Ligedy's 17.56-2 OB

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
UOTE="Ligedy, post: 57176, member: 2338"]3rd Water Tank Install.
Piggy-backed the plumbing (filler and breather hoses) off the second tank and put in ball valves so water can balanced (and monitored using the existing RV control panel wiring) between the two tanks, or shut off when not needing to cart around extra water.

View attachment 18230 View attachment 18231 View attachment 18232 View attachment 18233 View attachment 18234 View attachment 18235[/QUOTE]
I am wanting to fit a third tank as well. I noticed the chassis cross braces are reversed where the standard tanks are fitted. How did you get the tank to fit up tight to the floor like the standard tanks are fitted? or have you dropped it a fraction to accommodate for the
steel cross sections.

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Followed your van mods with great interest. I am picking up a new 14.4.4 in a couple of weeks. Can I ask a couple of questions on your van regarding Jayco's standard wiring to their 12 pin plug. They are wiring the Esc to pin 2 on my van. Have you also done this for your Esc? Have you wired it direct to a circuit breaker or have you also gone through a solenoid wired to the ignition? Did jayco wire the battery and fridge back to their 12 pin plug and do you know off hand what pins they used for each. If they did was this in 6mm wire? If any one else has info on Jayco's recent wiring protocols it would be appreciated.
heres some info for you.
brake_controller.png

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
@Hubble80. You can get all the bits including tank, straps, tinplate guard and hoses from the dealer. I have looked around and can get it all through Camec heaps cheaper. I also want to connect the third tank up to the drifter control panel so im after the senders as well but cant find anywhere that sells them separately.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
@Hubble80. You can get all the bits including tank, straps, tinplate guard and hoses from the dealer. I have looked around and can get it all through Camec heaps cheaper. I also want to connect the third tank up to the drifter control panel so im after the senders as well but cant find anywhere that sells them separately.
I think i have a set laying around at work, will let you know after monday

Reactions: blacky and Adam79

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi @Adam79, Yeah I dropped the tank a bit – I used about 4 pieces of 16 x 12o x 400mm ‘ish long pine, painted then sika’d to the floor above the tank (to align between the moulded baffles). I didn’t need to drop it any lower than that because the tanks have tapering sides walls so it clears the cross braces and fitted up nice and tight and neatly.

@Hubble80, Third tank install was fiddly but easy enough to DIY (with a bit of swearing and carrying on). Not worth paying someone to do it because it’s not a straight forward bolt up…
I had new brackets made up at Hazell Sheet Metal in Mackay (around $20 from memory) - buying standard ones from camec or Jayco won’t work as they are too short with the extra drop...
I also had to remove the 2nd tank brackets and shorten the end tabs where the bolt holes are otherwise the protrude too far and interfere with the new tank fit up. I can vaguely remember redrilling bolt holes (might have been for the third tank though), but in the end it was easier to bolt up the 2nd tank with new 3rd tank brackets in place and done up - then as the brackets are thin they bend easily out of the way to slide the 3rd tank in and tighten up the final row of bolts (just means if you ever need to get the 2nd tank out the 3rd has to come out first). Another trap for new players is to watch where you drill the new bolt holts in the metal cross braces – the punched out sections have rolled lips - which interfere with bolt head and getting a spanner on the bolts… if you try install yourself you’ll understand what I mean…

Jayco Mackay had the tanks and guard in stock and were cheaper than online + delivery. Hoses and fittings off the shelf from the big green Bunnings shed or Dowden’s irrigation.

As for third tank wired into drifter panel – I gave up on that when I looked at into get the wiring from the floor to the drifter panel up near the microwave. The senders and wiring are same as the standard water level monitor setup (i.e. Jayco had them on the shelf). TTBRIDGE did a ripper write up on it here http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drifter-control-panel-complete-install.3343/

To draw water from the 3rd tank it has to be on with the 2nd tank and thus both tanks are equalised… and both tanks monitored on the drifter panel as one tank (it works well).

Cheers, Ligedy

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam79

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Likewise - they look the goods...both the Wheel covers & gas bottle covers - if they're a reasonable price and it saves trying to get someone in Brisvegas to measure and quote could be very interested..
Did you get the extended drawbar??? - without going out and measuring mine, I also like your toolbox, just unsure of space...
cheers
Andrew

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
if you would like to contact me privately i have a set of tank sensors

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Likewise - they look the goods...both the Wheel covers & gas bottle covers - if they're a reasonable price and it saves trying to get someone in Brisvegas to measure and quote could be very interested.

Hi @Dog House - My mate did a custom fit up for me and didn't keep the measurements... I checked again and he's not keen on doing off paper or over the phone as things don't always work out the best that way when relying on others' measurements (he's a perfectionist and prefers to have goods on hand to fit up). ... also my setup is slightly different from standard (i.e. 16" wheels + simplicity and additional brace on gas bottle holders).

We are planning on designing and making a few mulit-fit gas bottle covers but just need to find the time to catch up and get is sorted.

Did you get the extended drawbar??? - without going out and measuring mine, I also like your toolbox, just unsure of space...
cheers
Andrew
Yep - extended draw bar with gas bottles spare wheel relocated to fit better...

Reactions: Dog House

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Hi @Dog House - My mate did a custom fit up for me and didn't keep the measurements... I checked again and he's not keen on doing off paper or over the phone as things don't always work out the best that way when relying on others' measurements (he's a perfectionist and prefers to have goods on hand to fit up). ... also my setup is slightly different from standard (i.e. 16" wheels + simplicity and additional brace on gas bottle holders).

We are planning on designing and making a few mulit-fit gas bottle covers but just need to find the time to catch up and get is sorted.

Yep - extended draw bar with gas bottles spare wheel relocated to fit better...

Thanks Anyway,
you've got some really neat mods there.... I kinda wish I had the extended drawbar now - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'll be watching with interest for further mods and ideas

Cheers
Andrew

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi Ligedy, love your setup.
If you don't me asking, is your inverter the IP2000 intelliwave with the Auto AC switch?
Cheers

Thanks @All4boefockers. Yeah that's the one - Projecta IP2000. I haven't wired it direct to the AC yet... it was too hard to get (neatly) into the wall cavity without damaging panels or other concealed cables. It'll get around to it one day but in the mean time the remote panel on/off switch is to easy.

Ligedy

Apr 26, 2014
Jamestown, SA
Excellent @Ligedy. We have been looking at hardwiring either the IP2000 or one of the Victron MultiPass's to our coming expanda.
We always take of our electrical toys away (meat slicer, electric grater, ninja slicer, and espresso machine).

Reactions: relgate

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Spare wheel relocation completed using landcruiser wheel winch. Old wheel cradle removed.

. View attachment 18236 View attachment 18237 View attachment 18238 View attachment 18239 View attachment 18240 View attachment 18241

Hi Ligedy,
Awesome setup there....
I have a question in relation to the spare wheel mount and hoping that you could give me some tips. When you welded the mounting gig to the frame, did you remove the battery cables? did you remove all of them (red and black)? and any other things to watch out for before start welding?

cheers TRAKADU

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
thanks @TRAKADU

… watch out for a boilermaker ;) then when you see a one, get them to do it for ya. I can’t weld all that flash and have plenty of mates that can, so I find it easier to line them up to do the welding after prepping it all up and supplying the beers.

My concern was welding around the two SHS cross beams right up under the floor ply. Best to get good peno first go because you don’t want to be grinding or welding any more than you have to directly under the floor ply – and there’s a lot of weight and forces to come when the wheel and everything is hanging off them and bouncing down the road.

Standard - I always disconnect the earth/negative cable from the battery (for the an extra 2 minute job it could save you big $’s if something happens to get fried), earth lead closest to the weld/work area as possible and don't be rude off the gas bottles whilst welding or grinding.

Keep an eye on the flooring, cables and anything else that will burn – keep watch for a good amount of time after your finished – and have a fire extinguisher or a hose ready to go (I’ve had a few laughs over the years watching clowns running around looking for extinguishers or hoses they knew they had somewhere… (pity the damage wouldn’t have been as bad if the hose wasn't tangle and already turned on or if they just stopped squeezing the extinguisher handle so hard so they could get the pin out…).

Have fun welding. Nice van you’ve got spec’d up.

Cheers, Ligedy