Canopy - What have you fitted?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK, as I embark on the search for a canopy for the Rock Truck, I thought I might put the question to the great Expandas Downunder Collective as to what canopy that have fitted to their rig(s) past and present, and their thoughts review of them. So, what's important?
  • Fit quality?
  • Finish quality?
  • Price/Value for money?
  • Load capacity?
  • Window type?
  • Locking mechanism?
  • Steel/Fibreglass?
In the end, any kind of feedback would be great, and I reckon this thread could become a bit of an archive of information.

Naturally, like every thread on EDU, this thread would be far better with pics... so if you have them, post them... :)

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have an Isuzu D Max and fitted an ARB canopy. We had it colour coded to the car and chose lift up windows rather than sliders to give us greater access to the insides. Cost around $3000 painted & installed. Windows are very dark so difficult to see what is inside. Common locks to all windows. Gas strutts are easy to open & close. You can have roof racks intalled, we didn't, you can also get a new model that now operates with your central locking. This wasn't available when we bought ours.Overall, very happy with ours, it had its first use this weekend.
isuzuARB.JPG

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
image.jpg
We have ARB Smooth finish colour coded with lift up windows and roof rack , which is supported from a internal frame , And are happy with it .
We re glad we bought a brand that's sold around Aust as we smashed the rear window in the flinders Rangers and rang ARB and they arranged their Elizabeth store to have a replacement the next morning which if we bought some small local shop one off brand I wouldn't have been able to get it fixed till we got back to Melbourne

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Like the others I have the smooth ARB which you have seen and I am more than happy with. Lift up windows are great for access. Central locking would be great but at what cost? I screwed them down to $2300 when I bought the car but they are a lot dearer after purchase. No roofrack on mine but it is on the wishlist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smergen

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Snugtop from USA. Nice lines (for a canopy) and Fibreglass, color coded, large overhang with big rubber mount gasket. Carpet lined, roof LED, lift up windows with key alike double locking catches (like car doors). Very dark glass windows. Twin locks with single central window handle. Intergrated roof bars which can attach racks, and those racks line up with cabin roof racks (if fitted). Forward window folds inwards to wash cars back window.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ive got a flexiglass sport. Lift up sides, colour coded, carpet ceiling, led light and the best bit: central locking (i would never go back!) was cheap too. Has rails on roof. Down side is that it has no weight rating. Flexiglass anecdotally say 100kg but wont put it in writing.
If the new ARB canopy was available at the time i would have looked closely at it. Just costs a lot more but better weight holding capacity.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Mine is an Aeroklass with lift up windows, one key fits all and rear window is a slam down to latch. Front window drops down for cleaning but dust sealing is poor. It has roof racks, made by Rhino Racks, rated at 80 kgs and is colour coded to the truck. Current price (I believe without the roof racks) is about $3600 but I got it as a show special for $3200. It has nice lines and follows the dual cab roof line with a sporty look but I find the side windows a bit small due to the lower roof line.
DSC_8873 1.jpg DSC_8875 1.jpg DSC_8877.JPG

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Have an alpha one from http://www.utecanopies.com.au/ really great quality, real thick fibreglass, stainless steel hinges. We got the sliding inside window as our GLX-R has the rear window that comes down. Dog can stick it's head in that way :)
Fast ordering, fast fitting and was only about $2,600 fitted colour matched. Has not let any water in at all even with heavy rain and the odd pressure clean. Very happy with it.
Took a few hours to fit, comes with vinyl roof lining, tinted windows, sliding or lift up or whatever you want, has led light wired up for you when fited as well.
canopy.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Some really great posts in here, and really appreciate the info/pics/feedback given. I've sent a bunch of enquiries off to manufacturers so we'll see what information we get back over the next few days.

Keep the posts coming so this thread can be used for future reference for others looking! :)

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Ive got a flexiglass sport. Lift up sides, colour coded, carpet ceiling, led light and the best bit: central locking (i would never go back!) was cheap too. Has rails on roof. Down side is that it has no weight rating. Flexiglass anecdotally say 100kg but wont put it in writing.
Agree - have Flexiglass Sport on my Navara. Best bit is central locking to the car - this was the main reason for deciding on this one. Also looks less tradesman like than some other brands. Lift up side windows for easy access; led internal light ( has recently stopped working when the rear door is opened); carpeted internal roof; spoiler for 'sporty' look; high level brake light; rear window demister connected to the cars rear window ; no cost option for sliding front window to improve ventilation for my dog whilst not compromising security etc; and roof rails - use these fairly often carrying long loads - as others have said, not sure about 100kg rating but I've certainly had excess of 50kg across the whole roof. Would buy this one again.