all Drifta's an in built table. As they sit on the existing floor they also raised them to 300 high so I got to keep the height in the drawers and the CFX50 "just" slots in on top and allows the back door to shut

Fantastic bit of kit and well made and great to deal with (No affiliation etc with them, just a great product)

Pic's below

View attachment 30679 View attachment 30680 View attachment 30681 View attachment 30682 View attachment 30683

can you say "tight squeeze kiddies................"

I do like the 2 "tables" under the fridge slide....... noice.........

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great news on snapping up a great floor stock model @burnsie

Love the look of those Drifta drawers too, especially the way it can be removed easily, great idea. I had a Drafta kitchen in my old soft floor about 7 years ago and it was very high quality workmanship. Also no affiliation, I just love good quality work.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Great score on the van. You will also love the drifters, another user here. And that pullout table, you will wonder how the hell you ever managed without one!

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
my max ball weight is 220 but its realy 265 just water in it so I never have water in it I have air bags and I use a hitch its great , van weight is fine just the ball

Hey @Bluey yeah the ball weight will probably be getting up there, but was at the Perth show yesterday and spoke with the Hayman Reese guy and he mentioned the WDH with the Tregg hitch works quite well and with the 2inch lift and airbags, should hopefully be able to spread the load out a bit....(lets hope)

Love the look of those Drifta drawers too, especially the way it can be removed easily, great idea. I had a Drafta kitchen in my old soft floor about 7 years ago and it was very high quality workmanship. Also no affiliation, I just love good quality work.

You will also love the drifters, another user here. And that pullout table, you will wonder how the hell you ever managed without one!

Drawers have been well used already thanks @Moto Moto & @achjimmy the table is also great

Reactions: Bluey

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
So another update, spoke to the dealer today and organised for an additional solar panel and also the Fusion speaker system to be added as part of the accessories to be installed list.

We will be doing a bit of free camping so thought additional 120W panel will come in handy. (Will install an additional battery myself which looks like an easier install)

Not sure how much the stereo will get used but thought I better get a professional to install those outdoor speakers as I don't think I would be able to drill/cut into a perfectly new panda :)

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Received my first mod yesterday, a set of clear roof skirt windows thanks @crustt

These things look great can't wait to install them, only problem is the van is still about 4-5 weeks away :(

IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
You'll be happy with them @burnsie
We got a set of three (Didn't bother with the awning side) tinted ones from @crustt and are one of the best things fitted.
Actually from memory I think they were the first mod and fitted the same day as pickup as we originally got them for our previous 16.49.3 and removed them prior to selling it.

Reactions: jandl and burnsie

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Nice find
We too have a prado and looked at the 17' models only to decide the weight was too much also.so have gone witht the 16.49.4
We have ordered from Caravanland also and they did say the trigg was a standard on outbacks for them.
Well done
Will

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi All

Got a call from the dealer today and they gave me the option to swap from the Treg/Trigg hitch to a standard 50mm tow ball hitch.

I think they followed this up for me as I asked them about WDH systems with the Treg/Trigg, pretty good service from them really......

So question is was hoping to use the WDH to provide better overall towing with the Prado and 17.56-2 OB and now they are happy to change this are there any negatives moving to the standard 50mm tow ball, most of our trips will not involve any major off road work except some roads like the GRR next year which may be a bit corrugated etc?

Cheers

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Great to hear they'll change it for you. Normal towing and corrugations shouldn't be an issue as far as I'm aware @burnsie

Who are you dealing with at Caravanland?

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Have met Ken a few times but never dealt with him..... Nice guy though

Became friends with Jim a few years ago as he stays behind us for 2 weeks at Busso every February
Bought ours through Nick (Not sure if he's still there as haven't seen him for a while?) He was also good to deal with. Only went through Nick as Jim was still down Busselton when we "stumbled" across the 17.56.2 ;)

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
HI @burnsie . We also nought through Ken with exactly the same van and tug combination as you. We also swapped from a Tregg hitch to the standard ball for the same reason. My logic was also about having some movement to line up the ball and virtually none for the Tregg (Ken advised line up needed to be near perfect). We've taken it about as off road as we plan and have had no problems with the ball and @dagree 2nd hand WDH.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
do you want a little trick I was taught umptine million years ago............?????

when you have hooked up, and are in a straight line (tug & van)
look in your mirrors, and spot - on each side - exactly where the edge of your tug is on the front of the van
if you want - mark it(bluetak works well, until you get the right spot) then put a discrete mark, so when you are backing up, aim for that mark lining up with the end of your tug...............

hard to explain - but.............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
also

we dealt with Ken when we brought our 16 - real nice guy - always happy to have a yarn with us when ever we see him at the shows etc.......

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Know exactly what you mean @bigcol ... I do that with the box trailer. When both trailer mudguards disappear out of mirror sight I'm near enough inline and in position!!