Best way to deploy drop jacks...

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Interested to know what is the best way to deploy the drop jacks...

Is it vertically or at an angle?

Which is the most stable?

Cheers,

Ro

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
verticle here too but i have always wondered once they hit the ground how much more? i tend to give another turn or so untill i see a little weight on them with the van sitting up slightly, what do others do?
Cheers

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
+1 for the vertical vote....

I've even dug out a little bit in some places just so I could have them all vertical.
Once they are on the ground I usually give a bit more just to tighten them all up, without placing much weight on them.
Afterall, they are not jacks, just stabilisers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Verticle here too. Although Jayco chose to weld one of the drop jacks out of verticle. So technically I guess 3 are verticle and one does what it wants to do.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
This is an interesting thread and one I was considering starting myself. It was recommended to me by Jayco (dealer) that you actually use the jacks/stabilizers out on an angle. It's a bit like the stabilizer legs on a crane....spread out like spider legs to reduce movement....guess it all just depends on the ground you are camped on. Who Knows!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Interesting. My dealer suggested straight down if possible. I notice the advert in the Camec catalogue also mentions that ere 'stronger' coz they are verticle, not like traditional angled stabalizers

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
It's amazing what different dealers tell you. I tend to agree with your line of thinking Relgate....it makes the most sense so it must be right :noidea:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Zerosecta,

Great idea of the cordless drill & 19mm bit and it also means that you can have a standard pressure setting by way of the drill's clutch/torque settings.

But I reckon the time it takes the kids to fight over and get the drop jacks down manually is enough time for me to get everything else set up!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I'm with Zerosecta. I used an old box spanner, thde type they used to issue for spark plugs. I found one end fitted the drop jacks so I found a long bolt that fitted into the other end and welded it in and use it with a battery drill.

ROnEM, Im sure if you had a battery drill to lower the jacks the fight to get them down would last a lot longer. :fencing:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I'm with the technology, too. I use a rechargeable socket wrench. Also use it for my custom tent pegs (coach screws with a right angle bracket). Screw them in...screw them out. Just a couple of different sizes does the trick with hard ground. No more bent pegs and much less swearing.