Bike rack almost fell off

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
@Gilmorehappy or @Shane Norwell where are yours connected through wall I think if I drill through it take out the mirror in ensuite?

@davemc, newcastle is flooding so hard right now I dare not go outside to look! We're supposed to be leaving for Harrington from Newcastle tomorrow after work, which could be a mission with the East Coast low hitting locally around 6am. But, at the soonest time I'll have a good look inside and see if there is any bolt head evidence internally at the rear near cupboards and mirror..... I reckon hanging the 60 kg max Fiamma weight off the back wall needs very precise anchoring through the ally studs as suggested!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks found install instructions says through wall
Now wonder if they can be out on afterwards
image.png

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I ring the local place tomorrow and see what they will do.. They did not fit it not factory so see if they will fix it. Was put on and sold at a Jayco dealer so you expect Jayco to cover it.
Problem is if it can't be fitted after its made as have holes in the back now also caused problems half coming off..

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
We were told by the people we bought our van off that the fiama bike rack that was fitted to it was a 'factory fit' option as they add support/braceing internally in the back wall for extra support when they make the van.
Not sure if thats 100% true or not.

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Was following an Expanda up the M1 to Newcastle last Saturday with a bike rack on the rear bar.

The way it was bouncing up and down I was worried about following it.

I suspect there will be a rack with 4 bikes attached found on a road somewhere

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
That's why I love my wild trak. Bars on the side of ute well, roof racks that fit across the top of the roller cover [locked and safe gear and mostly waterproof] 4 bikes on rack locked and safe, no ladder needed to load bikes on or off, and can see them in rear view mirror at all times.

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The wall needs to be built in the manfacturing process to take a bike rack, like the blocking for a tv mount. It cant be retro fitted without significant structural mods. Mt Gambier Jayco service are clearly idiots

Your van was new wasnt it @davemc. Then its a warranty issue anyway.

Ours has stood upto a fair pounding, but i only have the Cruskets bike on it. My heavy tractor is on the roof of the car.

I hope you dont get jerked around too much

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Bayswater trying to find out from factory if it was pre built.. Booked in feb 18th get awning arm fixed as my silicone and larger screw job worked for two trips only.
Yes @Crusty181 brought new floor stock, have a feeling now they put the bike rack on to get the sale. Will see what factory says
If it can't be done then they can put a new back on for us.. Although I assume once they remove the fibreglass rear they can retrofit something instead of replacing it ;(

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Bayswater trying to find out from factory if it was pre built.. Booked in feb 18th get awning arm fixed as my silicone and larger screw job worked for two trips only.
Yes @Crusty181 brought new floor stock, have a feeling now they put the bike rack on to get the sale. Will see what factory says
If it can't be done then they can put a new back on for us.. Although I assume once they remove the fibreglass rear they can retrofit something instead of replacing it ;(
You sort of cop the things that go wrong, but stupidity is a whole other issue

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Why not just carry these new fangled, so called, hover boards. Take up little space and just need some safe recharging that shouldn't be a worry in the van with gas bottles around or in the car with fuel.

Saw a kid on a hover board in the park at Jommys Beach, actually looked pretty cool, but seemed to require coordination and balance so not something I will be attempting anytime soon

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Just rang no one back to 18th so find out them hopefully..
Rang as our third tank does not work two tanks empty, third full. Water pump just blowing air. Looks like front tank connected to second tank although not sure if gravity getting water for one to the next. I gather a air block or something.
they had no idea.. So will get under the van later

Reactions: bigcol