Electrical Wifi on the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In addition to my earlier @Smergen , this site https://oztowers.com.au/ will show you how far away a tower is, what type of service and what Telco's are available. Just click on the search button, it also has a map so you can see where the things are, handy to know in advance if any signal available.
Usually if the tower is 7km or more away, for a good Broadband signal then an external aerial is best, though at the moment I'm using my phone sitting on the windowsill as I want to burn some of it's data up and the tower is about 9k away so things are a bit slow and i'm lazy to put aerial up.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
In addition to my earlier @Smergen , this site https://oztowers.com.au/ will show you how far away a tower is, what type of service and what Telco's are available. Just click on the search button, it also has a map so you can see where the things are, handy to know in advance if any signal available.
Usually if the tower is 7km or more away, for a good Broadband signal then an external aerial is best, though at the moment I'm using my phone sitting on the windowsill as I want to burn some of it's data up and the tower is about 9k away so things are a bit slow and i'm lazy to put aerial up.

Thanks @Drover ....that's really helpful and I didn't know this info was available.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bit of digging up the past.........................a revisit.

I use a Nighthawk from Telstra for at home and on the road internet, we don't have landline. The latsest offering which I have is 50gb for $50, the best bit being when I burn the 50 Gb up it slows to 1.5mbps, they don't slug me $10 for 1 Gb since we stream Netflix or Foxtel it can be easy to burn thru the data but I have found the streaming when its slowed down has no effect on the stream, the movie just runs smoothly which was a surprise.

Our Monbiles are pre paid, $30 for free calls/text and 10 Gb of data which if not used gets banked up to a bank of 200 Gb a very good option as I never run out of data and when it gets too close to the magic 200 Gb just turn it into a Hotspot and watch a few movies etc....... Last time I checked it beat the plans by miles..

Just a big pain if you have to ring them up as the usual off shore operator speaking gibberish will be encountered.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I only have the movie channel, otherwise I may as well dump the TVs, FTA is rubbish.