Aldi specials

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Doing the same. another mod i will be doing is attach sail track to anti flap kit on the outer side to some how attach this porch. Watch this space for another Pace mod.

Pace.
Our anti flap kit has two sail tracks one for the awning wall and one ready for a porch so I am hoping it will fit in here. I will let you know.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well, I got into Aldi 0910 yesterday morning, found a heap of stock as advertised. Got the porch all good. Done the usual Saturday morning thing and attended kids activities, then scored 1 basketball game early arvo.

Once home started to mod anti flap kit to accept sail track for porch attachment, all good done in 20 mins. Got the porch out and wife and I started attachment no problem, THEN once i create tension on porch to generate its required formation, BANG outcome the anti flap arm from the top support stay.

Fortunately the awning never ripped, so wife and i agreed that this wasn’t a good option. Given the day was still without any wind, imagine when the wind blows up. Packed up, put it away for think time OR another member to share their experience OR assistance in my described dilemma.

Thx Pace.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hit Aldi this morning and picked up an awning floor mat and washing ling.... Both great. And what a bargain for the washing line at $29...

Good on ya, Aldi

image.jpg

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Well, I got into Aldi 0910 yesterday morning, found a heap of stock as advertised. Got the porch all good. Done the usual Saturday morning thing and attended kids activities, then scored 1 basketball game early arvo.

Once home started to mod anti flap kit to accept sail track for porch attachment, all good done in 20 mins. Got the porch out and wife and I started attachment no problem, THEN once i create tension on porch to generate its required formation, BANG outcome the anti flap arm from the top support stay.

Fortunately the awning never ripped, so wife and i agreed that this wasn’t a good option. Given the day was still without any wind, imagine when the wind blows up. Packed up, put it away for think time OR another member to share their experience OR assistance in my described dilemma.

Thx Pace.

Hi pace,,, pretty keen on one of these to but not keen spending the 70 if I'm not going to be able to use it...

What about attaching it to the cross bar that go's from the van to the awning roller instead? Would that work?

Reactions: pace9908

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi pace,,, pretty keen on one of these to but not keen spending the 70 if I'm not going to be able to use it...

What about attaching it to the cross bar that go's from the van to the awning roller instead? Would that work?

I was on the same thinking zero. But not for the above reason but thought it would distort the Aldi awning too much? Making a piece of sail track to strap to the cross bar. It is a bit light but then there is a gap under and over the awning. I am suprised it pulled out so easily. Last year I got a silver 12x8 tarp modded with sail track on one end and fastened it into the anti flap rail, then extend out 6ft and down 6ft for privacy. I put the weber under here. Had a few days if heavy winds at Bermagui and it didn't pull out of the anti flap track!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Having thought about this one before i buy our at Aldi on Saturday - And by my reckoning - you actually better off with three legs than four... Because with three it is much better for ground that is not level, where as with four, on uneven ground you are likely to always have one of the legs off the ground anyway due to rocking.. Thats not to say that its going to stand perfectly vertical with three, just that all three legs will always be on the ground..

Just a thought...

You are correct about three legs on uneven ground but the problem is load it full of heavy beach towels on the outter rails and the weight is not supported with legs under it like the 4 leg version. Generally van parks are pretty level and I manage with the table etc so 4 legs wouldn't be an issue.

I now always peg it down and screw it together (forget plastic thumb screws) and have no more probs. Other than its another Piece of junk I have to carry.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
I was on the same thinking zero. But not for the above reason but thought it would distort the Aldi awning too much? Making a piece of sail track to strap to the cross bar. It is a bit light but then there is a gap under and over the awning. I am suprised it pulled out so easily. Last year I got a silver 12x8 tarp modded with sail track on one end and fastened it into the anti flap rail, then extend out 6ft and down 6ft for privacy. I put the weber under here. Had a few days if heavy winds at Bermagui and it didn't pull out of the anti flap track!

Yeah Exactly that Jim. We never wanted the gap between the porch and the awning, hence the attempted attachment to the anti flap. I really think the cross bar Zero talks of isnt sufficient to handle such an item due to its light gauge material used.

So again, if theres any other variations to this potential porch attachment, please feel free to pass on. I'm still thinking there could be a way.

Thx Pace.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No rain at all there POD; Mrs Pace thought of that, she bought it with a switch on it which can be either on/off or auto. Up there for thinking Mrs Pace.
Just an update, Pace (and clever Mrs Pace). The fridge light you put us on to worked a treat while we were away. After some experimenting finally fitted it just under the top shelf on door. Now I know what I'm drinking in middle of night! Haven't yet decided on where the spare one will go best - maybe in the hatch??

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Yeah Exactly that Jim. We never wanted the gap between the porch and the awning, hence the attempted attachment to the anti flap. I really think the cross bar Zero talks of isnt sufficient to handle such an item due to its light gauge material used.

So again, if theres any other variations to this potential porch attachment, please feel free to pass on. I'm still thinking there could be a way.

Thx Pace.

Van comes out of storage next week Easter trip, i have a varation on my above attempt. Keep you all posted. Pace.

Just an update, Pace (and clever Mrs Pace). The fridge light you put us on to worked a treat while we were away. After some experimenting finally fitted it just under the top shelf on door. Now I know what I'm drinking in middle of night! Haven't yet decided on where the spare one will go best - maybe in the hatch??

Thx XF, suggestion for the 2nd light, what about in the massive hall way you got to get the bathroom during the "wee" early hours of the morning?? Pace.

Reactions: Xpandafan

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Right... From washing lines to generators :)

i see aldi have 2200w generator coming up in the next week for 299. Anyone got one?

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Right... From washing lines to generators :)

i see aldi have 2200w generator coming up in the next week for 299. Anyone got one?

They look like a standard generator I'd stick with an inverter ( the Honda type not the plug into 12v type) much quieter and cleaner more stable electricity

But in saying that I have a similar 5kva one that I use for work and it hasnt missed a beat in 5 years

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Dad bought one last time they were available and uses it as a backup for the Honda at a property they borrow. Said it is satisfactory. Under full load it struggles a bit, but is good at a lesser load.