Brake Controller setup - Tekonsha P3

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
We went away on the weekend and tried out the P3 for the first time. The first thing I did while driving out of our street was applied the manual override and could feel the brakes straight away...good start. I had it set on boost 1 and 9.5v recommended by a mate with similar weight van and it seemed perfect, now I can stop with confidence. I had the screen set on output voltage and watched what it did under brake and it never got over 5v but there was enough brake.

I even tried it on 9.6v and there was a noticeable difference so back to 9.5v and the whole rig seems to pull up as one....very happy. Not sure wether it was the 6mm wire straight to plug, crimping the brake wires under van or the controller that made all the difference but all works great now! The old HR controller has nothing on the P3 and a cheap upgrade as I have a buyer for the HR $50 :)

Cheers.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep............they really are the ducks guts when it comes to brake controllers.

Just wish it was a more compact size.......................meh!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi bushman, yeah I mounted it to the right of steering wheel on top of dash, really easy to see and adjust or switch between screens and nothing for my knees to hit. :)

Cheers.

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Rather than on either side, I've mounted mine in the middle. The Tow's a Paj & I'm a little over 6ft with no issues so far.
8138120401_43d87b80bd.jpg

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
D40 Navara Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller Install Location

This thread came in handy for inspiration (and motivation) when installing a P3 in my Navara.

For those with a D40 Navara (Series 4) this is what I did... I like it here as it keeps it away from the knees, is easily accessible to operate (screen clearly visible, buttons and manual knob easy to reach) and doesn’t look out of place.

I have opted for a permanent install (you can’t get to the rear plug to undo the unit for quick removal and the pocket door won't close now... but I never used to close it before the P3 went in either so that doesn't bother me).

I’ve pulled the dash out that many times I could do it with my eyes closed if I need to get the P3 out again… next time the dash will be out is for the UHF… then reversing camera system install...

IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3041.JPG

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep I did exactly the same thing in the pathfinder. Only difference is that I mounted the bracket on the top. The theory being that if I did have some thin items then they can still lay underneath the unit without being fouled. Oddly enough, the iPhone slides in nicely beneath it.

Carl Newman

Aug 8, 2013
Hi,

Newby here, I just finished installing my P3, all I need to do is connect the Blue wire to Trailer Plug, but does anyone have any idea where to access the brake wire in the towing loom, its buried in the body of my 2003 LWB NP Pajero and I have fat fingers.

Carl

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
I also have mounted the P3 in that console on the Pathfinder but use Velcro on the lid So when not in use just push the unit into the console, but when the Panda and the Pathfinder come together out comes the controller and attaches to the bottom side of the flap door on the console clear visual and access to the over ride leaver.