2 sleeps to go

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Picking up the 20.63 outback on Saturday arvo. Going to have a look tomorrow and give it the once over before we hand over the 50 pieces of silver on the weekend. Wish me luck that my warranty woes are small ones :)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Picking up the 20.63 outback on Saturday arvo. Going to have a look tomorrow and give it the once over before we hand over the 50 pieces of silver on the weekend. Wish me luck that my warranty woes are small ones :)
Enjoy it all.
I don't know if you've seen my regular tip for new owners. Take a lemon to suck on...helps get that silly grin off your face. :lemo:

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
One more sleep.........

Went to do a preliminary inspection today before we pick her up tomorrow. Jeez it's tall! A bit of a step up from the old Swan we had, and muuuuch longer. May be a bit of a bugger to reverse until I can get the camera installed, but the tandem axles may make it more manoeuvrable.

The guys at Caravanland couldn't have been more helpful. The PDI was happening as we we got there and the only obvious issue I could find was a couple of screws missing on the cupboard doors, which the guy fixed there and then and likewise with some of the mastic that was coming adrift on the outside. Other than that the new air conditioned gin palace on wheels is even better than I had hoped.

The mods that were done in place of where the bunks were intended to be, look good and will work much better for us. The extra storage space will be welcome when we finally glance back and see Perth in diminishing perspective through the wing mirrors as we wend our way into the exciting unknown to a better less stressful lifestyle for a couple of years.

Now I only have to get it back to Chez Nous in one piece and there is a bit of trepidation, as I have never towed anything as big or as heavy until now. No doubt It will be second nature after we drag her up to Willowbrook for a shake down overnighter next weekend. Have to go o/s on business early August and shortly after that the dragon and I will plan a couple of weeks on a slightly warmer latitude for a fortnight or so and maybe a get a dive or two in at Coral Bay. Lived here over 30 years and not yet even been to the wildflowers and it is also getting to that time of year when we can, maybe that is another possibility.

So many destinations, not enough time........Roll on tomorrow arvo.

Reactions: paulie484

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
One more sleep, not likely. You'll be awake most of the night just chomping to get into the car and hook up and bring that van home.
i remember pickup day for us, my father and I took the van away then I stopped a nearby park to check the wheel bearings for heat, all good, though I just had to do it.
Enjoy Pace.

Kazzam

Apr 13, 2013
One more sleep.........

Went to do a preliminary inspection today before we pick her up tomorrow. Jeez it's tall! A bit of a step up from the old Swan we had, and muuuuch longer. May be a bit of a bugger to reverse until I can get the camera installed, but the tandem axles may make it more manoeuvrable.

The guys at Caravanland couldn't have been more helpful. The PDI was happening as we we got there and the only obvious issue I could find was a couple of screws missing on the cupboard doors, which the guy fixed there and then and likewise with some of the mastic that was coming adrift on the outside. Other than that the new air conditioned gin palace on wheels is even better than I had hoped.

The mods that were done in place of where the bunks were intended to be, look good and will work much better for us. The extra storage space will be welcome when we finally glance back and see Perth in diminishing perspective through the wing mirrors as we wend our way into the exciting unknown to a better less stressful lifestyle for a couple of years.

Now I only have to get it back to Chez Nous in one piece and there is a bit of trepidation, as I have never towed anything as big or as heavy until now. No doubt It will be second nature after we drag her up to Willowbrook for a shake down overnighter next weekend. Have to go o/s on business early August and shortly after that the dragon and I will plan a couple of weeks on a slightly warmer latitude for a fortnight or so and maybe a get a dive or two in at Coral Bay. Lived here over 30 years and not yet even been to the wildflowers and it is also getting to that time of year when we can, maybe that is another possibility.

So many destinations, not enough time........Roll on tomorrow arvo.
sounds exciting what are you towing with??

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
We got rid of the old 4.5 litre GU Patrol before Xmas. It hadn't been a bad old bus for the past few years but was only getting around 30 litres/100km towing the Swan Outback. Even in non-towing mode it was only giving us a bit less than 25l/100 which didn't worry me so much at 50 cents /l, but as soon as the price of LPG started to go north it became ridiculous. Towing a relatively light camper trailer and having to look for a service station every 300km was a bit stupid, so we went the diesel route and bought a twin cab.

What I really wanted, being a dyed in the wool Land Rover tragic, was a Defender, but the dragon muttered something about "over my dead body" and being quite fond of her after all these years figured that being single at my stage of life was something that I perhaps did not want to be. Next best choice would have been the Hilux SR5 but Toyota aren't renowned for doing deals and I took the huff when I got the usual "that's the price,it is a Toyota, if you don't like the cost - bugger off and buy something else" statement. Toyota build a great vehicle , of that there is no doubt, but the arrogance of their dealerships made me look elsewhere out of pure stubbornness.

I kind of liked he Isuzu, but it was a bit if a truck. Neither of us liked the Triton, the Navara didn't float the boat, the Colorado couldn't make up it's mind what gear it wanted to be in and the young ginger haired kid of a Ford salesman who looked me up and down and figured that he was too busy to spare his valuable time on an old fart scruff like me who couldn't possibly afford a new Ranger, got a flea in his ear and I flatly refused to even drive one after his obvious bad judgement of the old book / cover adage.

I have an Amorok as a work supplied vehicle, but don't particularly like it all that much. We looked at the pug - ugly BT50 as a bit of a backstop and it drove magnificently, was comfortable, spacious and felt solid . We had a bit of deliberation and drove it again a week later and were still impressed so bought it. The looks grow on you after a while and I even like it's appearance that only a mother could love visage now.

Will be interesting to see what economy we get towing best part of 2.7T with the new Expanda, so looking forward to a few adventures with a relatively new vehicle pulling a brand spanking new van. Can't wait.........

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Well I got it home in one piece. Cut a couple of corners whilst trying to be too clever, but didn't whack anything which was the general idea. The BT50 handled the extra weight than the Swan without much problem and whilst you are aware it is there, there wasn't much of a struggle at all. Very impressed with the power on tap and it is way more than I need on the flat at least.

Unfortunately where I want to the 'van the overhead power to the house is still connected

Reactions: Xpandafan

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Bugger pressed the wrong button. in the words of Magnus Magnussen " I have started so I will finish" :)

Only had the underground cable buried this week and are now waiting for the SEC to connect it and take away the above ground one. Then I have to find a brick paver that will not charge me a kings's ransom and turns up each day to complete the job. That will be a feat in itself in WA, but I am forever the optimist.

So, will post some piccies in the morning and now must trawl through he modification forums to see what I do first.

Mal at Caravanland was brilliant and cannot recommend him highly enough.Did a really thorough handover and whilst I am suffering from CRAFT disease at the moment, will read the literature and am sure will sort everything as and when it is needed.

And so to bed perchance to sleep........

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Spent the afternoon yesterday disgorging the pile of bits and pieces that came from the Swan that had been languishing in the middle of the shed for a few months and found spacious homes for it all in the new 'Panda. The greedy bugger swallowed the lot with a tonne of space left over. The extra storage section that is where the bunks used to be is as empty as a labour politician's head. Probably won't and may never need the extra volume, but it's a bonus to have and is a real luxury to be able to keep the 'van tidy, as the old Swan looked like a Beirut side street after a day or so on the road.

The draw bar should be relatively easy to modify with a checker plate box as the extra dollars spent on extending it leaves a load of real estate and Jayco thoughtfully by design, but probably more by sccident, left large mounting brackets for the gas bottles that mount outboard of the frame that will be adequate enough to bolt it to without resorting to gas axes and my incontinent cocky crap welding finish artisanship. Unfortunately being sat behind a desk for too long since I was doing this stuff as a pimply youth, but even a skills bereft and somewhat corpulent, skills bereft Numpty like me could effect major changes that would look half way professional in a weekend that would tidy up and cover up the dogs breakfast look of the Jayco copper spaghetti hoops that are the gas bottle feeds to the van.

So, to cut a long story short, even though the 'panda makes the driveway looks like a North Eastern England shipyard slipway at launch time ( or at least would do if that lunatic greengrocer's daughter hadn't got her way all those years ago) I can very much confirm the theory that has oft been expounded on these pages. All that is missing is the horses halter and two sets of removed dentures to make me and the Dragon look like a champion Olympic gurning team.

Oh, and so as not to upset my pessimistic side, one of the inside lights has stopped working. Still doesn't remove the village idiot after too many pints of scrumpy look from my face.............

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Spent the afternoon yesterday disgorging the pile of bits and pieces that came from the Swan that had been languishing in the middle of the shed for a few months and found spacious homes for it all in the new 'Panda. The greedy bugger swallowed the lot with a tonne of space left over....
...Oh, and so as not to upset my pessimistic side, one of the inside lights has stopped working. Still doesn't remove the village idiot after too many pints of scrumpy look from my face...
Lovely pen (self) portrait of "Alan the Expanda Tragic". Welcome to our world. Just check that the inside dodgy light is not switched from the doorway rather than at the light itself. It's an option Jayco sometimes include when they assess the purchaser as one who would be most likely to be staggering back to the van after a pint or few and a game of darts at the local and might benefit from this safety feature.
Gloatingly pleasing to have everything packed away and space left over isn't it?:rolleyes-88: