All non essential travel canceled

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Shes not bad ive seen worse
I believe that the "dickhead" politicians we have in Australia could learn a few things from her.
But it is not likely to happen since they never listen to anyone else except themselves.

I can use that word since it has just been used by a State Police Commissioner in a media interview to describe a citizen.

cheers
Mike

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
All QLD state controlled campgrounds will be closed as of Thursday 26th March.....http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/3/25/campgrounds-close-in-response-to-covid19-outbreak

Campgrounds close in response to COVID-19 outbreak
The Palaszczuk Government today announced the closure of all campgrounds in national parks, state forests and state managed recreation and protected areas, in response to the COVID-19 (corona virus) outbreak.
Minister for Environment and the Great Barrier Reef Leeanne Enoch said this decision is consistent with the expert medical advice of the state’s Chief Health Officer, with closures coming into effect from tomorrow.
“As the Easter school break approaches, closure of the campgrounds will help protect the health and safety of campers, the wider community as well as Queensland Park and Wildlife Service (QPWS) rangers and staff,” Minister Enoch said.
“The Premier has been very clear that Queenslanders should cancel their Easter break plans and stay close to home.
“The nature of the shared facilities in campgrounds, like toilets and showers, is a significant concern in the current circumstances.
“There are around 470 camping areas in Queensland’s parks and forests and QPWS rangers will immediately be contacting members of the public who are currently at camp sites, and those who have booked a site.
"This includes camping areas at K’gari (Fraser Island), Inskip Point, Cooloola Coast, Moreton Bay Islands, and all other national parks and forests across the state where camping is permitted. National parks in Cape York are already closed to the public.”
Day-use areas, tracks and trails will remain open at this stage and social distancing rules will still apply.
The closure of camping grounds does not include residential caravan parks.
Increased signage will be placed in high visitation areas throughout the State to keep the public informed of closures.
“The health of the community is our number one priority and minimising the spread of corona virus is imperative.” Minister Enoch said.
People who have camp sites booked will receive a full refund for unused camping permits.
For more information please go to www.des.qld.gov.au
ENDS

Wrong @Drover about NOT closing private caravan parks as well as national parks camping areas. Just got home from Crows Nest national Park where we learnt about closures yesterday at 1.00pm when Anna gave her speech. Rangers came around at 4.00pm to tell us that this was last night to stay as closed tomorrow (Thursday). Later on it became clear that under the "Emergency Declaration" that exists, the state has ordered all caravan parks to close by 5.00am today. This has already occurred at Imbil Retreat as they advised that they have been forced to close under the new regulations. Got home to find another email from Poona Palms saying they have been forced to close and all future bookings have been cancelled. Full refund available or credit for future stay offered. So that is one way of stopping people moving around from one van place to another. I guess if you are a permanent resident at the park, then that is your home and no outsiders (travellers) are welcome, and that is where you will have to stay. Tough times ahead...no "grey nomads" going anywhere. Could be a lot of self isolation as you go from one state to another, even if you were free camping all the time. Stay safe and stay well!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wrong @Drover about NOT closing private caravan parks as well as national parks camping areas. Just got home from Crows Nest national Park where we learnt about closures yesterday at 1.00pm when Anna gave her speech. Rangers came around at 4.00pm to tell us that this was last night to stay as closed tomorrow (Thursday). Later on it became clear that under the "Emergency Declaration" that exists, the state has ordered all caravan parks to close by 5.00am today. This has already occurred at Imbil Retreat as they advised that they have been forced to close under the new regulations. Got home to find another email from Poona Palms saying they have been forced to close and all future bookings have been cancelled. Full refund available or credit for future stay offered. So that is one way of stopping people moving around from one van place to another. I guess if you are a permanent resident at the park, then that is your home and no outsiders (travellers) are welcome, and that is where you will have to stay. Tough times ahead...no "grey nomads" going anywhere. Could be a lot of self isolation as you go from one state to another, even if you were free camping all the time. Stay safe and stay well!!

If you read the media release I posted you will notice I highlighted the section regarding "Residential Caravan Parks" the QLD Government media release said nothing about private caravan parks and non essential travel folk...... so I fail to see how I could be Incorrect about something I never stated............... Though the new regs about gatherings of certain sizes and besides the use of communal facilities just says shut up shop folks even if you can be self contained. My fridges wouldn't hold enough beer for a long quarantine anyway let alone the food so I will be staying at home, heaps of fridge space....

Just heard the Drop Kicks are thinking about closing the tin Can Bay boat ramp ........stupidity big time.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
If you read the media release I posted you will notice I highlighted the section regarding "Residential Caravan Parks" the QLD Government media release said nothing about private caravan parks and non essential travel folk...... so I fail to see how I could be Incorrect about something I never stated............... Though the new regs about gatherings of certain sizes and besides the use of communal facilities just says shut up shop folks even if you can be self contained. My fridges wouldn't hold enough beer for a long quarantine anyway let alone the food so I will be staying at home, heaps of fridge space....

