14' Series Marv_Mart-Trip to the Kimberleys 2016

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Planning a trip to the Kimberleys for June-July 2015
Just finished drafting a plan for our trip.
Leave on June19, taking 6 days to get to Wyndam, 6 days in the Kimberleys, 3 days in Broome and then taking 8 days to work our way back to Adelaide.
Questions: to those who have been up there, any special sites to visit, camp sites to stay at?
Ross ck camp site, Mt Barnett camp site, Glen Rest Area (NT553) are contenders.

Big Question:
What sort of preparations do I need to do to my panda for traveling the Gibb River Road?

Last edited:

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
G'day @Marv_mart , I'm planning similar going to Broome in April next year leaving from sydney, sorry can't offer much info but will be watching this thread with interest..We've done a lot of travels through central aust , the gulf & nth Qld. What I usually do it try map it out in Google maps & work out rough timing based on how far I want to drive each hop, then look for places around each stop..

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Will definitely try to dust seal the van as much as possible.
a) check under neath for any holes or gaps and seal with???
b) is using stiff plastic and gaffe tape to cover door vents, HWS vents etc a satisfactory solution?
c) don't have a rear bed so issue of dust in the back is a non issue
d) stone stomper highly recommended?

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Will definitely try to dust seal the van as much as possible.
a) check under neath for any holes or gaps and seal with???
b) is using stiff plastic and gaffe tape to cover door vents, HWS vents etc a satisfactory solution?
c) don't have a rear bed so issue of dust in the back is a non issue
d) stone stomper highly recommended?
a) selleys all clear works well
b) made mine out of thinner plastic from folders and fitted with Velcro for easy removal
d) some form of stone protection to save stones hitting front of van and back of car. Remember the rear window of the car too, a core flute guard fixed with gaffa tape is sheep protection.

Reactions: bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I have also put together a spreadsheet that I have used many times before to track my trips, enter Odo readings, fuel fills and costs etc. I edit fuel costs and fill amounts as I go, the SS calculates cost per litre, l/100km, total costs, averages etc.
Also use it to plot dates so that if CP bookings néed to be made, I can do it on the run.
Use 'Docs to go' app on the iPad to edit and master my trip as I go.
If anyone is interested, I can attach a copy or message one too you.
Uses Excel 2010 or above.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
a) selleys all clear works well
b) made mine out of thinner plastic from folders and fitted with Velcro for easy removal
d) some form of stone protection to save stones hitting front of van and back of car. Remember the rear window of the car too, a core flute guard fixed with gaffa tape is sheep protection.
Is that cheap or sheep? Didn't think Sheep would end up splattering on the rear window! Lol
What about water proofing the van for the creek crossings?
Car has over 500mm of water clearance ( that's what the Mazda Brochure says anyway.
Any others with BT 50s know more?

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Marv- Same van as mine - Dust will get in thru cupboard next to toilet at back. No seal along rear at floor level.

Broome is a good place to recuperate but if that's not whats planned spend the time elsewhere. If you are doing the Bungles they have closed the rest areas near the road in so you have little option but to use the camp area on the way in about 2k off the highway. Allow 2 nights which will give you a full day to see the BBs. Its about a 2 hr drive in from the camp area.

Whats the attraction at Wyndham. Other than the Grotto- Kununurra is a better place to resupply

The NPWS camp area at Windjana Gorge looked reasonable and its only then a short diversion to tunnel creek.

Broome Caravan park can be noisey on Friday and Saturday nights due to the speedway being next door. If you can book Broome well in advance as it tends to get busy and the better spots are booked out.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Marv- Same van as mine - Dust will get in thru cupboard next to toilet at back. No seal along rear at floor level.

Broome is a good place to recuperate but if that's not whats planned spend the time elsewhere. If you are doing the Bungles they have closed the rest areas near the road in so you have little option but to use the camp area on the way in about 2k off the highway. Allow 2 nights which will give you a full day to see the BBs. Its about a 2 hr drive in from the camp area.

Whats the attraction at Wyndham. Other than the Grotto- Kununurra is a better place to resupply

The NPWS camp area at Windjana Gorge looked reasonable and its only then a short diversion to tunnel creek.

Broome Caravan park can be noisey on Friday and Saturday nights due to the speedway being next door. If you can book Broome well in advance as it tends to get busy and the better spots are booked out.
Hi @Griffo ,
We like Broome, have been there several times before so like it as a place to recuperate especially Cable Beach.
Need to research about the Bungles, not sure on that one this trip but do want to do it.
Wyndham, never been there so want to at least take a peak and do a recuperate after trip from Katherine before embarking on the Gibb River Rd. Decided not to stay in Kununurra this time round but go straight through to Wyndham. Grotto? Tell me more!
Kununurra - stayed there when we did our big half circle of Oz up the middle and then west all the way around on the A1 back in 2012. (Adelaide, a Kings canyon, Alice Springs gorges, Mataranka, Katherine's Gorge, Tunnel Ck, Windjana Gorge, Broome, Coral Bay, Geraldton (#1 son lives there), West coast, Fremantle, Albany, Esperance, Kalgoolie, the Bight, Coffin bay, Pt Lincoln over 7 weeks and 17,500 km)
We did book Broome (Cable Beach CP) well in advance last time and thoroughly enjoyed the R & R and visiting attractions around Broome!
We absolutely loved Windjana gorge, came in from the Fitzroy Crossing end, pretty rough that way in, stayed at the WG for 2 nights before heading off to Derby and Broome. Would highly recommend this to others, a must stay and see!

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
@Marv_mart your going to need more time , once you get up there there is so much to see and do . We did it a couple of years ago in 5 weeks and that was pushing it if you can find my trip report that covers the trip .

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We were there 2 years ago (for July school holidays then back again for sept holidays). Cable beach CP is wonderful to stay in, there is a caravan park after the petrol station on the way to Broome -20km east I think ( where the hwy meets at a T section) . They don't have much in the way of facilities, but was quiet and the toilets, etc were very clean and good.
Wyndham was a very easy day trip from Kununurra. (Wouldn't stay in Wyndham unless absolutely necessary, not much there, but the 5rivers look out was impressive).
An alternative to el Questro is home valley station. It has a pool for the kids......which was great, clean and hot showers, no mozzies and has a campground if you want away from the main area. We did day trips to ElQuestro to visit Emma gorge and zebedee springs.(be aware, zebedee is only open in the mornings

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Oops pressed wrong button.
Was about to say, zebedee is only open in the mornings to the general public and closes about 11 or 12 for the owners private usage, so get there early ( also to get a parking area as it gets full quick)
Not sure how far south you heading, but Barn Hill is a nice station to stay at. Has power, generator or camping area.
Fitzroy crossing CP had great facilities also. Cold pool but nice on a hot day.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Bungle, bungles a definite on the return trip from Broome. Looks like Kununnurra is in and Wyndam possibly out or just a short O/N visit. Thanks for tips so far.
El Questro and Emma also seem worth a visit.
Means we may have an extra day on the GR road.
Any other hints, tips welcome!

Last edited:

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Leave Kunanurra early in the morning and head to Wyndam. Its about an hour or so. Once you turn off the highway-(actually you go straight ahead and the highway turn s left) towards wyndam the Grotto is about 20 or so ks along on the left. Its a short diversion of your route. THe Grotto is a natural gorge where the river has gouged out a canyon about 50 or so m deep with pretty sheer sides. There is a track down to the bottom, steep and lots of steps but worth the effort. Overall takes about an hour of the main track to do the lot. 5 Rivers lookout at wyndam is worth the trip but not with the van attached. Rusty shed café in town is good for a light meal. Head back towards K but then turn right onto the GRR with el Questro onight (that is if your going to do the GRR) Otherwise there are a bunch of rest areas along the highway heading to Broome. Its a longish day but do able. Alternative is a day trip from K its an easy run.

THe road from Derby ( southern end of the GRR) is a much better road to windjana as distinct from coming in from Fitzroy.

Take a drive up to Cape Leveque from Broome about 2.5 hrs each way. Spectacular beaches. We stayed onight(leaving van in Broome) but even the cheap accom is expensive.

Gibson

Feb 10, 2014
West australia
I don't think you have allowed enough time for the Kimberly's. It will take more than six days to do the Kimberly's it could take that just to do the gib and I recommend booking for broome or you may not get you might be better to fly into the bungles as it can take a day to drive in and I don't think you can take vans in there

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I don't think you have allowed enough time for the Kimberly's. It will take more than six days to do the Kimberly's it could take that just to do the gib and I recommend booking for broome or you may not get you might be better to fly into the bungles as it can take a day to drive in and I don't think you can take vans in there
We don't have the time to do more and SWMBO wants to stick to the GRR, find suitable free camps on-route and the do some easy 4WD to see the sites. So Kununnurra, Broome via GRR over 5/6 days, 3 days in Broome and then return via Fitzoy Crossing and the BBs and Kununurra to get back to Adelaide all over about 4 weeks, don't have any more time than that.
The Bungle Bungles have a camp/caravan site off the road a few km that we intend to use on the return trip from Broome for 2 nights and spend the day on the track to the BBs.