Starcraft 2014 Starcraft 17.58.3 Outback

Hi Everyone

A great forum where I've found heaps of good information.

My wife and I are looking at the Starcraft 17.58.3 outback (we currently have a Swan Outback) with the following inclusions:
- second gas bottle
- second water tank
- outside shower and HWS
- drifter monitor
- hyland hitch (or maybe Tregg - any views?)
- TV antenna.

Is there anything else you think we should include (or not include)?

We're a bit worried about the double bed size (there's a queen size in the swan) but most of the vans we looked at seem to have a smallish bed - and who really needs to sleep (right??) :)

But have to sell the swan before I'm even allowed to dream about it!

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Mark

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Not sure if it's available as an option anymore. But extended drawbar, best $300 you will spend.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just checked this model out whilst in Melbourne.

What got me was the height of the vans interior is smaller than comparable discovery / expandas.

This in turn made all the cupboards etc smaller which made the van seem to small.

Not sure why they have done it but it means for us with the roof down we can't get around the van as we can in the disco / expanda.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
nice we have a 17-58.1 coming early June.
I thought the -3 came with a second gas bottle? the one we saw did.
The bed is bigger then the old 16-67's first models. Although I try it out first basically double sized now.
We upsized the fridge and added roof air. drifter, antenna, external TV point, extra 12v points, moved wheel to rear, dinette, ESC, dinette convertor.
As ours is the triple bunk with no shower/toilet we did the HWS and external shower so added gas and second water tank.

Didn't extend drawbar as we had limited space to put the van.

There is a part of me which thinks we should of gone the -3.. Although 4 kids rather them have beds without sharing.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Yeah noticed that.. compared to the Avan Lily we where looking at..
Just check Jayco website
Interior height 10cm's less
Travel height 25cm's.

Yes rather the Microwave at eye height.

True, just very weird!

Turn off was simply the fact we could use the van with the roof down and although its only small on paper the cupboards are all much smaller than roof height for some reason so it compounds the issue.

Love the layout though :)!

Thanks all...i should have mentioned that we're looking at the pop top version.

I was thinking about the drawbar, but limited in storage space/length and live in a very narrow street, so reversing will be a fun thing indeed!

davemc - doesn't the spare wheel come standard on the back of the van? we've been looking at buying interstate, but have looked locally and all the spares are on the back... also, what is the -3 model? i didn't know one existed?

i really don't know why Jayco put the microwave in such a silly position. I would go the a/c upgrade and move the microwave, but we are going to struggle to get it under our roller door as it is, and can't afford another cm of height!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
The bunk height is lower then the Avan as well... a lot more of a squeeze for me to get into.

@expanda So your not tempted to move on from the 17-55.. I was really thinking of the same van as yours although 4 kids we have to have three sets of toes kicking each other. :)

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Seems spare standard on the A frame well the four 17-58's I seen in the flesh all had them there... When we asked to move when we finalised they said had to check with Jayco so I showed them one on the trading post from SA only one I seen like that.
They said not normally moved as people want bike rack. We do not need it yet :(
I actually have not seen a 17-58.1 outback in the flesh as yet which we ordered..
Only one 17-58-3 outback.
Also if you search around trading post etc you find the setup of panels seems to change as well.
Here are some links to 17-58's :) not that I look much :) 38 days to go :).....
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...ARCRAFT-POPTOP/Edwardstown/SA/AdNumber=3TTP7L
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...-STARCRAFT/Port-Macquarie/NSW/AdNumber=YLK6TD
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...-STARCRAFT-POPTOP/Mildura/VIC/AdNumber=SKM65L
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...CRAFT-POPTOP/Mount-Gambier/SA/AdNumber=C366Q4

If you want some pics from the ones at the Melb show let me know.. think I put some up for someone else.
Seeing there is still no external pics on the Jayco website.

Thanks Dave - I've seen the one at Edwardstown in the flesh, so just assumed the spares were all on the rear! that said, we have twin 3 year old boys, so bikes on the back might be a good thing - although I would rather something attached to the bumper that could take all four bikes rather than the jayco one that only takes two.

Thanks for the links too - very helpful. You must be very excited about your order!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Be careful putting bikes on the bumper on the rear of the van,many will tell you stories, myself included, of losing bikes onto the road and not being able to see it for some time.

Reactions: MarkGroote

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@MarkGroote We stopped at four boys now..We always talked about four as a number although if #2 was a girl we might of stopped.. Would of made looking at caravans a lot better.
We waited to twins where almost two before we looked.. How did you go with them so little running different directions :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I would also have a look to see if any demo 17-55-5sh around. Might pick up a deal not sure if the bed is bigger?
Or we liked the Work and Play's although if height is an issue.
The New Age Bilby is a nice setup as well pretty sure its a queen, we asked they could not do a triple bunk for us so ruled it out.

i quite like the 17.55.5 except the bed is the seat - we really wanted separate beds and seating area. we only need the two bunks, but I'm sure we'll find something to do with the third!

when they were younger it was lots of fun....two playpens where the table is in the swan, and then i made separate beds in one end...and we used to also travel with a play pen! now they are older it's a little easier....only a little!