Just heard the Drop Kicks are thinking about closing the tin Can Bay boat ramp ........stupidity big time.
Vic caravan parks now closed to holiday makers, but they can choose to remain open for bonafide nomads and emerg accom

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Should have Trump then all the stupidity is concentrated in one place.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

Hi @Drover , sorry about the way my message came across. Whilst I was away camping, all I was thinking about was the travelling holiday public. This was re-inforced in a later message on the ABC radio that afternoon about caravan parks in general, notwithstanding the fact that some parks have residents permanently on site. Of course there are ALWAYS exceptions (essential travel folk), but I doubt any of us meeting that criteria, unless an emergency health issue existed. I think @Crusty181's message says it all. Parks closed to holiday makers travelling only to enjoy themselves, but park owners have the choice to stay open and just look after the few passing "essential" travellers and any "permanent residents (if they have any) and not take any risks for themselves or the local folk around them. As you said in your post on Monday at 4.18pm, they would not at all be happy with a confirmed case brought in by a passing holiday traveller spreading the virus around the district!!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Article where the vic parks want to keep cabins open as self sufficient.. Saying motels are open.
Fair point.
Also said if parks had to close everything they probably go broke and that force out the permanents.
Again fair point.
Those traveling should hopefully soon found somewhere too bunker down.
So will not be that much travel for a while.
Going to be a really bad 6-12 months. Lot of unemployment.

Stay safe everyone.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I saw an article in ABC News online that Halls Gap Lakeside Tourist Park is open for those in vans stuck and have no where to go.........
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/coronavirus-sees-travellers-stuck-in-caravan-parks/12088742

The thing is unless you are self contained then a caravan park would quickly become a hot spot, sharing facilities wouldn't be a good idea, toilets, showers and kitchens.......

Too true @Drover. A great way to keep your park going, but at high risk if someone starts the virus in that park. Then whole place will be isolated. Risky!!! Although I feel for those on the road looking for somewhere to hole up, where do you stay as you are not able to travel. It could be a long period of being isolated.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Personally I see this months of closure.. If I was on the lap i would pointed for home or family.
A lot of people rented out their homes although hopefully get to family have somewhere to park.
Or maybe as @Drover said above find a park near family.

The flip side if your away from where there are cases do you find a cheap farm stay etc and stay put
There will be a lot of farmers who need help

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Personally I see this months of closure.. If I was on the lap i would pointed for home or family.
A lot of people rented out their homes although hopefully get to family have somewhere to park.
Or maybe as @Drover said above find a park near family.

The flip side if your away from where there are cases do you find a cheap farm stay etc and stay put
There will be a lot of farmers who need help

Or perhaps there are a lot of farmers and others who have already been given help after the floods and bush fires who might now want to help others by offering those in need a place to stay on their properties.

cheers
Mike

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We canceled a trip in june to echuca thinking because of all things happening we should to see if we get our 50 back No way are you getting the 50 back its in our cancellation policy realy i said so you factored in Corona virus into your policy when ?? years ago when you drew that up theres forward thinking you should have warned us all it was comming thanks for that your a real human being its fair to say i wont be back in your park the call quickly ended riverside park Echuca we will now stay at the new Discovery park in Echuca when we go there its so easy to loose business when you behave like a prikkkk

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
We canceled a trip in june to echuca thinking because of all things happening we should to see if we get our 50 back No way are you getting the 50 back its in our cancellation policy realy i said so you factored in Corona virus into your policy when ?? years ago when you drew that up theres forward thinking you should have warned us all it was comming thanks for that your a real human being its fair to say i wont be back in your park the call quickly ended riverside park Echuca we will now stay at the new Discovery park in Echuca when we go there its so easy to loose business when you behave like a prikkkk
Put a comment on tripadvisor and wikicamps detailing your experience.

Also, if you paid by credit card, ask them for a refund for non supply of service.

Yep, now we will see the greedy nature of some of these caravan park owners and the considerate nature of the others.

We need to trumpet the considerate ones and ensure everyone knows about the inconsiderate ones so that in future we can support the parks that deserve our business.

cheers
Mike

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I was booked into a big 4 at port Elliot and they sent me an email asking for my bank details to refund in full, my brother was booked into Calala bay big4 and he received the same email we could choose to change our bookings 12 months on but I’m not sure I’ll make it back. This must be a big4 policy. If a park refused me I’d be onto the local member at least after trip advisor. I booked into hidden valley in Darwin for the V8’s and the girl said I’m sure we’ll refund you if the event is canceled I hope we can make it I’m getting older

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The State has ordered all caravan parks closed to holiday travelers indefinitely and with no re-open date stated. I would think they have shot themselves in the foot a little. Contact them by email and in light of the current closures ask them for a supply guarantee for your booking, and also the precise date that they are re-opening the park to travelers. Their reply should be enough to chase up your deposit down the track

Last edited:
Reactions: davemc