17Triton`s Triton.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey Matt, ive just installed the 9500 version of your winch. Whats your options for that isolator ... im a touch perplexed what you do with it with massive battery cables attached direct to the battery and the massive terminals exposed without an obvious way to mount it.

I wondering if im missing something or i need to make up a bracket to stop it earthing out on something

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hey Matt, ive just installed the 9500 version of your winch. Whats your options for that isolator ... im a touch perplexed what you do with it with massive battery cables attached direct to the battery and the massive terminals exposed without an obvious way to mount it.

I wondering if im missing something or i need to make up a bracket to stop it earthing out on something
I haven't installed it yet so not sure sorry. @cruza driver has done his maybe he can help us.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I haven't installed it yet so not sure sorry. @cruza driver has done his maybe he can help us.
The issue is the trade off btw ease of use and some turd shorting the remote connector with a coin and pulling the bullbar apart, or worse, pulling out the cable, wrapping it around the car and cutting the car in half. Only sounds cool if its someone else car.

Ive looked it up on the Google machine and one simple option is a wingnut on the battery which you only connect the cable when going out bush bashing. Apparently its wise not to leave the wireless remote control units connected, because while your watching your bogged mate recovery his car .... his remote control is causing your winch to destroy your car parked behind you. A fun day out for everyone

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Rather than wingnutting the cable to the battery why not install a battery key?
41LLCaE6OTL._SY400_.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Rather than wingnutting the cable to the battery why not install a battery key?
41LLCaE6OTL._SY400_.jpg
One of those came with the winch. One of the only issues having a Mighty V6 Navara (and theres not many) is I have precious little room left around the battery with all the other crap Ive added in there. That key things got "I gunna short out on some'tun and blow up your car" written all over it. Unless Im missing something, Ill have to make a bracket to mount that switch thing so those monster terminals dont short out, cook my battery and fry my other important car'y stuff. I presuming I don't that thing just floating about under the bonnet

I presume other have mounted these things to varying degrees of success ... I need some pics I think

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
With the Triton booked in for suspension to be fitted I thought I better pull my finger out and install the winch. First job was to rotate the gearbox. I gave it some extra grease while I was at it.
image.jpg

I then had to remove the bar to fit the winch. I had some assistance from the old man during this part.
image.jpg

I had to remove the clutch lever and do a little cut and shut on it as it was hitting on the grill when engaging the gearbox.
image.jpg

All wired in and running! I have ordered a slimline number plate instead of the tilt up number plate frame.
image.jpg

Really happy with how it all went in and it's a bit of insurance when out on the tracks.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
@Crusty181 I just connected the positive straight to the battery to use and will just connect it up when I'm airing down I think.

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
One of those came with the winch. One of the only issues having a Mighty V6 Navara (and theres not many) is I have precious little room left around the battery with all the other crap Ive added in there. That key things got "I gunna short out on some'tun and blow up your car" written all over it. Unless Im missing something, Ill have to make a bracket to mount that switch thing so those monster terminals dont short out, cook my battery and fry my other important car'y stuff. I presuming I don't that thing just floating about under the bonnet

I presume other have mounted these things to varying degrees of success ... I need some pics I think
@Crusty181 an I missing something ??? isolator under bonnet then on switch inside car ????? very nice work @17triton

Reactions: Crusty181

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I had one of these isolators on the previous landcruiser's winch under the bonnet.... 1/4 turn to connect or disconnect.
winch isolator.jpg

Might have to get one for the Prado??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 an I missing something ??? isolator under bonnet then on switch inside car ????? very nice work @17triton
The winch comes with an inline "isolator key", but the terminals are exposed with no obvious (easy) way to mount the key. I went looking for a relay big enough to cope with the 300amp winch, and switch it on via a cabin switch

@Crusty181 I just connected the positive straight to the battery to use and will just connect it up when I'm airing down I think.
Thats what I done until I work a way around it.

Ive got the same bar as you .... and I can't reach the gearbox lever