Bike Rack mounted on front draw bar

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi People.

I just spotted this pic on the Trading Post and saw this particular bike rack mounted onto the front draw bar of an expands.

bikerack.jpg

I have the same set up. I`ve got the bike rack mounted on the back at the moment but feel that the rear bumper isn`t really strong enough to support 2 x bikes bouncing around on it. I like the idea of a bike rack mounted on the front for three reasons.

1. I can keep an eye on the bikes while travelling
2. I don`t have to remove bikes to open up the bed end {as mine is at the rear}
3. I think it`s better adding weight to the front of van for travelling

So can someone tell me the brand name of this particular bike rack, and how many bikes does it carry?

I`d like to get one without having to remove my jerry can.

Thanks.

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Hi Coastrunner

make is Thule - Hang On is the model we have which is a few years old (may be a newer version/different name now)

We have a similar setup on our Swan - I can email pics if you like

manning@pdcwa.com.au

Cheers

Paul

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Its a Thule Rack. It holds 4 bikes. The picture you have looks like it is missing some of the supports. Sorry dont have any pictures but will try over the weekend.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Guys.

Much appreciated.

Paulie. Yes I`d love it if you could send some pics across. I`m hoping not to have to keep pulling the bikes apart and squeeze them into the back of the Pajero.

There`s an option here to attached pics. If you put your mouse over the 3rd last icon it says "image" from there, you attach images the same way you would to an email.

Thanks again.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Buggar.

Bike Racks.

I bought this gadget on ebay hoping it would give me an easy way out

When connecting it to the van I soon realised that the tow ball will be too close to the vans tow bar grab handle.

If I start going up hill or round a corner I think the two will hit together and cause damage.

Looks like I`ll have to weld up a bracket and get a bike rack behind the van.

ATTACH=CONFIG]10707[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• towhitch.JPG
    towhitch.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 674

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
That's a bummer CR
We now have a Expanda and next job is bike rack
We got a 17.56 with extended draw bar so looking at doing similar to the Swan
Tho I'm thinking of having rack facing backwards..if that makes sense
Pain in the butt bike racks are...

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Expanda.

I`d like to fit 4 bikes on my front A Frame.

I already have a triple bike rack, that at the moment clips onto the rear bumper.

I see 3 problems with this.

1. I cant see the bikes as I`m driving if something goes wrong
2. My 14.44.2 has the bed at the rear, and I`d have to remove the bikes and rack before setting up. {A hassle for those 1 night stops}
3. I do have concerns about too much weight at the back.

After a good think, I`ve decided to have a crack at welding a stell plate across the the A frame, toward the front {just behind the hand brake}.

This way I can still access my spare tyre if needed. I may have to take the bikes and rack off, but hopefully I`ll hardly ever have to use the spare tyre so shouldn`t be a regular hassle.

If there`s room I`ll upgrade my triple bike rack to a 4 {Quadruple} bike rack.

This will be a great towing and storage spot for our bikes when away.

Now to put these thoughts into action.

Will post a pick of the job when done.

I welcome any feedback.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Coastrunner, I also need to do something about our bikes by Chrissy, If i run out of time i'll take them away in my roof basket! I made a new bar from 50x50x4mm RHS for our 16-49-1 when we had it and it was fine, the bike rack was one that had two square upright posts that was secured by two pins, so quick to remove but a pain for a 1 nighter like you say.
I would like to make another for my 18-57-6 and have it at back as we don't have back beds, possibly mount off spare wheel. One thing to check if your mounting your bikes up that far on A frame is clearance on your tug when turning sharp, although no doubt you'd do that anyway.
Good luck and look forward to your pics when done.

Cheers.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Guys,

Below are a couple of pictures of my effort at a bike rack. We only fit two kids bikes at the moment, but I can buy an adapter that fits up to 4 bikes to the top socket. This works well and folds down out of the way for the bed. On o/night stays I can even leave the kids bikes fitted and fold down or remove the socket and slide them off together and fold down for a quicker morning getaway. I also mounted a Gerry can holder to the inside. Seems to work well.

I do have the extended draw bar option which helps. Also I did not like the idea of welding to the draw bar while the van was still under warranty, so I simply made up a couple of clamping u bolts to hold it in place with a couple of nyloc nuts.

It may give you an idea or two!

IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0237.JPG

Kev

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Wow Feldty.

That is exactly what I had in mind.

I was just going to weld a flat plate across the A frame.

Yours looks fantastic.

I just removed my jerry can & holder to make room.

Looks like you`ve helped me find the new spot for it.

Love your pics. Thanks so much for posting them up.

I like the idea of U bolts over welding.

Something to consider.

5 stars to you champ.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good one Feldty, that might suit me too, did you bolt base of rack to the eye beam or weld?

Cheers.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
This is my solution to bikes...
62ADBB51-912C-426D-93D5-1F758E7F1E2E-6869-0000157F66937614.jpg

At a push I can fit 5 bikes on there if needed.
It mounts onto the towbar too, no mods to A frame required

DSC00098.jpg

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Good one Feldty, that might suit me too, did you bolt base of rack to the eye beam or weld?

Cheers.

Hi Burnsy,

I ended up doing both. I already had the eye beam left over from a retaining wall, so being Hot dip Galvanized made it difficult to weld. My initial intention was to simply weld it, but the bolts were added as a precaution.

Kev

Reactions: Burnsy

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Ok. Been a busy but fun day making up another mod.

Step 1

Cut a 40mm x 40mm Steel channel to the width of my van
Purchase 2 x 90degree angle steel {pre-drilled 10mm holes} on both sides
Hold them up against inside of A frame with the steel channel on top
Mark out the angles and points to connect with 10mm gal bolts
Drill holes for bolts and connect to A Frame

View attachment 10729

Step 2.

I cheated here. This was the set up that was already bolted and welded on to my rear bumper.
With the two u bolts welded to a steel plate with hole for tow ball, I connected it to the 50mm x 50mm channel which I had already bolted to my A frame
In both cases I used gal bolts with nylock nuts that cannot vibrate loose.

View attachment 10730

Step 3.

Connect Bike rack to bike rack mount
Connect bike to mount making sure it doesn`t hit front boot lid.

View attachment 10731

When I did this, I made sure that I had enough room to be able to remove the spare tyre. {I do have to remove the bikes from the rack to do this} But the rack and mount are far enough out of the way.
I also made sure that the numbers that were welded on the A Frame are still visible. Chassis number?
I made sure that the bike rack was far enough back, so that my car couldn`t hit the closest bike when turning.

Step 4 comes tomorrow, paint the steel channel and bike rack mount with rust guard or gal paint.

Now that it's virtually done I`m happy to have a front mounted rack over a rear one.

The main advantages a front rack has over a rear one.

1. You can always see you bikes when driving. If anything goes wrong you have a better chance of seeing it.
2. There is no obstructed rego plate.
3. Having a folding down bed at rear of van means I don`t have to remove bikes to set up the bed. {A pain for the one night stops}
4. I was always a little worried about having too much weight at the back making towing unstable and dangerous.

So that's another mod almost done.