17' Series Blueys 2014 1756-2 outback

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
:welcome: @Bluey. Great choice in van but I'm biased ;)
We were lucky and didn't have to wait for the build as we bought the "stock" van that was ordered for display (hasn't got the independent coil suspension as it was built on a 2013 version chassis but happy with the spring version).

Sounds like you have most options covered but if ordering another I would go for extra powerpoints over the standard layout. I'm sure others on here will give you more ideas. As for the extended drawbar I would go for one next time but luckily we didn't as not enough room where we park it due to angle of driveway.

Tow ours with a 04 petrol prado and no probs.
OH and before you pick it up....... Same some more $'s for mods ;)
Cheers,
David

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Bluey you have most things covered, great choice I must say. I would go with the extra length draw bar I recon they sit better ans it also gives you room for a tool box. How did you manage a 3 week old and an 8 week old?? What part of the country are you from?
Cheers and welcome
Dave

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We bought a webber and thats all we use, there are 2 different ideas here none of which is 100% but some say cooking inside stinks up the van, some say they couldn't live without an oven, we don't have an oven and only sometimes grill toast inside, on the drop down table (definately need on or two of these by the way) we have a two burner gas cooker as well. You need an external gas bayonet as well if they're not standard yet.

By the way just taking the don't be rude on the kids ages lol

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
hi to all yes im a new member pick up my van in june hopefully trying to sort out what is best to order
Hi Bluey
Welcome.. & congratulations!!
I would looove to upgrade our 17 56 2 to a newer model.. We love ours, & a lot of the mods we have done & want to do are now standard on yours, so enjoy!
Re what to order.. few suggestions here that might help: http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/any-essential-upgrades.4070/page-2.
You've definitely come to the right place.. This forum rocks for ideas, support, help & advice

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Welcome Bluey, great choice of van, kids are going to love the lifestyle, getting away on the weekends, different places & lots of adventures.

Dave

P.S. Need photo's

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Welcome Bluey,
I have been towing a 2010 17.56-2 OB with a 2007 diesel (manual) and it did the job well. I've just upgrade to a new Ranger so I've got a bigger towing capacity because the Prado only just does it, let me explain........ I loaded the van up, water tanks full, everything else packed (no food). Overall I had 40kg to spare although the ball weight was 283kg. A little bit of rearranging got the ball just under 250, so happy days! just be mindfull that if you extend the drawbar, your ball weight will increase.
The Prados have had a recall on the Toyota Towbar, so make sure you follow up if you have one as mine was replaced. If you have a genuine tow bar they will also recommend you only use a genuine WDH.
Enjoy!!!!!

1rockhorse

Jan 3, 2014
Mallee Victoria
Hi Bluey, great sounding set up.
We tow a 17.56-2 with a 09 diesel prado no worries. Mate, I would go for the extended draw bar for a future toolbox and ease of opening the cars back door all the way.

Reactions: The Wadamses

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
G'day Bluey.
I too recommend getting the extended drawbar, as said before it allows you to leave the car connected to the van and open the door with the van bed made up, good for road trips and short stays. It also makes it easier to reverse the van.
Also a extra water tank is a good idea, if you get it factory fitted they adjust your allowable payload to allow for this, about 90kg from memory, and its actually cheaper than doing it yourself (I priced up the bits)
I also have the hyland hitch and find it very easy to use.
Cheers

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
G,day Bluey i a auto elec we fit power chips every week i do recommend them for power and fuel economy , i looking at fitting one to my 2013 awd territory diesel just got to check out my warranty

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We have a full oven and use it a lot. Much more convenient than the bbq. Especially for weekends when I don't get the bbq out. Great for pizzas pies garlic bread etc

Heath74

Jan 14, 2014
Sth East Melbourne

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
in all the years we have been using vans, I (we) have never used the oven in the Vans..........
have a little portable one, and when needed for use, sits outside on a table, yes electric, but..... meeehh

go the extended draw bar - (as per above, door opening, front box etc)
make sure you get double power points, even put a few extras in, they ALWAYS come in handy
dump the Oven, go cook top and griller - you can then BBQ / carry oven / use frying pan with lid (I have baked cakes that way) whatever and have extra cupboard space

I find that we spend nearly 90% of the time outside the Van in the Annex / Awnning, so outside cooking is ok with us (you eastern states people have a thing called rain, we see little of here)

with your Prado,
air bags in rear
bigger exhaust and yes fit an EGT (Engine Gas Temp gauge)
the outbacks are standard with Tregg / Trigg hitches are they not.......?

