Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks @cruza driver enjoying so far even though it is sitting in the drive....

Planning some local trips around WA this year, down south to Esperance, Albany and out to Kalgoorlie plus a few metro parks to practice the setup and tear down of the van not to mention reversing. All of this in preparation for our lap of Oz next year setting off at this stage in mid May 2016.

I have been able to convince the other half of a 5 month trip so far but I would like to get this up to 6 months as the kids will still be in the younger primary classes so shouldn't have too much of an effect for them. It's looking good as we started at 3 months then 4 and now 5 :smile-34:

Will be using the good old long service leave, otherwise would be quite hard to take so much time off....

Lots of planning and internet surfing to work out what to see and where to go.

Siera

Oct 2, 2014
Country Vic
Hi Burnsie sounds like all is going well. We are 6 weeks away from pickup of our 17.56.2 OB and was wanting to know what your delivery checklist was and also what else we should be looking for. First time owners so a little worried we might miss something.

Sounds like you have some good times planned.

Cheers

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi @Siera very exciting times for you and the family I am sure.....

We too were/are first time van owners and mainly because of this forum we have gained heaps of information about what to expect and also what can be done to the van once it is collected.

Ours was a 2014 model, but really there wasn't too much different between that and the 2015 except the bed ends and a few other things.

My checklist was pretty small, the dealer over here in Perth Caravanland was/is excellent and we have been able to even now get more questions answered and or ask questions about the van, so hopefully your dealer is just as good.

Below is the checklist we used, as I mentioned not much on it but captured the main items we feel

1) Check all extras are there - Any additional accessories or cables or cords
2) Check for any screws sticking out or anything that is loose
3) Open and close roof and awnings yourself, our roof on one side folded out instead of in, because of the extra wiring for the additional solar panel, they used some extra memory foam to tell it the right way to go...all good now :)
4) Take notes and ask how to setup everything including HWS, Fridge, Toilet, bed ends and anything else you have concerns about or want to ask a question on.
5) Check all doors (hinges and latches) including hatches and cupboards. We had a couple that did not work properly, one of the service guys came out and sorted it out whilst we were doing the paperwork.
6) Check inside all storage areas (take a small LED torch with you so you can see inside.) make sure no problems
7) Check for correct functioning of all taps and drainage. Get them to hook up the main water and test the pressure and also check for any leaks where the filler comes into the van, usually under the seats backing onto the fridge wall I think in the new 17.56-2 OB, if you do this when you first arrive usually when they plug the power in then by the end it will be a good 2 hours you will get an idea about any leaks from the mains connection into the van
8) Connect up mains water (As Above)
9) Check 12v pump
10) Check all lights and power points 12v & mains.
11) Check gas operation...stove, HWS, etc.
12) Check Air Conditioner works on both Cold and Hot
13) Carefully go around body, make sure there are no dents, cracks, double check the bed end doors as yours will be the new model, on some of the bigger versions some forum members have noticed cracks, worth double checking
14) Check wiring underneath not hanging down. (A couple of cable ties will sort this out so not a big deal)
15) Check TV and Antenna if you got one fitted make sure the wiring for the coax cable is all good

I am sure there are heaps of other things you could be checking but so far this has covered ours off

And remember this forum is always here to answer any questions you have, some of the guys have been using these for years and have seen all the problems and fixes.

Good Luck and I can't wait to see all the trip reports and pictures of the van and your adventures

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Planning some local trips around WA this year, down south to Esperance, Albany and out to Kalgoorlie plus a few metro parks to practice the setup and tear down of the van not to mention reversing. .

we usually go to Toodyay for the weekend, - the one on Racecourse Rd - just before Toodyay itself - 1 hr for us

Lancelin & Ledge Point are great as well - 2 hrs for us

never been impressed with Moore River / Guilderton - nice park, well laid out need a swipe card to get in with car
or just climb down the track from the top car park and help yourself - security at the park is not that good

they are closing down Club Capricorn (Yanchep) at the end of this month, pity

Willowbrook Farm on Gingin Brook Rd is quite nice, although cold in winter - but they feed animals for the kids every day - and a nice BIG fire pit........

just a few ideas for you

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
we usually go to Toodyay for the weekend, - the one on Racecourse Rd - just before Toodyay itself - 1 hr for us
See you there at Easter @bigcol ... If I ever get around to booking :oops:

never been impressed with Moore River / Guilderton - nice park, well laid out need a swipe card to get in with car or just climb down the track from the top car park and help yourself - security at the park is not that good
Yep nice but a bit squeezy I'm guessing.... Only stayed there in a tent though!

And Willowbrook is nice... That was our shakedown trip!

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Did you ask them if they had some spare stickers to put across the ext table?

Hey @dagree they came back to me today on the sticker over the picnic table, unfortunately they didn't have any in the service area spare, but they can get them in......

Wait for it......................... $98 wholesale...............o_O

Surely that is for the set and not just one black sticker, awaiting confirmation........

He is getting one in for me, so I think he is going to sort me out anyway....well hopefully

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The price was not a surprise!!!!
Hope he sorts you out @burnsie but seeing it's just the black one I'd be going to a sticker company and see if they had an offcut and shape it myself (Scottish "deep pockets" showing here!!!)

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi @Siera very exciting times for you and the family I am sure.....

We too were/are first time van owners and mainly because of this forum we have gained heaps of information about what to expect and also what can be done to the van once it is collected.

Ours was a 2014 model, but really there wasn't too much different between that and the 2015 except the bed ends and a few other things.

My checklist was pretty small, the dealer over here in Perth Caravanland was/is excellent and we have been able to even now get more questions answered and or ask questions about the van, so hopefully your dealer is just as good.

Below is the checklist we used, as I mentioned not much on it but captured the main items we feel

1) Check all extras are there - Any additional accessories or cables or cords
2) Check for any screws sticking out or anything that is loose
3) Open and close roof and awnings yourself, our roof on one side folded out instead of in, because of the extra wiring for the additional solar panel, they used some extra memory foam to tell it the right way to go...all good now :)
4) Take notes and ask how to setup everything including HWS, Fridge, Toilet, bed ends and anything else you have concerns about or want to ask a question on.
5) Check all doors (hinges and latches) including hatches and cupboards. We had a couple that did not work properly, one of the service guys came out and sorted it out whilst we were doing the paperwork.
6) Check inside all storage areas (take a small LED torch with you so you can see inside.) make sure no problems
7) Check for correct functioning of all taps and drainage. Get them to hook up the main water and test the pressure and also check for any leaks where the filler comes into the van, usually under the seats backing onto the fridge wall I think in the new 17.56-2 OB, if you do this when you first arrive usually when they plug the power in then by the end it will be a good 2 hours you will get an idea about any leaks from the mains connection into the van
8) Connect up mains water (As Above)
9) Check 12v pump
10) Check all lights and power points 12v & mains.
11) Check gas operation...stove, HWS, etc.
12) Check Air Conditioner works on both Cold and Hot
13) Carefully go around body, make sure there are no dents, cracks, double check the bed end doors as yours will be the new model, on some of the bigger versions some forum members have noticed cracks, worth double checking
14) Check wiring underneath not hanging down. (A couple of cable ties will sort this out so not a big deal)
15) Check TV and Antenna if you got one fitted make sure the wiring for the coax cable is all good

I am sure there are heaps of other things you could be checking but so far this has covered ours off

And remember this forum is always here to answer any questions you have, some of the guys have been using these for years and have seen all the problems and fixes.

Good Luck and I can't wait to see all the trip reports and pictures of the van and your adventures
Awesome check list @burnsie great advice, I will be keeping this one for myself.

Az

Reactions: burnsie and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Siera One thing I would add to @burnsie 's excellent list is......
Once you've gone through checking, being shown everything and asking questions ask if you can be left alone and try everything for yourself without assistance. Write down any issues or queries and then ask more questions.

We were lucky enough to do a two part handover as we were booked in for a Friday morning handover but the bank stuffed us around with the cheque. Still did the handover as booked. Ended up sorting cheque Friday afternoon and returned on the Saturday morning for the pickup. Spent another hour checking things and trying ourselves before hooking up. Had a load of other questions to ask after that!

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH

Lancelin & Ledge Point are great as well - 2 hrs for us

never been impressed with Moore River / Guilderton - nice park, well laid out need a swipe card to get in with car
or just climb down the track from the top car park and help yourself - security at the park is not that good

they are closing down Club Capricorn (Yanchep) at the end of this month, pity

Willowbrook Farm on Gingin Brook Rd is quite nice, although cold in winter - but they feed animals for the kids every day - and a nice BIG fire pit........

just a few ideas for you
Moore River is not getting very good reviews,apparently manager not nice,some regulars are going elseware.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
They are now crossed off my Christmas Card list ;)
Hehe,don't think they will make my list,have never been there.
We went for a run up the coast with the dog and checked out a few parks for our shakedown.Neighbours told us that Cevantes was good so we checked that out.Not that impressed,gets so so reviews.Ledge Point looks good,on our list .Willowbrook is out for now because of dog,
Anyone stayed at Jurien,we have tented there about 10yrs ago so never looked at the van section.

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
.Willowbrook is out for now because of dog,

we took our little beastie - she had to be on a lead - which I agree with - but they are / were pet friendly

Anyone stayed at Jurien,we have tented there about 10yrs ago so never looked at the van section.

Jurien was on our to do list - haven't been there since Adam played full back for the Jerusalem All Stars
had a look recently, and was quite impressed with how much better it was than my memory

Last edited: