Brake Controller setup - Tekonsha P3

Apr 15, 2012
Perth W.A.
Hi Moto, we have the old Hayman Reese and i'm thinking about one of the P3's as a replacement but finding somewhere to put it is a problem, where did you put your's?
A photo would be great if you could?????

rick.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Moto, we have the old Hayman Reese and i'm thinking about one of the P3's as a replacement but finding somewhere to put it is a problem, where did you put your's?
A photo would be great if you could?????

rick.

Hi Rick,

I put mine in the usual spot in front of my left knee. But the Tekonsha is bigger than the HR and already i am smashing my knee, so thinking of moving it to the very top compartment above the stero (with the push to open flap). Probably move it over the weekend as my left knee is not happy:drum:

Will post photos after moving it.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hey Guys,

I know my car is a Pajero but below is a pictures of where I installed my P2.

Being 6 foot 5 there was no chance of it going in front of my knee, because if we had a accident the P2 would have become part of my knee cap.

BrakeController.jpg

Usually in the NT Pajero there is a Card Holder where I put mine but you can buy a 1 Din box from Mitsubishi which will replace the card holder and then I modified it a bit and mounted the P2 holder in side the box.

The P2 is still removable and able to be used in another car.

Duncan

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
6 foot 4 here and need to move mine which the dealer put in the knee cap place before I took delivery. Hey Duncan nice choice of 4B!!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
For those of you with Pajero's. I saw this instal a while ago.
I was going to replace my Terri with a new Paj but went the Jeep route instead.
May try and do this as well.
P1040434-1.jpg

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi all,

Thought I'd let you all know about my P3 install issues so you guys can check for this. I installed my P3 above my left knee in my prado 150 at about a 60-70 angle, obviously with the display facing up. Instructions say angle of install in pitch is not an issue but roll (ie left and right must be level). I then found some guys complaining that the P3 was not operating correctly unless the angle was much lower so I tested it as guys suggested.

I went to the trouble shooting screen and selected the page that shows you how much voltage is going to the brakes so you can see as you apply more brakes the voltage goes up as declaration increases. If you apply enough brakes to get the voltage to max which can be achieved with about "medium" hard braking is where the problem occurs. Once you come to a stop and you starting moving again even if you just tap the brakes you can see the voltage going to max on the trailer so the trailer brakes goto max and it jolts the car. I found if you wait about 30 seconds or so the brakes seem to then work proportionately again.

Spoke to tekonsha and they said that should not happen and that there s a fault with the controller, I had to return 2 controllers that did this but the 3rd one seems ok. If you mount at a shallower angle the P3 works find.

Anyway enought ranting on with my 2c worth but might be a good idea to chec this.

Cheers
Mike

Reactions: Moto Moto

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Hi Moto Moto,

Guess you have fitted yours already. Simple install, just watch the wire colours. I hate to see black used as positive. The only trick is finding the wire from the stoplight, make sure it's not on until the pedal is pressed. I also use a 6m2 blue wire to the traier plug to avoid the possibility of voltage drop.

I've had a Prodigy since 09. Great controller. I like that you can get the seperate fitting kit, as we can just unclip move the controller between my wife's Patrol and my cruiser. Only downside is finding places for it so it doesn't get hit by your knee.

Also seems to be pretty rugged. I lost a near new cruiser in a creek and I believe the Prodigy was under water for some time, but it still operates OK. Just completed 3000 klms without any problem.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Got my P3 yesterday, 3 days from Vic off eBay....great service. Looking forward to fitting and thinking of mounting the same as the pic that matty4 posted!

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi all,

Thought I'd let you all know about my P3 install issues so you guys can check for this. I installed my P3 above my left knee in my prado 150 at about a 60-70 angle, obviously with the display facing up. Instructions say angle of install in pitch is not an issue but roll (ie left and right must be level). I then found some guys complaining that the P3 was not operating correctly unless the angle was much lower so I tested it as guys suggested.

I went to the trouble shooting screen and selected the page that shows you how much voltage is going to the brakes so you can see as you apply more brakes the voltage goes up as declaration increases. If you apply enough brakes to get the voltage to max which can be achieved with about "medium" hard braking is where the problem occurs. Once you come to a stop and you starting moving again even if you just tap the brakes you can see the voltage going to max on the trailer so the trailer brakes goto max and it jolts the car. I found if you wait about 30 seconds or so the brakes seem to then work proportionately again.

Spoke to tekonsha and they said that should not happen and that there s a fault with the controller, I had to return 2 controllers that did this but the 3rd one seems ok. If you mount at a shallower angle the P3 works find.

Anyway enought ranting on with my 2c worth but might be a good idea to chec this.

Cheers
Mike

Interesting you mention this mike. I have had this from time to time but it settles down. Anyway, for me, after reading a few other posts, I am going to mount mine flat for a while and see what the difference is.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Got my P3 yesterday, 3 days from Vic off eBay....great service. Looking forward to fitting and thinking of mounting the same as the pic that matty4 posted!

Cheers.
Hi burnsy,
Did you see the pics of my mount in the Prado. Got the idea from Matty as well but didn't want to screw to the dash. It is perfectly flat and aligned with direction of travel, have run around with it in position for the last two weeks and hasn't moved a mm nor does it vibrate. Obviously haven't towed with it yet but i think it will be good.The Auto elec had no issues wiring up just followed the door seal the same as Matty, looks real neat.
It's close to hand and because we don't have the van connected it displays a red flashing screen indicating van not connected, which is clearly in view. if we had the van connected and a fault developed and indicated you would easily see it straight away.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1670-18-footer-OB/page2

Jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Holden_man, yeah thanks for that. I installed mine on the weekend but too late, I screwed into the dash but the dash mat covers the bracket and just cut 2 slots for the side bits to come through...looks good. A question for anyone with one, after fitting I hooked up to van and had a play. I set voltage to 9.5v as my mate has his set on that and about the same weight. When I checked output voltage with foot on brake and not moving the readout fluctuated between 1-2 volts, is this because the car and van were still and it sensed it didn't need much voltage?

We are going away this weekend so will see how it performs, I couldn't be bothered hooking it up yesterday and going for a run!

Cheers.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi burnsy,
I'm no expert and yet to try with a van connected, but from my limited understanding you are correct. The P3 has an accelerometer internally and with you not moving and not decelerating it would only be applying a holding voltage.
Good to hear you have everything installed ok, I think where you have installed the P3 is the perfect position. :thumb:

Reactions: Burnsy

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Interesting you mention this mike. I have had this from time to time but it settles down. Anyway, for me, after reading a few other posts, I am going to mount mine flat for a while and see what the difference is.

In my last vehicle my P3 had the same symptoms plus poor braking 90% of the time. Let it go with the vehicle and now have a solid state controller. Works heaps better than my old P3.(mind you Im 100% sure mine was faulty).
One other thing to remember with losts of options on a controller. If you dont set it up for maximun braking when you first set it up, you aint gunna have time to adjust it when that bus pulls out in front of you.