17' Series Blueys 2014 1756-2 outback

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
@Bluey, no haven't been to SA much, the weather is too much like what we have!! Our holidays are normally further north on the coast, kids and hubby kite surf and windsurf. I'm trying to get them to go inland more! Its pushing uphill!!! No didn't dive in Ewen Ponds on the last trip, checked it out though, but I did dive there years and years ago when I was younger. Yes I love SA, Port McDonald, Nelson etc, hoping to get there in the next 12 months - Easter time next year would be good. Kids and hubby complain about the cold water though!!! Speaking of cold water, have you been to Cape Bridgewater (very picturesque, just outside Portland), we have friends who lived there and visited often - locals call it Fridgewater Bay - I have never known water so cold.:o

Reactions: Bluey

Zacy

Apr 3, 2014
thanks so much bed ends I know will be an issue ive seen pics of ones from ADP caravans waterproof ends don't know how much ?
annex would be good don't know about cost for now its starting to blow out do u keep it in frount boot under bed ?
and yes I will be getting sway bars are they the same as weight distribution im not to worried about waiting till june for the van
9 week old baby now and carport roof has to come up 300mm so far for van im up to about 45 with all my extras add another 200 for extened draw bar maybe more power points outside tv point will be good put tv on vans picnic table ?? im not mounting it so I can move it around the tv that is on robe, next to queen dose ur van have shower toilet how dose it go we manly got them for the kids to hose them off and toilet for them still need things for the car carnt wait to stop spending maybe selling house too
its all happening

i store my annex in the van when the van is parked up, in the car when in transit. the front boot isnt that great, i store the outdoor fold up chairs in there with the a few other things.
Sway bars im led to believe are different to the weight distribution system, the electronic stabilty control system will correct sway which is what i have and the weight distribution system corrects your towing height which i just ordered for $595.
The van already comes with an external aerial point which is uatlised if the caravan park has a main feed.
Yes the van has a toilet and shower and we have used it and its great for the kids and me included so we cancelled our ensuite booking at the caravan parks and went with the standar site which is cheaper.
there is a power point outside the van on the side wall next to the entry door of the van
I pull the van with a Toyota Kluger which has a maxium towing capacity of 2000kg, according to the RTA, as long as i dont go over my maxium towing capacity of the car i"m legal even though my ATM on the van is 2499kg so water tanks are emptied before travelling, they account for approx 250kg whwn full. Also on that you will only need to full your water tanks when your freedom camping because if your at the parks your water will come straight from the mains to your van bypassing your 2 water storage tanks.
my kids are 2 and 5yrs old, they love the van.

Zacy

Apr 3, 2014
im getting the esc to mine is costing 900 to fit didn't know there is an outside tv point !!!!! I think there charging 89 to put one in have to check that out I have air bags on the rear of the prado to keep me level when towing I will ask reese or someone about thease issues have u felt the esc work ? im getting a under sink water filter and will put one outside on main line in or is that going to far theres some dodgy water out there , just read my features in book nothing about outside tv point doh !!!! but has outside 240volt the van is fittered with a wind up aerial I just thought a tv in annex when we get one would be good I will check my extras and get back to u
Hi,
yes i have felt the electronic stabilty control work, you feel the brakes on the van pulling you slightly. I thought at first is the handbrake on or dont i have my brake contoller in the car controlling the brakes adjusted properly, then i remembered i had the stabilty control fitted and its doing its job.
The water filter is great i have one inside the van, if you want to put one outside go for it.
the wind up aerial is good, we were at a park and couldnt get ABC2, kids were spewing because they couldnt watch there shows, we did buy a TV that has a USB so we download the kids movies on the USB stick and just plug it in, problem solved.
This is our first van so im learning something new every time. out layed alot of cash like yourself but have no regrets, young family so all worth it.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
gday bigcol check out steinbauer - power module and there on diesel care they have a wright up on them they don't pressurize
the rail or anything and they don't stop the car working if something wrong like other chip type ones do im not saying the bees knees just doing homework steinbauer have a web site to just google it u will find all

good on you @Bluey research is the key, and ask as many questions as you need to to know what ever it is
I always found the stupidest question, was the one NOT asked
I know "Chip-it" have just gone into receivership - Feb I think it was
and there was also another "brand" (cannot remember off hand) that alot of people were complaining about - someone else's chip inside their packaging + lots more dollars..........

