Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
thanks @dagree , @bigcol , @Cheyne78 for the comments, think I will get it changed to the standard 50mm hitch and then be able to use the WDH, will also move the jockey wheel to the inside.

Sounds like getting it changed will prepare to aid my marriage even before I pick up the van :biggrin-26:

Agree will all of you my dealings with Caravanland so far have been really good, Ken has been great and the other staff are always happy to help.

not long now till pickup, gotta sort the front yard out for a location to store the thing.......knock down a wall, install a gate and pave or do something to the ground where the van will live

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Just speaking to caravanland and confirming the electric's for the van before eventual pickup next month and this will be the setup so far

Tow Vehicle
Current: Dual Batteries, RedArc BC/DC, Anderson Plug Solar Input
Required: RedArc Tow Pro controller also dedicated heavy duty fused run from the battery to pins 9 & 10 of the 12 pin plug to run the Fridge, also installing an anderson plug at the back of the tow vehicle which will be another dedicated fused run to plug into the van battery directly.....

Expanda
Current: 12 Pin Plug supports all electrics including ESC on Pin 2 and Pins 9 & 10 for the Fridge
Required: Requested a dedicated anderson plug connection (Heavy Duty Wiring) from the battery to the front of the van to support the dedicated battery charge from the tow vehicle. (Not ideal but hopefully not configured this way for too long......)

Future mods (probably within the first month :D) install second battery and also a DC/DC device to support multiple batteries in the van and also the 2 x 120W solar, was thinking a RedArc Manager 30, CTEK or something similar which I could then use the new dedicated anderson connection/wiring to hook back up to the tow vehicle.

Should I also look into the future and get another Anderson Plug on the rear on the tow vehicle whilst one is already being done in case I want to rewire the fridge off the 12 Pin and onto a dedicated Anderson? (Probably not required?)

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Not sure if you would need two andersons @burnsie ... I fitted a second (Piggy backed from the one supply) for the ESC. Caravanland hooked the ESC into the original anderson that fed the Fridge and brake breakaway battery. So all three fed from the one anderson.

Fitted matching anderson plug to the air compressors to save lifting the bonnet when needed... And closer to van tyres if required.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
this will be the setup so far

Future mods (probably within the first month :D) install second battery

I'm not too sure, but - do you really need 2 batteries?
if doing "free camping" your fridge would be on Gas...? (cannot off hand remember which fridge you said you were getting)
and the extra solar panels & extra battery would give you a fair weight to carry

I do recall @Drover or @chartrock talking about this in another thread........
something about the "normal" battery in a Van lasting 3 or more days - correct me if I got it wrong guys..............

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
you are right @bigcol regarding the weight, I will need to probably see where I am at with this before adding an additional battery, the fridge we ended up with is 12v only so no gas on this one unfortunately so thats where the additional battery might be required, however you are right if I can get a couple of days out of a battery and potentially charge it up again with the solar panels and a generator might save me some weight.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
depending on how long you stay at a particular "free" camping spot

also, the solar will do an exceptional job of keeping the battery fed

1 tip - open fridge door at a minimum when on 12V -
(be like a drug deal - in out and over with before anyone notices) and only MAX two or three times a day

I always keep water & Coke, etc in my Engel in the back of the Pooie. to keep out of the Van fridge

Reactions: burnsie and dagree

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Hi @burnsie. My van is almost identical and came in at 2613kg with the second battery. Your plate is already stamped but it will eat into your 475kg payload if the mermaids pull you over. Rather than the second anderson plug on the car I would suggest maybe second anderson plug from the draw bar to the regulator as opposed to second anderson plug on the car. Your car setup is identical to mine and with the BCDC solar regulator built in my portable panel doesn't have a regulator attached (Redarc 150w panel). I use the regulator in the van and run an anderson plug from the draw bar to the solar reg in the van (just connect the panel to van or car depending on what needs charging). With free camping be aware if you get a shady spot Dwellingup (or a couple of overcast days) the 50Amps useable from the battery will go pretty quick so you may have no option but to top up with a generator (or second battery for the same weight). You also need to consider what you would really need the second anderson plug on the car for as per @dagree post. Ive only got one and have never had a need for more but admittedly all of my van wiring (ESC fridge and break away) goes through the 12 pin plug and I have a separate relay and heavy wiring feeding into this.

Id be interested if you go with the Manager 30. Let me know and they might do a discount on two at the same time??? Much better solar regulator MPPT than the Jayco PWM IMHO and you get a decent AC and DC charger at the same time.

Reactions: burnsie and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @Cheyne78 thanks for the feedback and potential options, weight will always be an issue with the Prado and this model, may keep everything as standard as possible take it over the weigh bridge :o and see where I am at, then work on the mods. (Well the mods I haven't thought of yet....).I have already added a few extras including an additional solar panel so this will add a bit of weight, I hope the plated weights are correct out of the factory...............

PS: will give you a heads up if I go down the Manager 30 road.

Reactions: Cheyne78 and dagree
Oct 14, 2014
Hey @james saunders yeah these things are great and Beechy and the team were great to deal with, highly recommend them, was meant to take the drawers out when not in use but seem to be using them more than I thought.

Have you got a set of these?
No mate just live in the area and i just know luke(drifter)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@burnsie if you have a compressor fridge and plan on free camping for more than a couple of days you will need another battery especially if you are stopped under shade or its overcast. 240watts is only just going to keep up with a 12v fridge and a few other duties on good days. The problem you will have as. @bigcol raised is the weight. Batteries are close to 25 kg and you are going to be struggling to keep your ATM. To give you an idea we recently went away with 2A and 2k with both tanks full, plenty of food, two slabs of water and one slab of beer, two chairs, two stools and an alloy foldaway table. Toolbox weber, spun steel camp oven, generator our payload was 500kg give or take 20-30kg. Anything you add to it from now on like the extra panels is coming out of your payload! I'd suggest you try it with the one battery and if it struggles with your type of camping look at maybe the newer lithium batteries down the track?

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
thanks @achjimmy yeah I think when I pick it up I will take it down to the weigh station and see what the "actual" weight is, don't really want to do it because I am sure the weights will be higher, but then from there I can work out what we can do and take a few short trips and get a feel for how long I can run things (Fridge, lights) etc before I need to think about another battery or generator

I assume with the 200 series you are also packing that pretty full?

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Weighbridge is a good idea @burnsie although Jayco do weigh the vans and can provide the factory Tare. Problem you will have mate is if the Tare is higher and they haven't given you the full 475kg payload your in that hard place of not being able to fill it satisfactorily.

I've got a bit up my sleeve with 200 as I got a 500kg GVM increase.

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
yeah my tare from the factory is 1857kg, plus my 475kg equals my plated ATM of 2332kg so they have allowed for a full payload but I have added some dealer accessories like the extra solar panel, stereo, antenna so I assume these might take it up to 1900ish hopefully still leaving me with a good 400kg-425kg for payload

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Oh I thought you were a lot closer to your 2500kg! Mate ask them to up your atm to cover your accessories, try fo 2450 or 2500kg

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Yeah @achjimmy I asked them to do that already but the dealer advised that they wont re-plate it once it leaves the factory.

Next obvious question, has anyone been able to get their ATM plate changed once it has arrived at the dealers to account for the accessories or extra available weight?