14' Series Marv_Mart-Trip to the Kimberleys 2016

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
I don't think you have allowed enough time for the Kimberly's. It will take more than six days to do the Kimberly's it could take that just to do the gib and I recommend booking for broome or you may not get you might be better to fly into the bungles as it can take a day to drive in and I don't think you can take vans in there
As from 2012 you are alowed to take single axle vans into the Bungles , we were one of the first vans allowed in that place is spectacular and the campsites and anenities block all clean , there is also several taps scattered over the camping area for water . it took us approx 2 1/2 hrs to drive in and you need at least 5 days in there we only had 3

Reactions: cruza driver

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
G'day @Marv_mart I am keen to have a squiz at your spreadsheet if you don't mind sharing? Your trip sounds awesome.
Will send via message.
Formula at the moment allow me to enter fuel up and enter litres and cost and will calculate fuel efficiency etc
At the moment the formula is based on a preset fuel economy and file price to give me an idea of total fuel and aprox total cost. Just ask if you have any questions.

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Marv
Your plan for the BBs is feasible in that its a 2 to 2.5 hr drive each way from the Van Park. The description of the rd in Cruza Drivers post is pretty accurate in places its 60kph others its 10. Last August saw a few veh with stuffed tyres but also saw lots of veh going too fast for the track and heading bush as another car came around the corner. Thus stone damage to tyres. Take it easy and no issues. The road actually improves once you hit the national park proper. They do a bus trip from the CP daily but you need to book well ahead its about $250 each. Many people take this as they are told the road is in really bad condition and this is confirmed by the bus trip. Having said this a 4wd is far more comfortable than the back of a truck which is essentially what the bus is. Ive seen that you have driven Brachina Gorge, by comparison the worst part of the BB track is a freeway compared to the worst of Brachina. The biggest hazard on the track is the Britz 4wd which seem to only go one speed about 80kph. I used 4wd a half doz times each way at the creek crossings and one sandy bit but probably in reality only need to use twice once for a creek and once for sand.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Some more questions that hopefully one of my followers can answer.
1. Those hose fitting clips that people are talking about, John Guest 15mm locking clips I think they are called.
Are these the same size as the 3/8" clips or do you have to have the metric size?
Where do I get them from? Prices people paid?
2. Would like to get hold of a second spare wheel/tyre for my Expanda 14.44-5 OB before my trip.
Available? Price?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
@Marv_mart since your in Adelaide go down to cararest on Grand Junction rd , all the fittings and help will be there for you ..
also ive got some 2nd hand wheels / mags / tyres if your interested .

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
@Marv_mart if you get a price for the second spare wheel would you mind posting it up please as I am curious as well. Thanks.

Edit - I just rang Jayco and from the spares dept got a price of $180.00 for the 15" rim on the current Expanda OB and wait for it.... $310.00 for the tyre. Obviously you can get a tyre much cheaper but it would be nice to match the others.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@Marv_mart since your in Adelaide go down to cararest on Grand Junction rd , all the fittings and help will be there for you ..
also ive got some 2nd hand wheels / mags / tyres if your interested .
Very Interested, yes.
Are they 235/75R15 tyres on 6" JJ 15" rims with a -9 offset, ie standard Expanda OB rims?
If yes, how much?
Going up Lobethal way this Saturday am for my Grandsons 9th Birthday.
Cudlee Ck via Lenswood,
Marv

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@Marv_mart if you get a price for the second spare wheel would you mind posting it up please as I am curious as well. Thanks.

Edit - I just rang Jayco and from the spares dept got a price of $180.00 for the 15" rim on the current Expanda OB and wait for it.... $310.00 for the tyre. Obviously you can get a tyre much cheaper but it would be nice to match the others.
May have located a few 2nd hand ones, checking on suitability but here in Adelaide, where RU? Marv

