Electrical Wifi on the road

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
All,

As we gear up for the Big Trip, I was wondering what kind of wifi solutions people have for staying in touch with the outside world when the reception permits?

We're not looking to download or stream shows, just the occasional skype to home/school, update the blog, keep in touch with the traffic jams on the Monash Fwy, that kind of thing.

At the moment, we were just going to hotspot the phone onto the tablets and PCs, but were wondering if there were any other cool gadgets/setups out there that provide good bang for your buck.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
All,

As we gear up for the Big Trip, I was wondering what kind of wifi solutions people have for staying in touch with the outside world when the reception permits?

We're not looking to download or stream shows, just the occasional skype to home/school, update the blog, keep in touch with the traffic jams on the Monash Fwy, that kind of thing.

At the moment, we were just going to hotspot the phone onto the tablets and PCs, but were wondering if there were any other cool gadgets/setups out there that provide good bang for your buck.
We were running a Telstra pocket wifi, but now have good data plans on our phones so just tether the laptop etc to one of the iphones. Simpler, and only need 1 plan

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have the Telstra one also, thought mine is an earlier model.
Actually work better than the home fixed line at times.
Though if you chose to hot spot off your phone, make sure you have the appropriate data packs with your service otherwise you might get a nasty surprise.

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
I'm in the "use the phone group". But I guess I should pay attention to this for later in life when work isn't paying for the data. One of the very few perks of the requirement to be contactable. Hoping by then I won't need phone for WiFi

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since we don't have a landline anyway we use one of these Telstra jobs, $55/mth for 11Gb, can connect up 15 devices to it if needed and all we do is unplug from house and plug into Big Mal, if turned on can use it in the car otherwise just use our phones which if we get low on data we use as hotspots and my phone will plug into the aerial also.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd_x2K-UKiCd72WOYUplcMgQRgtj5SmoXlNaTxFYvvxw_dRfhVfw.jpgIt can plug into an external aerial.......images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ53jU8qrLizlp4quuo8-c9Hwyxl0jwA9NUy186HmrDicWC8_r.pngThis is what we use with Big Mal and gives a good all round improvement of signal, no need to zero in or anything. A car mobile aerial is the same thing, so it would plug into the car and still work in van.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1K6luNRPNA2AwfqQh6eZEQkVgPmiOwxSpzrNkegaV_HM97ZvDyVPv3UY.jpgon the house we use a Yagi similar to this which I built, old place I built a dish array but not needed at new place.........

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'm in the "use the phone group". But I guess I should pay attention to this for later in life when work isn't paying for the data. One of the very few perks of the requirement to be contactable. Hoping by then I won't need phone for WiFi
Yep work helps me out with data as well

Reactions: bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I also use the Telstra prepaid 4gx wifi mobile broadband for the kids to connect to. The wife and I use the data on our phones

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We used our phones as we have 16gb a month shared between us on the plan.
Although out of town you will get nothing even on Telstra, was always funny your phone would beep and you get text/emails then by the time you opened them you be through and no internet again :)

For the best coverage you need a Telstra Blu Tick phone to get the signal as it seems to have nothing to do with some great Telstra innovation but an upgrade of an old system/freq which gives better range bt you need a handset that will pick it up....thusly the BLUE TICK .........may work at Longreach but won't at Winton, so great excuse for new handset.....waterproof and comes with an aerial socket, magic.
Text messages need very little sig, vox needs a bit more and data needs heaps also out west not all sigs were 3G though now that 2G has shut down should more drop outs.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... thanks everyone for their input. Hopefully more can chime in here over time and add to it as tech develops. I saw that unit @Bellbirdweb on the Telstra website and thought it looked pretty cool.

For now I think I'll stick to the hotspotting our two phones as between us I think we'll have around 18GB. Unlikely that we'll get near that particularly as reception is limited.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I'm like @mbr37746 , I just use the hot spot on the phone if I want the internet on the Lappy or Tablet

when I'm away, dont do a lot on the phone anyway, so all good

it is interesting to learn all this stuff though guys, thank you

Reactions: Smergen and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We run the same unit as @Drover (Although older and only 4G) with a booster aerial mounted on the wineguard post.
Also use the telstra 365 day prepaid option...... Phones are available for hot spotting if required!