photo-59.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks Burnsy.

I really enjoy this sort of stuff.

Meanwhile, the lawn still needs mowing.

Also made sure that I could open my front boot with the rack on.

I think the bikes will stay on the rack while we're set up. There out of the way and easily locked up. I`ll just wrap one of the 2 metre combo lock around the bikes and frame.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
bikerack3-jpg.jpgbikerack1-jpg.jpg
Here is the start of my bike rack for the drawbar. I bought a pacific bike rack which arrived in the post today. I have to make a crossbar to attach it to, first job will be to get all my clearances right so i dont hit the gas bottle or the van. I will post some more pics as it comes together.

Reactions: Zammm

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
bikerack4.jpg
bikerack6.jpg
bikerack7.jpg
bikerack8.jpg
bikerack9.jpg
bikerack10.jpg

Here are some pics of todays work. Really happy with the way it came up its solid as a rock and clears the gas bottle nicely. I just have to put in a couple of gussets and clean down and paint.

Reactions: Smergen and Zammm

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Wow, looks a million bucks 17triton. Good to see you've successfully managed to design a bike rack that has allowed you to leave the gas bottle and spare tyre in place.
Job well done!

Reactions: 17triton

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Carrying bikes is a difficult problem. Be mindful that the max load on the tow ball does not exceed vehicle specs. Each adult bike about 17-20kg.
Geoff

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
I wish I had consulted this thread prior to me designing my bike rack for the front of our expanda. A lot of good ideas here. I have a 4 bike rack on the back bumper. I cut a 75mm square hole through the guts of the RHS bar with an angle grinder. I then welded heavy wall RHS through the bumper to accept the 50mm square hitch bike mount. On the front I made a custom mount that accepts a 50mm tongue hitch and ball. I then mount a standard 3 bike ball mount bike rack to it. I did it this way so I can quickly and easily remove the rack to access the spare tire. The mount utilizes high tensile draw bolts and a clamping plate. I did not weld directly to the A frame as I believe in keeping things as standard and as "pretty" as possible. I have noticed that some people have welded RHS directly to their A frame. This is a no-no in the trailer manufacturing world. Welds should never be applied "across" the RHS A frames as it presents a stress point and can result in metal fatigue and failure. If they are required, they should be done in stitches with equal gap to weld spacings. The welds should if possible be done "along" the A frame from front to back or vice-versa. ( check out your trailers and caravans, they should not be welded across the RHS. ) I will try and get some photos to post up here. Maybe my ideas may help others (Maybe not).

Reactions: billykidd