Best way to deploy drop jacks...

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan - what length coach screws do you use in place of tent pegs - 150mm and 200mm? Or shorter, particularly in hard ground?
Here you go, ROnEM.
powerpegs.jpgI carry both 150mm & 200mm sizes (that's a 200mm screwed in ground). 18v impact driver & 18mm socket fits both. I have a 19mm socket for the Alko's. The short extension shown in the driver is sufficient for both jobs. I haven't yet got around to colour coding the sockets. The "S" hook works with standard guy ropes – and elastic bands/straps for privacy screens on annexe. Anything with a hook can connect directly into the angle bracket. I plan to rig up a "holster" for both impact driver, and battery drill inside the hatch, so they're always within easy reach.

A tip when using traditional steel pegs: The harder the ground, the stronger (thicker) the peg you need to avoid bending them and upsetting neighbours. But the stronger pegs also seem to be the longest! Buy the heavy long pegs and cut them down to short peg length (and sharpen tip) with your angle grinder. Saves weight and frustration.

Reactions: Ligedy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I saw a bloke put his drop jacks down then tension with a tension wrench. Haven't seen that before.

Lol retired engineer?

I use left over totem tennis bats under the feet to spread the load, some times there not left over and the kids get the ump!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Here you go, ROnEM.
View attachment 9299I carry both 150mm & 200mm sizes (that's a 200mm screwed in ground). 18v impact driver & 18mm socket fits both. I have a 19mm socket for the Alko's. The short extension shown in the driver is sufficient for both jobs. I haven't yet got around to colour coding the sockets. The "S" hook works with standard guy ropes – and elastic bands/straps for privacy screens on annexe. Anything with a hook can connect directly into the angle bracket. I plan to rig up a "holster" for both impact driver, and battery drill inside the hatch, so they're always within easy reach.

A tip when using traditional steel pegs: The harder the ground, the stronger (thicker) the peg you need to avoid bending them and upsetting neighbours. But the stronger pegs also seem to be the longest! Buy the heavy long pegs and cut them down to short peg length (and sharpen tip) with your angle grinder. Saves weight and frustration.

How do you find the coach screws hold in the ground?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hold fine in hard ground, which is why I went that way (Got the idea from a UK vanning site but couldn't afford the real deal).
For soft stuff (i.e. the sandy stuff and the seaside) I now sometimes use the big "recycled plastic" pegs, after getting jack of barking my shins on the short star picket lengths with hooks welded on that I used to use. Don't miss the weight either.