Bike rack almost fell off

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
So left head to Ballarat about 1k down the road looked in rear camera could see a bike;(
Pulled over guess what the bike rack we had put on before pick up they did not bolt through wall no held in with 4 tek screws and silicon..
Not happy
Rang out local dealer to help disassemble
Clips bent not easy pull out lucky I carry a toolkit.
Rang friend who came grabbed bikes and bike rack for us..
So those with bolt through I assume you have a plate in the wardrobe?
Got a dint on wall and the spare was bent

Also side awning arm come out again.. I hate tek screws to hold things ;(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 393

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
So left head to Ballarat about 1k down the road looked in rear camera could see a bike;(
Pulled over guess what the bike rack we had put on before pick up they did not bolt through wall no held in with 4 two screws and silicon..
Not happy
Rang out local dealer to help disassemble
Clips bent not easy pull out lucky I carry a toolkit.
Rang friend who came grabbed bikes and bike rack for us..
So those with bolt through I assume you have a plate in the wardrobe?
Ours has plastic covers I can see on the wall inside the vanitiy which I would think cover the nuts

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
See what happens was put on at Jayco Mount gambier so not done at factory... See if it is fixed at our local place. He said drill through put bolts on.. I assume they come with a plate.
Not happy look better at damage tomorrow.
Setup now kids supposed to be in bed although talking still.. Annex up which was not a hard job. Drive through to site which was easier ;) although almost collected the side of a tree branch

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@steve67 yeah only put the kids bikes up twice before been a pain in the @&&) to get them up
Took me a while last night with some swearing as if you put the big bike closest to the van then the arms would not reach kids so had to re do.
Lucky not far from our place over a speed bump I assumed did it.. Lucky friend had a wagon no idea how we get them home and forgot to say of course it was raining

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@tw
Glad there were no injuries Dave. Let us know what their permanent fix is.
I'm a fan of bikes on the roof. Small step ladder and less than 2 minutes to put them up and secure them.

View attachment 37993
Yes I said no bike rack last van we have a towball one. Stranded drawbar and stone shield cannot get more then 2
Rather roof as worry I loose them from rear, just lucky I looked when I did. Picking Mini up throw after work kids want to see if I can fit all their bikes in the back.. Not sure there clown bikes

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Coming home from Coffs Harbour just after Christmas and I saw a bike rack with bikes attached on the side of the road that had obviously fallen off the back of a car or trailer.. I have one on the back of our van that is well secured to the rear bar but it still worries me as I can't see it. I might move the the roof mount on the tug idea like some others.

steve67

Oct 9, 2014
Wantirna, VIC
@steve67 yeah only put the kids bikes up twice before been a pain in the @&&) to get them up
Took me a while last night with some swearing as if you put the big bike closest to the van then the arms would not reach kids so had to re do.
Lucky not far from our place over a speed bump I assumed did it.. Lucky friend had a wagon no idea how we get them home and forgot to say of course it was raining
Hopefully gets all sorted for you. What can make it worse is that you get to your destination, take the bikes off and they bloody don't get used!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
oooohhh not good @davemc
you were soo soo lucky to have spotted it before any more damage or loss
as @MDS69 said, I have seen a few on the side of the road this Xmas, part of a bike here, part of a bike rack there..............

making me have second thoughts about taking bikes
and I cannot put them on the roof - too freaking high

Reactions: Delano and davemc

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Dave
2 bolts through wall behind vanity and we were told the others bolts are behind the mirror which if fitted later most likely would mean mirror will brake

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Ta mate that's what I thought I call everyone up tomorrow when I commute to work..
Local dealer guy who helped pull it apart said just keep drilling through out anchor bolts in
Looked today think that is where the mirror is.
I had trouble removing the rack, had the right idea pins where bent hence they did not come out without a lot of force and rude words the kids hopefully did not hear

Last edited: