Just Browsing Awning LED's on the Awning Barrel

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
after looking at the Picture supplied by @Flossymk1 with a stain on her awning - in line with her LED's

Flossymk1.jpg

it got me thinking,
there are a few people who have had them "factory" fitted, and some brave souls have even done this Mod themselves. Now, I have been slowly collecting the bits needed to do this Mod, but I am now overly curious

how many people with the Factory fitted ones have a stain / mark.................?

how many people who did the Mod themselves have the stain/mark - or anything..........?

if you are able to, can everyone roll out their awning and have a look........?

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We have the factory fitted LED strip and now have the factory fitted burn mark after someone left the switch on whe t eh awning was rolled up. No it wasn't me, or my family actually but a friend.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just had a quick look...... Factory and no stain/marks.
No one's left the switch turned on YET!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We have the factory fitted LED strip and now have the factory fitted burn mark after someone left the switch on whe t eh awning was rolled up. No it wasn't me, or my family actually but a friend.

now thats a bummer.................
is it the same as per the Pic?

reasons for me asking are :-
I want more light under awning
I want to "dim" the light if required
I dont want to be damaging the awning if I can help it
I want a "one shot fitted and sorted" solution

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside

@bigcol have you consdiderd a Korr LED light kit? http://korrlighting.com.au/led-camping-lights.html

I brought one of the four bar kits for lighting in my soft floor camper trailer and they are brilliant. When I had the soft floor I would set up three or four bars throughout the camper depending on what we required, all had individual switches and dimmers. I now only use one in the Expanda awning (I have an external 12V socket) over the Weber when cooking but I would never get rid of the kit.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I fitted my own but plug it into a socket I made that connects it to the outside light.
That way, I cannot lower my roof with the led strip plugged in let alone on.
Need to go to my thread to see photos of what I mean.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Factory fitted no stain but we make it a habit to hit the off button for the lights in the silverline this turns off all the lights in the van with one switch hopefully this is a good fail safe to prevent them being left on

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What is the advantage of having the LED's on the awning barrel ????
I have fitted mine just under the trim on top of the wall and can have them on no matter what position the awning is in and have found it puts out heaps of light. No problem with it being left on or wiring hassles.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I have fitted mine just under the trim on top of the wall and can have them on no matter what position the awning is in and have found it puts out heaps of light. No problem with it being left on or wiring hassles.
I to have done this mod with one on the barrel and the other under the awning attached to the van. My opinion the same as @Drover I can't see any advantages to putting the one on the barrel to be honest.

If I had a choice again I would have only install the LED lights on the van just under the awning.

Reactions: dagree

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
makes my 2013 Basestation look like a 2014?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Factory fitted, no stains or marks cause it hasnt worked since day one ! Jayco warrantty is so behind it will be May before its looked at!

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014

Yes my mark is the same as the pic.
I called into my brothers place on the way home from the Christmas break and he wanted a look inside the van. I opened the door and he stuck his head and I am sure he played with the light switches as you do. I got home and plugged the van into 240V to keep the fridge going until we unpacked everything over the next few days. I washed the van and opened the awning to clean it and found the light on.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

the advantages I see are
1) more light
2) more light under Awning
3) more light
4) more light if you have a heap of people invading your awning for drinks and nibbles, you can see what your eating..........
5) more light for reading
6)more light if you have the awning (and side shade set up as an awning for more area) and you have a heap of people invading you for drinks and nibbles.....

Reactions: dagree and Smirke