Starcraft 2014 Starcraft 17.58.3 Outback

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
FYI I'm a new member - have never owned a caravan before, but am planning "the big lap" with the family next year.

We just ordered our 17.58-3 OB - not arriving until October/November - but that's ok as we have nowhere to store it at the moment! Have been looking at Expandas along with other brands - had our heart set on the Expanda 14.44.4 but got lazy and decided we could not bother to make our bed every day ;) (yes - we'll pay for that by using more fuel with a heavier van!) - also there is not much storage in that van. We have two young kids, so the bunks suit us perfectly - it is a bit surprising how few vans have bunks. After we moved off the Expanda we had our heart set on the Starcraft 17.58.1 - but then my wife and I argued about who would take the kids to the toilet during the night (and as the person who slept on the outside edge of the bed I knew it would be me!) - so we went for the shower/toilet model. I can't see us using the shower at all except perhaps to clean off the kids feet before they hop into bed (last time we went camping they were like feral children...). Does anyone use the showers next to the toilets - the idea does not thrill me?

Anyway - we got the following options:

- Upgraded fridge (N504)
- In-roof air conditioning (Aventa)
- Door outside the lower bunk to access the storage from the outside
- TV arm (Kogan.com has a cheap TV with DVD player for caravans - seems much better than the Jayco one)
- Control panel (for battery and water tanks)
- Supply and fit electronic brakes and 12 pin plug on the car
- Wind-up aerial

I paid $41K for this. Not sure if this is a good price as I am a virgin in the caravan game!

I have heard stories on uneven tyre wear on the vans with the new suspension - so will get the wheels aligned soon after we pick it up (or ask Jayco to make sure it comes aligned!). Also I've been reading about unprotected pipes under the vans being damaged - so will look to protect them - and check it is fully water and dust-proofed. Anything else I should be planning on doing when I get the van to make sure it is in good working order?

Am thinking of putting a reverse camera on the back of the van too - has anyone done that (I assume there is a forum on the topic?). Am keen to know which are the better solutions there.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome and congrats @timbo2002 I am sitting in a 17.58-1 our first night away. Have four kids so brought the one with three bunks and can drop the dinette. Let you know if we should of gone shower/toilet in a few trips I guess :)
We put a safety dave rear camera system in, I put it temporary on bumper (cable ties/gaffa) worked well on the way down will make it more perm when we get back.
We put a external shower which is under bunk so they where not sure about extra hatch will see.
Tyre wear will check once we get home only done 100kms :)

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Welcome and congrats @timbo2002 I am sitting in a 17.58-1 our first night away. Have four kids so brought the one with three bunks and can drop the dinette. Let you know if we should of gone shower/toilet in a few trips I guess :)
We put a safety dave rear camera system in, I put it temporary on bumper (cable ties/gaffa) worked well on the way down will make it more perm when we get back.
We put a external shower which is under bunk so they where not sure about extra hatch will see.

Brilliant - am keen to hear how the pop-tops deal with the cold (assume it is cold where you are as I think you are from Vic)?

And thanks for the safety dave info - I had seen the website - seems like a good product. Am planning on plugging mine into a Hema navigator unit (which I'll get closer to our big trip). Did you install it yourself? If so did you run the wires under the van?

Enjoy your break away - keen to hear how the van goes for you!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Sounds like a reasonable deal Timbo, well done. Were keen on this van as well.

Your username is familiar?

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
Sounds like a reasonable deal Timbo, well done. Were keen on this van as well.

Your username is familiar?
Not sure why it is familiar? I use the same name on twitter? We looked at the Expanda you have as (or are selling) too - just didn't need the second bed off the back. Seemed to have a good lot of room inside it though!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Brilliant - am keen to hear how the pop-tops deal with the cold (assume it is cold where you are as I think you are from Vic)?

And thanks for the safety dave info - I had seen the website - seems like a good product. Am planning on plugging mine into a Hema navigator unit (which I'll get closer to our big trip). Did you install it yourself? If so did you run the wires under the van?

Enjoy your break away - keen to hear how the van goes for you!

Never really had and issue with the poptop skirt and the cold. You certainly get a lot of condensation at times. We used to towel it down if we were packing up early enough. You just have to remember not to put any books on the upper shelf as they will get wet from the condensation. The biggest source of cold in the vans is the door vent. Howls in through there. Torn up beer carton does a good job here.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yes condestation told big kids in bunks not to touch. Not much breeze last night have something to put there. A few layers of blankets and all good and warm. Roof top heating takes edge off
Dave have you found out is the Adventa true reverse cycle or does it have a heating element?

halbster

May 13, 2014
Hi Timbo - I think you did pretty well at $41K.
We ordered 17.58.3 Outback and ended up closer to $43 with extras.
One thing to consider is the Extended A Frame option. Its only $250 which is good if you want to mount a toolbox or bike rack or something on the front.
I'm new to this too, but I've been reading a lot on this forum and getting lots of info and tips... like the extended A Frame !!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong

So @davemc what's the verdict on the new Starcraft after the first trip away? Can't wait for some photos.

Reactions: achjimmy