14' Series Marv_Mart-Trip to the Kimberleys 2016

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks for that, not intending to go off the GRR other than pulling over to a camp site as I don't have a lot of time.
Already went to Tunnel creek in 2012, great place as is the Windjana Gorge and NP. Stayed there for 2 nights, a must stop in my opinion. Following GRR through to Derby the. Broome and back along Hwy 1 with a diversion to the Bungles before heading back to Katherine and the Stuart hwy to Adelaide.
My have to put he trip off thou til 2016 as kitchen renovations seem like they might take up all of June.....

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@Marv_mart I would check on the Bungles as there are restrictions on caravans going in there. It used to be no trailers at all, then they allowed camper trailers, and then allowed some off road vans. I am unsure of current restrictions but it would pay to find out.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
There is a van site at the entrance about 1km in where we intend to camp for two nights and do a day trip in with the BT50 4x4 and make a full day of it, been told that will work.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hey Marv I'm too trying to plan a 4-5wk trip from brisbane thru the gibb into broome. Then thru the Tanami desert into Alice then back to Brisbane. What I've learnt so far is depending on weight it has been advised to let your tyres down to around 28psi rear and 26psi front and travel slow 60km tops. Corrugation is supposed to be bad so I'm contemplating to changing my standard springs to roller rocker springs. ( 17.56.2 tandem axle ) and maybe get some foam cell shocks added. Looking into pressurising van also from what i learnt on here with a blower fan. Another tip was to remove the standard small cupboard screws and replace with longer ones dipped in pva glue or liquid nails to prevent doors falling off. i got some info from youtue on others travelling the gibb with a van also. Stop every hour to check springs, van bolts on car etc and give the shocks a chance to cool down. Fit extended diff breathers for river crossing as if you enter the water with hot diffs it will draw the water in...not good. Enjoy maybe see you there next year if funds allow or it 2017 for me.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Intend to do the trip in 2016, spending all our saved pennies on redoing our kitchen.
Actually installers just finished yesterday, now waiting for another 3 weeks for our stone top and then a further 3 weeks for our glass splash backs. Will do it in June/July next year if weather permits off course.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Well, the kitchen Reno is now complete, only took 3 months!
Old
image.jpg
New
image.jpg
image.jpg
The panorama shots make it look curved but it obviously isn't.
Really enjoying the new oven & cooktop! Made our first banana cake yesterday, yum!
Now its full steam ahead planning our trip to the Kimberley's, GRR and the Bungles next June/July.
It's been so bl@&dy cold here in Adel this winter, can't wait to get to warmer climes!

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Waiting time is nearly over! BeasT service booked in for Thursday, trip is all planned, Broome CP booked!
Only 8 days to go before we leave the cold, wet south and head off via The Alice, Katherine, Bungle Bungles and end up in Broome to enjoy the sun, warmth etc, etc. Anybody jealous yet?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Waiting time is nearly over! BeasT service booked in for Thursday, trip is all planned, Broome CP booked!
Only 8 days to go before we leave the cold, wet south and head off via The Alice, Katherine, Bungle Bungles and end up in Broome to enjoy the sun, warmth etc, etc. Anybody jealous yet?
Yes I am ...... Have a great time

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm looking forward to your most enjoyable reports and photo's.....................even though we are camped in our van for months, regular lunches on the beach keeps my envy in check...........................at the moment !!!!!!!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Look out @Marv_mart the Mexicans are only 4 hours from Broome

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
No comment. :frusty:

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Jealous???

Can't be as I've just cleaned and polished the van ready.....and can't bear the thought of having to do it again soon.

But would love to tag along via photos.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Don't worry, plenty of pics. Little Marv will be sure to stick his nose in! Thanks for the good wishes from you all.
Any body else traveling the same way over June? Would love to catch up.
Look out for this rig and call me on Two way. Usually listen on the truckies channel.
image.jpeg
Will have a basket on top with spare tyres and generator fuel.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Picking up the van from U-Store-It tomorrow morning and getting the BeasT ready today. 4 days to go!
Food boxes done, Frozen food vacuum packed and ready, mail redirected, BabyQ with its new high lid ready, gas and rain water containers all filled. :bounce:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
All packed and ready to roll!
Will make first report hopefully with some pics when we arrive in Glendambo tomorrow afternoon.
Re-read all the posts from the beginning of this thread started over 18 months ago and adjusted my list of places to visit this time round. Will stay in Kununurra for 2 nights and explore GRR from the eastern end in and out on a day trip. Road condition reports and time available will prevent a full GRR trip this time around.
Have done Winjane Gorge (must visit place), Tunnel creek, Horizontal falls on trip in 2012.
Concentrating on Bungle, Bungles and one end of GRR this time! Only have 4 weeks up our sleeves.
Broome CP and Bungle, Bungle CP are a must book in advance, done. Broome already nearly full for June & July.
If you leave it any longer, overflow park (very few facilities) will be all that is left.
Catch you all tomorrow!
Marv