Just Browsing Awning LED's on the Awning Barrel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I still have 27 years before I can think of saying that... Even longer if Mr Hockey has his way.

BJ.

With 27 to go you would have been slaving till 70 anyway even under the old mob, the secret is to save like buggery because super aint gonna be enough unless you are really overpaid.
I worked out that over 20 yrs what I had paid in and what the grand total was, meant that overall it made 2% a year, because once you take out 15% tax on contribution, fee's, insurance etc you don't really make all that much. I clicked to how much the insurance was sucking out and stopped it, the difference in the total each year was greatly improved. Look at it very hard as most are getting ripped off with their Super and won't find out till too late if ever.
I retired at 60, not a finance wizard just an old truckie but made some decent decisions, arsey I think actually but have a good look at the future and don't trust financial advisers.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
see - I have a different view on "superannuation"

its a freaking rip off............

only what the Gov. says the company has to pay goes into it. none of my money
earn it - pay tax
put it into Super - pay tax
sitting in super - pays tax
I retire and get anything left....... pay tax on the residue

Last of the Baby Boomers - they have to pay me a pension....................... :biggrin-26::biggrin::biggrin-26::biggrin::biggrin-26::biggrin::biggrin-26::biggrin:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I t is one of the biggest rip offs, Labor didn't carry out there promise to add 3% much like the Super Choice debacle, sounds great until you read the fine print at least I don't have to battle the pay office and HR minions anymore.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was working for Boral when Bob Hawke introduced it, they (Boral) were paying 3% even though the Gov only said 1.5% at the time
but it was into their super fund
and if you wanted anyone else - you only got the 1.5%

ripped of right from the early 80%

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We'll get back to it, just keeping it at the top of the pile...................:director:

So any news on the stain from the Jayco people ????? :focus: I still reckon it's the heat inside the wrapped vinyl causing the silicon shield over the lights to sweat out, I think it will happen no matter whether lights on or off................might just be the brand/batch used at the time why some do and some don't.........................might do an experiment as I have a strip of led's and vinyl, make a short bit up and wrap it around a tent pole and leave in the sun...............................:encouragement:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just bumping this thread

My factory fitted LED's in the awning have now failed.

I suspect water has got into them as the awning is invariably wet when we roll it out.

Has anyone tried to repair/replace these yet ?

Just wondering if it's worth doing. We miss the light but it has pain written all over it.

Reactions: Eeram55 and bigcol

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
Have listed mine as a warranty repair as the black started to become milky.

My In-laws have replaced theirs with apparently not too hard - but me thinks its a design fault....

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I think they're very susceptible to water damage and so are regarded as short term. Ours lasted about 18months before they failed but I got the impression Jayco accept that and that it's easy and relatively cheap to replace.

The trick is getting the right size and spec but easy to do, they told me. I didn't do it but know our local caravan repairer do lots of them.

But they're certainly great when they work!

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks, will do some investigating.

Looks like Carefree do a replacement kit for them, which they now advertise as fully waterproof.

OK, so the plot thickens.

Purchased a replacement LED strip kit ($178.00) and replaced per the video above. Switched it on........... nothing !!

So I'm now trying to work out where the wires go after they dissapear into the wall.

Would anyone have any ideas ??

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
no Sir

No Eye Deer

Just spoke to my friendly service agents, and they told me there is no such thing as a wiring diagram for any caravan manufacturer, but he did give me some clues as to a common fault.

Apparently the wire running down the side of the fabric often breaks causing this issue.

I tested the cable just near where it comes out of the wall, and bingo. it has power, so now to replace the wire in the side of the awning fabric.

Reactions: Dobbie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I tested the cable just near where it comes out of the wall, and bingo. it has power, so now to replace the wire in the side of the awning fabric.

I remember reading in the thread (which I cannot find) about fitting the wiring through the side of the awning

use a length of "whipper snipper" line............. the small stuff
you can tape the wiring to that and draw it through

or

tape it to the old stuff and gently draw the new in........

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Let there be light!

It's worth doing as the LEDs are so useful and effective.

Did you have any trouble sourcing the replacement?

(And that's one of the useful hints, processes ideas to add to the notes list we should keep to avoid multiple searches)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I remember reading in the thread (which I cannot find) about fitting the wiring through the side of the awning

use a length of "whipper snipper" line............. the small stuff
you can tape the wiring to that and draw it through

or

tape it to the old stuff and gently draw the new in........

Hoping I can use the old wire to pull it through, will report soon

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Well the job is done, LED's working again.

What a PITA of a job !!

Tried to use old wire to pull through new one, failed - wire broken
Tried to use the whipper snipper cord as suggested by @bigcol, failed - wouldnt push through the vinyl.
Tried a thick guage wire, managed to push it through but couldnt attach wires and they kept getting stuck
Tried a thinner guage wire, made a hook on the end, took sheath off new cable and attached inner conductors to hook - success !!

I used a slightly more flexible cable to replace the original, so hopefully it will last a bit longer than the original.

Lesson learned, test the cable before replacing the LED strip, although I dont mind getting a new one, as a few of the old LEDs had failed and it was yellowing anyhow.

Replacement LED kit was very easy to install, but the wiring up the side of the vinyl was a different story.