David McG

Mar 7, 2014
Hills District Sydney
We spent about three weeks in the Kimberly last July as part of a 3 month trip (ex Sydney). We keep to the bitumen with the Expanda but venture off road for day trips. We started at the Broome end and really really enjoyed the weather, the beach and all of the shops after all the small towns. Saved up and did the Horizontal Waterfalls whole day tour from 5.30am to 5.30pm. 4WD bus/truck, seaplane at 500 feet above the swirling ocean, the falls in a fast boat, fly back - worth the price tag. Based ourselves at Fitzroy Crossing (really spacious park with grass!) for three nights giving us a day for Tunnel Creek and Winjana (a definite must) and a quieter day for Geike Gorge. Next stop the van park at the entrance to Bungle Bungles (basic park but the location!). Great day in the Bungles, will go back. They tell you its really rough, buts it corrugations so we averaged less than 30kph and still did the drive in under 2 hours. Very enjoyable drive and sceneray fantastic. Did the final kms out in the dark as we stated late (tyre repairs needed). Also did a day trip down the Tanimi to Wolfe Creek crater - interesed the kids more because of the movies. Next stop Kunnanura. Again, nice town with lots of amenities and the parks are all on the lake - quite amazing location. Did a day trip to Wyndham (Grotto, Billabong etc) and that was a good day, but I would not have stayed there. Day trip to El Questro - Emma Gorge and the thermal springs. Next time would ignore the dirt and take the van in for a night or two. Next time we would also spend a night up at Lake Argyle - the park with the infinity edge looking over the lake. You will probably need to book Broome and Kunanurra at that time of year. I assume you have found the WA Tourist websites - pretty good sites. Enjoy.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Good old Sydney town. But let me know please none the less.
@BUSH PALACE has 3 for sale here in Lobethal, 2 originals, one of which I am buying/picking up on Sat am at $80 ea, and a steel rim, with a tyre that may or may not need to be replaced, for $30, even that is worth it for the rim.
Can get both originals or you can contact him, see post #25 above.
Possibly best to contact him directly and work out some way to get it to Sydney.
Marv

Reactions: bigcol and MDS69

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
You can get the tyre cheaper, I had the "Savero" ordered in at a tyre shop and it cost me $172.
$80 for an original mag rim and tyre is an excellent price.
Hopefully will match my existing wheels but then again, only an emergency spare if I get two damaged tyres/ rims.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

My quote from Jayco,
The rim = $176.45
The tyre = $267.95
Thanks to @BUSH PALACE, picked up a 2nd Hand rim and tyre for $80!
Thanks @BUSH PALACE for the chat and helpful hints re doing the GRR.
By the way, he still has one available but not sure how you would get it to Sydney!
$490 all up for new from Jayco is a lot! It would have been $444 for me.
There must be some wheel/tyre places around Sydney that you can get what you want cheaper!
My Jayco tyre specs are;
Tyres: SP 752-01
LT 235/75R 15
110/107S M + S
Adventura A/T II

Reactions: MDS69

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks @Marv_mart. I have sent @BUSH PALACE a pm so jst waiting to near back on options. Sounds like the tyres are still n the rims. A rim is easier to get to Sydney than both a rim and tyre.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks @Marv_mart. I have sent @BUSH PALACE a pm so jst waiting to near back on options. Sounds like the tyres are still n the rims. A rim is easier to get to Sydney than both a rim and tyre.
He does run the Bridgestone tyre centre in Lobethal so may be able to do you a deal. I would even be interested in using the spare rubber if he is willing to separate them!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Have to put off this trip unil 2016, Bumma! :hurt-41:
Big kitchen reno will take 8-10 weeks and will kill most of May and June and that's if everything comes on time and tradies are available on schedule. End of July before all is possibly complete and by then going away will interfere with other prebooked plans.....

Will instead do some shorter trips over 2015 to make up for it.
Gee, being retired has made life busier than when I was working! :violin:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Gee, being retired has made life busier than when I was working! :violin:

Don't mention the "R" word, there are some on here that burr up over the hours we R people work.........................

I bought 4 x 15 x 7" steel rims for $80, to fit my 225's on, much better ride than the 6" rims I feel , they have a higher load rating as well.
Bugga about the trip though.

Reactions: Marv_mart

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Planning a trip to the Kimberleys for June-July 2015
Just finished drafting a plan for our trip.
Leave on June19, taking 6 days to get to Wyndam, 6 days in the Kimberleys, 3 days in Broome and then taking 8 days to work our way back to Adelaide.
Questions: to those who have been up there, any special sites to visit, camp sites to stay at?
Russ ck camp site, Mt Barnett camp site, Glen Rest Area (NT553) are contenders.

Big Question:
What sort of preparations do I need to do to my panda for traveling the Gibb River Road?

Nothing much to add about preparations, but I believe it not a good idea to take a van down Mitchell Plateau Road (off the Gibb River Road).
One place at Broome I have not been to, but have been told is really worth a visit, especially if your are into Birding is the Broome Bird Observatory. Below is the link.
http://broomebirdobservatory.com/visiting-broome-bird-observatory
It is many years since I visited the Bungle Bungles, but confirming what others have said they are really worth a look, as is Tunnel Creek and if you can get there Wolf Creek Meteor Crater (on top bit of Tanimi Road).
Have a great trip. I plan to get back up there one day.
Regards
Terry

Reactions: bigcol