dual batteries as a must, you will now be running 12 pin for the Van

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Bluey no mate - you wont need to change the inlet or exhaust manifolds
the exhaust will go onto a "dump pipe" off the Turbo, and the turbo is in between exhaust and manifold.......

you need the EGT gauge to keep an eye on the temps when towing, and adjust your driving style to suite (like I have had to do)

if funds stretch far enough, a bigger intercooler will give you unlimited possibilities for extra power
(not a big fan of "chipping" engines myself, old school horse power is more reliable, and can be sorted almost anywhere on the road)

dual batteries, it all depends on your ability and you knowledge - lots or none
lots - can buy dual battery controller for very little and fit yourself
none - drop into your local Auto Eleccy and get something like the Piranha
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIRANHA-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e85d3ad

easy as...............

cheers

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Sorry to but in but just some friendly electrical advise.If your van already comes with batteries then you won't need dual batteries in your car. My opinion a waste of money for nothing. All you need is a power supply to charge your van batteries. To stop any worry about flattening your car battery you can use the redarc smart isolator which cuts out below 12.4volts. food for thought.

Reactions: bigcol

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Dave

P.S. Need photo's
yes thanks first trip will be down our great ocean road to lorne somewhere down there anyway its only an hour from where I live maybe dubbo Christmas my brother is there I lived and worked in mudgee I love it there I have to lift my carport 300mm to fit the van in :o :mad-new:[/QUOTE]
@Bluey, love the sound of the new van. You must live in my neck of the woods, 1 hr from Lorne. Regarding the oven, our previous van had an oven and I thought I would really miss it, but the good old electric frypan works as a bbq, oven and can be used inside or out. Always cook my roast in the frypan, scones, cakes etc. I'm taking it to QLD over Easter as we are staying on powered sites, no need to take the BBQ, can set up the frypan outside or inside. Extra power points inside and outside always. I need one next to the kitchen table for the kids laptops, and cooking toast at the table (my children are teenagers). Anyway enjoy your new van and we may see you on the GOR.

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
@Bluey, love the sound of the new van. You must live in my neck of the woods, 1 hr from Lorne. Regarding the oven, our previous van had an oven and I thought I would really miss it, but the good old electric frypan works as a bbq, oven and can be used inside or out. Always cook my roast in the frypan, scones, cakes etc. I'm taking it to QLD over Easter as we are staying on powered sites, no need to take the BBQ, can set up the frypan outside or inside. Extra power points inside and outside always. I need one next to the kitchen table for the kids laptops, and cooking toast at the table (my children are teenagers). Anyway enjoy your new van and we may see you on the GOR.
im not to far port Arlington will be nice too in vic we have so many places we can go have u been to port McDonald down from mount Gambier love that place too what an endless list we have[/QUOTE]
@Bluey, yes been to Port McDonald, Robe Etc. Highly recommend Princess Margaret Rose Caves, non-power camping, open fire pits with hotplates (2 sites share), very secluded sites. Not far to walk to flushing toilets and hot showers, even a camp kitchen (with power). Went snorkling in picaninnie ponds (need to book and a wetsuit). Fantastic, highly recommended. By the way were from Ocean Grove.

Zacy

Apr 3, 2014
hi to all yes im a new member pick up my van in june hopefully trying to sort out what is best to order

got with the van extra dark privacy screens ,wind up tv antenna, 2 ,120watt solar panels , floor matting ,
side end blocker , payed extra for alco esc ,picnic table , water filter I will fit external one as well ,out side tv point , I have a prado 07 diesel auto should I get extended draw bar , swivel hitch I like the hyland , or anything else I have forgotten I have 2 young kids 3 and 8 weeks and carnt wait to take them caravanning , are chips the way to go for the car dose anyone else tow one with a prado

thanks for any advice I can get
bluey
Hi,

I have picked up my van in February which isn't the out back model, I would seriously suggest waterproof bed ends, we got caught in some pretty hard rain and I suppose as expected you cant hold all the water out. The dark privacy screens blocked some of the rain but are not waterproof, our canvas bed ends got wet in the corners and because our mattress was touching the canvas the mattress got wet. I'm currently saving up $800 so I can purchase 2 waterproof bed ends through GM coastwide canvas in Wollongong I've been told it will fully enclose the bed end and is water proof.
I would suggest purchasing an annexe as well for the extra room, I had one made through GM coastwide and am stoked, door and window back and front , long wall has a zip in the centre so can have one side up , flyscreens, all waterproof canvas on the outer and most of all easy to put up and take down, cost $2750 which included a floor so the annexe can be fully sealed.
I would also suggest a Reese and Hayman weight distribution levelling system for extra safety when towing.

All the best..