the Steinbauer ones - are they the ones with multi settings..?

as I said, I am not a fan (mainly because I know nothing of) the chips - but I have never needed to - as my car is mechanically injected, not one of those fancy new fangled electronically controlled ones..... hahahaha
my next upgrade will mean I will have to research them - but at the moment -ignorance is bliss

cheers

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
thanks I will tell the misses I think with 2 kids may use it a bit but we don't have much storage as it is , an oven in and we loose more its such a hard decision
Have to say that like Relgate, we use our oven a lot.. With 3 kids, pizzas, chips, nuggets & chicken Kevins (what our kids call Kievs) are all easily done without any extra hassle, and if winter or Tassie camping like us, the added heat inside & not having to go out in the cold are very welcome.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I got the oven more for the sweet stuff. Brownies, sticky date puddings, scones and muffins. White chocolate and berry below.
20131201_112056.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

now Im hungry,..................

thanks
I think................................

Reactions: BigSkiddy

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
My wife does the same thing using the muffin tins. When we were away last time she ducked into the van, short time later it was like the masterchef kitchen. 12 sticky date puddings come out the door.
As far as storage goes I've more than enough for our family of four. Although we have the Discovery not Expanda

Reactions: The Wadamses

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
do u find u have enough storage in ur van
my wife has a sticky date recipe they are like muffins and u pour the sauce over each one after u heat it up in micronuke with ice cream its the best bigcol maybe u want the recipe too very easy to make

when I moved from the Flamingo to the Expanda - everything that came out, went into 17 (40Lt )tubs
only 9 tubs made it back into the new Expanda
we have several spare (empty) cupboards at the moment - probably change that soon enough
one suggestion made on here by (?) someone was
mark everything going into the Van with a "sticker dot" after 2 or 3 trips, anything with a sticker still on it - leaves the Van never to return
sound good in theory - but......

and YES
I wouldnt mind the recipe there @Bluey if your Missus dont mind too much -

cheers

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
We want Mrs BigSkiddy to come camping with us this Easter!!
Have done roasts, yep, but nothing gourmet like sticky date pudding.. THAT'S impressive!

Re storage: we have plenty for the 5 of us. Annex & store-away we keep under the dinette couch against queen bed (17 56-2). Stores in there perfectly. We also spend quite a bit of time there (the annex, not the under-seat storage :) depending on weather etc; usually put it up if staying 2 or more days anywhere.

Have found HEAPS of great storage ideas on this site inc big picnic table, chairs, poles & step ladder being mounted on the bed ends outside the van; has made a massive difference.

Highly, highly recommend trifold table also, as per earlier link I posted; what's made the biggest difference to space in our van, esp with 3 kids + friends in the mix.

We have ext drawbar too which we love re open back 4wd door etc. Are still deciding what style of toolbox to put on.. currently coveting a couple on this site ;) When it does happen, this'll give us more storage still; Honda eq currently travels in the van from point to point.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
relegate do u have an extended draw bar how much weight gain on the ball ????
Mate, I have no idea what you mean!!!
However, I recall this being discussed on this forum or another years ago and there was differing opinions. If I recall, it was decided that the advantage of length/levering was cancelled out be the extra weight of the steel. Am I on the right track?

In any case, all I can do is give you my ball weight....
According to Jayco it is 165kg. TARE is 1957KG

Hope that helps.......?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you know, somewhere in my shed is one of those "Ball weight" measuring things....

forgot all about it
I will look for it and see what mine is @Bluey

and I will gladly take the recipe off you mate.......

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Bluey you Sir are a LEGEND
going to pinch the Slice recipe as well........... hehehe

tis all file in my "recipe's" folder

BTW - I am the experimental cook in our crew - mmmmmmmm