Brake Controller setup - Tekonsha P3

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Got my new Tekonsha P3 brake controller in the mail today. Brand new off ebay for less than half the RRP when purchased off the shelf. Very happy with the price.

Been reading the instruction manual and it looks confusing. I'm sure i'll get used to it.

Anyone else used this model. Any tips for setup in the car and use?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind something with a bit more control than the hayman Reese. Let us know how you find it!

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hey Moto Moto,

I have an older version the prodigy P2 and have it mounted in the centre console of my Pajero.

With mine you set the boost level with the push button on the right side and then adjust the amount of pressure with the dial on the left.

I have mine set on Boost level 1 and if you use the manual lever I have it set around 7. If you pull on the manual lever while doing around 40kph you should feel the van pulling up, keep adjusting up until the brakes lock on the van them back it off a bit.

I have had mine for about 10 years in a few different cars and it is great if you really slam on the brakes or just brake lightly they give different amount of brake power and confidence. I used to tow my rally car around with my Falcon and it was great and now love it in my Pajero.

Duncan

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Anyone else used this model. Any tips for setup in the car and use?

Hey Moto Moto

We have the Primus IQ and it works really well being a proportional controller. We have it set on the first boost function as well like ragracing that is really good with the van fully loaded.

Only thing I would check is that you get the right connection with the brake input connection. For more modern cars, the brake switch has multiple contacts with inputs to the computer for ABS and other functions as well as the brake light.

Just one to be aware of.

Cheers

Gil

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
We have the P3, 2nd car now and have not had an issue with it....had a sparkie fit it but I had to drive around the block and set the pressure (sorry could be completly wrong terminology).
havent reset it for the new car but I had no issue on the weekend....will be re reading instructions when i get home this weekend to check it is working correctly...also got mine off ebay...came from bairnsdale by memory...heaps cheaper

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We have the P3, 2nd car now and have not had an issue with it....had a sparkie fit it but I had to drive around the block and set the pressure (sorry could be completly wrong terminology).
havent reset it for the new car but I had no issue on the weekend....will be re reading instructions when i get home this weekend to check it is working correctly...also got mine off ebay...came from bairnsdale by memory...heaps cheaper

Mine was from there too, $150 compared to over $300 off the shelf!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Getting a new dual battery fitted by my auto elecy tomorrow so will get him to do the swap over on the controller too. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs, i have been less than impressed by my Hayman Reese one.

Hope to get away on the weekend so will give some feedback after using it:rockon:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep.....got one too.
I had the P2 and sold it with my last car so I upgrade to the P3. Excellent piece of kit.
Very easy to use and doesn't require fiddling with a wheel to set. The book basically tells you what seting for each size you're towing and you can then adjust the voltage as needed until set right. None of this all on or all off business with the old style ones.

Works seamlessly and van pulls up well every time.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I had the P2 in the Pathy, and liked the fact it gave errors when things went wrong (brake wire to one side of Swan came out). Didn't tell me what the error was, but at least I knew I needed to look for something. Otherwise it always worked as it should. The box was a bit bulky and finding a suitable place is the only problem. (Especially where the installer had it cos he believed it had to be perfectly horizontal)

I got the Red Arc put in the Disco tho - only a dial and an LED. Neat, but lacks the info and extra boosts etc of P3/P4. IMG_0188_resize.JPG

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I had a mock play with mine trying to work out where to fit it, i can see this will be an issue, its a bit bigger than the one i have.

I like the redarc one and considered this too but wanted the full adjustability.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I would've happily gone prodigy again, but Redarc was the one recommended and installed by the LR dealer, so went with it.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic

Can you post up some details of where you fitted yours into your Jeep.
I've got time before mine arrives but thought I'd try and get some ideas.

Cheers,
Matty

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We have a P3 in both our tow vehicles ( ebay again) We have had no problem even going down steep winding roads. When we set ours up the Jayco guy said to set it on B1 for towing and turn the dial to 7 then accelerate to about 30kmh and brake hard to see if the van pushes you or holds you back. if neither then it is set OK reduce by ,2 and you should be good to go. Hope this makes sense

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Whats the point of setting it with B1 already active? Boost is there for when you need the 'boost'. Set without, and leave boost available for when needed. My 2c

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Personally, I like knowing that as soon as I touch the brake pedal I know that the vans brakes are already active, not waiting to activate if I then start to slow.
B1 (are you thinking what I'm thinking B2? Sorry, couldn't help myself....hehe) power only starts at 13% of the power setting and then increases with deceleration.

Horses for courses really..

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
thanks Bigman. Thats a good explanation, not included in the product info I had.

By setting the controller higher without boost, it can still achieve a similar result. It might start at 0%, but proportionally would increase - 0%/0%, tap brakes at 5%, controller at 8%, 10%=15%, 20%=30% etc. The brakes on the van would still be activating harder than the tow vehicle, and thus 'leading'. I would use the boost in places such as hills etc for the 'extra' lead.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well i used my P3 on the weekend and love it! Still need to get to know it a bit better, but so far i am a Tekonsha P3 convert.

Just need to find a new place to mount it, as the normal spot i had the older controller is terrible. I was off road and kept smashing my knee:mad2: