Ligedy's 17.56-2 OB

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I have been thinking of doing the same to my 16.49.
Can I ask how you lower it. I mean do you use the original cruiser tool and from which side of the van.

I use the cruiser key bit in a 1/2" drive socket + 250mm extension + cordless rattle gun (which I use for drop jacks and changing wheels...).
There is plenty of space between the wheel winch and chassis. I didn't want to drill thru the chassis as I don't plan on having to use the spare all that often. The ratchet is also on standby if rattle gun happens to be flat.

Winch is operated from the kerb side of the van - I reckon it's safer this way in case you can't get well clear of the road.

For those looking to buy second hand cruiser winches - Keep in mind the later model ones are keyed/tooled differently so you need the matching winch and key.

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
I use the cruiser key bit in a 1/2" drive socket + 250mm extension + cordless rattle gun (which I use for drop jacks and changing wheels...).
There is plenty of space between the wheel winch and chassis. I didn't want to drill thru the chassis as I don't plan on having to use the spare all that often. The ratchet is also on standby if rattle gun happens to be flat.

Winch is operated from the kerb side of the van - I reckon it's safer this way in case you can't get well clear of the road.

For those looking to buy second hand cruiser winches - Keep in mind the later model ones are keyed/tooled differently so you need the matching winch and key.
Thanks for that. I will look for an earlier model one.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Okay @Ligedy ... Spill the beans - where did you get the graphic from? My wife wants something similar (maybe not quite so big) as we are always calling our van the baby Panda!

Also I wish my battery compartment was that neat - mine is a bloody nightmare at the moment. I am just about to redo the wiring.

Looks great!

BJ

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Okay @Ligedy ... Spill the beans - where did you get the graphic from? My wife wants something similar (maybe not quite so big) as we are always calling our van the baby Panda!

If I told you... I'd have to go all kung fu on yo'ass :D

I just downloaded an image off the net and photoshopped it to get the image size and shadow to fit the scale of the van decals. This one is UV stabilised vehicle wrap (vinyl I think) like they use on car advertising graphics.

Graphix shops can rescale to any size when printing. I did get questioned about what they were being used for... due to copy right... so I won't post the business name.

PM me if you want further details and the image file.

Cheers BJ

Ligedy.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Stereo upgrade makes the audio sound SOOO much better than the factory 25W Magnadyne suckers.

5-1/4" Alpines fitted straight into the existing speaker holes with no further cutting or screw holes required.

6" Fusion Marine speakers needed some cutting to fit as they are more like 7" speakers and need a 5" min hole cut out... watch out for the vertical structural posts in the wall when choosing which side of the existing speaker hole to enlarge... an air operated saw made very light work of the chequer plate and fibreglass wall panel.

The Bluetooth connection works well when outside the van - it tested really well when parked up at home being able to walk around all area under the awning and far side of the van without loosing connection but found there was more interference when free camping (I'm guessing it had to do with gas fridge, 12v Engel and other appliance causing more interference - still beats going inside to skip songs...).

IMG_6263.JPG IMG_6265.JPG IMG_6268.JPG IMG_6269.JPG IMG_6270.JPG

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
Followed your van mods with great interest. I am picking up a new 14.4.4 in a couple of weeks. Can I ask a couple of questions on your van regarding Jayco's standard wiring to their 12 pin plug. They are wiring the Esc to pin 2 on my van. Have you also done this for your Esc? Have you wired it direct to a circuit breaker or have you also gone through a solenoid wired to the ignition? Did jayco wire the battery and fridge back to their 12 pin plug and do you know off hand what pins they used for each. If they did was this in 6mm wire? If any one else has info on Jayco's recent wiring protocols it would be appreciated.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Followed your van mods with great interest.
Cheers
I am picking up a new 14.4.4 in a couple of weeks.
Awesome!!!
They are wiring the Esc to pin 2 on my van.
That’s fine. Pin 2 is the reverse signal pin but as vans and trailers don’t have reverse lights it’s a spare. You’ll most likely find your car’s reverse lights aren’t wired to pin 2 on the socket, thus it’s a good pin to use for accessories requiring a constant power feed.
Have you also done this for your Esc?
No. when I wired my vehicle up (pre ESC) Pin 2 was only being used a low current draw power feed switched by the ignition so the cable I used was not rated for 30amp.
Have you wired it direct to a circuit breaker or have you also gone through a solenoid wired to the ignition?
I went direct to the battery via a circuit breaker as it ties in with my existing Anderson plug power circuit. ALKO specify ESC must have the power supply for the ESC wired directly to the battery and a 30A fuse or circuit breaker fitted. You will get varying accounts from ESC installers/retailers….

I previously wired in an Anderson plug with a 60amp circuit breaker direct to the battery and couldn’t be arsed running a new dedicated power feed or switched power supply just for the ESC. Problem is 60Amp is too high if there is a fault and I don’t want to fry the ESC module. I fixed this by making a 20cm double adaptor lead (one Anderson plug into two, with the 2nd plug wired with inline 30amp fuse). I’ll post a photo of the lead on the weekend.

Doing this enables me to physically disconnect the ESC power should it be triggered inadvertently when driving off road or if the module ever plays up… being wired direct to the battery with a circuit breaker, same as the brake controller, if there is a major meltdown with the tug i.e. engine/ignition failure while on the move, the manual brake switch and ESC will still function. I hope…

Did Jayco wire the battery and fridge back to their 12 pin plug and do you know off hand what pins they used for each.
Not on mine, I opted for the Anderson plug to power the fridge from the factory then rewired it when I got it home…. If it was to go to the 12 pin plug, the fridge would be powered to Pin 9/Pink wire & Pin 10/White wire – check out pages 43-44 from the Jayco owner’s manual attached for standard wiring. I can’t recall where the trickle charge for the battery is wired to as it’s redundant on mine (the setek units only trickle charge when connected to 12v from your car).

I replaced my 12 pin with a 7 pin plug on day one as I have an Anderson plug to charge the batteries which in turn run the fridge.
If they did was this in 6mm wire?
yeah I’m pretty sure it’s only 6mm dia (4.6mm2). Can check this weekend if no one else gets back to you.

Attachments

• Jayco_Owners_Handbook.pdf
    693.2 KB · Views: 5,835
  • Pages from AL-KO_ESC_User_Manual_V10LR.pdf
    240 KB · Views: 324

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
I like the idea of being to isolate the ESC. I have a new vehicle and got the dealer to run a 6mm cable back to the 12 pin for eventual use for what ever. Wired direct to the battery through a 30a circuit breaker. Already that one permanently live pin on the plug is green and corroded compared to the others. After 2 months. Will arrange an isolator of some sort on it.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I used a manual reset circuit breaker in so I can break the circuit when not touring...

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Wheels ain't goin nowhere...

Security chain for storing at home and loose wheel nut indicators for touring.

View attachment 19254

Safety Nuts!! I wish I had of been the person who came up with those, we have been charged anything up to $8 Ea for those. Bloody rip off for a 5c item. Gotta love mining!!

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Safety Nuts!! I wish I had of been the person who came up with those, we have been charged anything up to $8 Ea for those. Bloody rip off for a 5c item. Gotta love mining!!

Yeeeup... Wish I came up with them too. It's a simple idea and very cheap to make product that's sure to be making someone plenty of money... Can't say I've ever had a wheel nut come loose either - must be because I do the job properly first time :)

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Earlier mod photos... curtains to the double bunks on my 17.56-2...

Installed by Jayco Mackay with tracks and materials (same as the curtains) sourced from by the Jayco factory. On the first attempt the factory made the curtains to the incorrect sizes so the dealer replaced the material and had a local seamstress knock them up. My only improvement is the curtain track for the bottom bed could have been one or two cm longer (that's my fault as I was with the dealer when double checking the measurements for the install). The curtains stop the light/work great but also stops the air circulation to the bunk beds so 12V fans for the bunks are next on the mod list.

LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (1).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (2).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (3).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (4).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (5).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (6).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (7).JPG LL 17.52-2OB Curtains (8).JPG

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
@Ligedy that looks great do they offer that option from the factory new?
No, I don't so CD but in a roundabout kind of way they did...
Apparently the factory wouldn't supply and fit with the new van, but would make the curtains to the dealers specs as a spare parts order for fitting by the dealer. Jayco Mackay sorted had it all sorted by hand over.

Reactions: cruza driver