Awning arm mod

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,

I thought i'd put up a pic of the first mod i did on the expanda which works great and saves time. I replaced the set screws on top of the awning arms that hold the caps on for the roll out awning with stainless steel eye bolts. That way you only need to clip your ropes on via a spring clip which is also stainless and there is no stress on your barrel. This mod is a two person job as you need someone to hold the barrel while you slip the bracket off the top.

1st remove the screw then while supporting the barrel slide the bracket off the top. Then you need to remove the blind nut in the arm itself by drilling out with a 10mm (I think from memory) drill bit, this will collapse the nut. Replace bracket over the arm again and put your eye bolt through with a washer and nut fitted so it has something to tighten up to. You don't have much room behind the arm for a washer and nut because the other sliding arm need to be able to slide past it if this makes sense, you probably only have about 6mm or so. Anyway here's a pic.

Picture 684.jpg

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi cuey, I had a few more things planned for my 16' but it's up for sale now so will wait untill I get our 18' (same as yours). First thing will be awning arms and canvas fly like yours then I'll go from there!

Cheers.

Cuey

Jan 31, 2012
Good Choice for the 18.57-6 mate. The family will love it.

If you want any info on what we got for our pricing... let me know

Cuey...

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Good thinking swapping out the exisitng bolts.
I did similar but used one of the them padeye type connectors attached to the steel arm itself. Two bolts drilled through from the back, but doesn't interfere with the sliding arm.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good Choice for the 18.57-6 mate. The family will love it.

If you want any info on what we got for our pricing... let me know

Cuey...

Hi mate, I normally don't like talking dollars as sometimes it can offend but might do through pm's!

Cheers.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hmmm! I think that`ll be my next mod.

Just one question for Burnsy.

Couldn`t you get an eyebolt that screws straight into the existing lock nut within the awning arm?

I thought that might save a bit of work and possible damage?

Or is the thread size on the existing nut too small?

I do like the mod. I think all arms need extra support. I`m surprised that these awnings never come with extra attachment points for additional ropes to peg down in the stronger winds.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hmmm! I think that`ll be my next mod.

Just one question for Burnsy.

Couldn`t you get an eyebolt that screws straight into the existing lock nut within the awning arm?

I thought that might save a bit of work and possible damage?

Or is the thread size on the existing nut too small?

I do like the mod. I think all arms need extra support. I`m surprised that these awnings never come with extra attachment points for additional ropes to peg down in the stronger winds.

Hi coastrunner, now you got me thinking....yeah I'm sure the thread was too small, however this time I did what I think SD was talking about and bolted on the stainless steel pad bolt bits like you can see in this pic. It was just a bit easier and a 1 man job!

Cheers.

Picture 728.jpg

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Burnsy.

My only concern is that there could be a lot of pressure on that one little area where the screws are in. I`m thinking if a strong wind comes up it could pull hard against the srews and rip them out of the arm?

I really want to have a fixed attachment like this as I really don`t want to tie a rope around the arm or roller.

Maybe if there was a larger plate placed on the inside of the awning arm to spread the load and fastened with small bolts with nylon nuts?

What do you think?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Definitely merit in placing plate within the internal channel of the awning arm. I like the stainless clips available for these tie off points.you can see then within the thread of ebay finds.cheers pace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks Burnsy.

My only concern is that there could be a lot of pressure on that one little area where the screws are in. I`m thinking if a strong wind comes up it could pull hard against the srews and rip them out of the arm?

I really want to have a fixed attachment like this as I really don`t want to tie a rope around the arm or roller.

Maybe if there was a larger plate placed on the inside of the awning arm to spread the load and fastened with small bolts with nylon nuts?

What do you think?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Burnsy. So I am going to see how much space is available inside the channel for a nice wide washer and nut.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks Burnsy.

What do you think?

Hi mate, I know what your saying. I used 2x 5mm countersunk ss bolts, washers and nuts on each arm so my opinion if these rip out in wind then I think the whole awning would be ripped off the van! I really think this mounting is more than sufficient. I think the weak link is the rivet type thing that attaches the barrel to the cap on top of arm.

Cheers.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Burnsy,

Great Mod - I was thinking of doing the same after our last outing as there is not a "clean" way to put any guy-rope on.

Thanks for doing all the hard work for us in figuring out this one.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: Burnsy