Electrical Wifi in Caravan

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use my phone for data kids would gooble it up if I let them. Just upgraded to a new plan 16gb a month between Sarah and I to waste shared.
A wifi hard drive in the car although need to work out something better. The drive we have when you plug it into the TV the WIFI goes off.
So your got one or the other when you stop and camping.
Have looked at getting a router and adding a drive to it although then I assume would need to add something to the 12v TV like a WD Live or the like?
Interesting Dave. I have a WD Live ..... are we saying that it might be able to access the router cloud HD and stream straight to the TV ?????

Jump in any time

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
no the normal TV's I have Sphere and Palsonic are not Smart TV. So if I want to stream from a wifi I will have to add something to them.
Hence the WD live which is another thing? Maybe i just have a few portable drives with the same crap on them. Might be a cheaper option I have 4-5 here somewhere ranging from 80gig up.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
no the normal TV's I have Sphere and Palsonic are not Smart TV. So if I want to stream from a wifi I will have to add something to them.
Hence the WD live which is another thing? Maybe i just have a few portable drives with the same crap on them. Might be a cheaper option I have 4-5 here somewhere ranging from 80gig up.
Yes ... but I already have the WD Live. If the Cruskett can still access the HD on his iPad via the router and we can access the HD on the TV via the WD Live everyone is happy??

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
To give an idea of what can be done - I've added a diagram of the "Van Network". The raspberry Pi runs Kodi and is controlled through "CEC" using the TV Remote. If that fails I can always use the Kodi Remote app on an iDevice or Android.

Van Network.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
The design philosophy for the project was that all devices have to be able to run on 12 volt or less with minimal current so it can be used free camping. And not over tax the solar and batteries...

Next to add an Ethernet point on the draw bar so I can plug in the pi outside and into the 12volt projector :)

Reactions: Crusty181

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Also I started work on a flashable firmware for the 703N and mr3020 tplink devices to just share what ever hdd is plugged into them (so long as its formatted as ntfs or fat32).

If there's enough interest I'll get it working.. If not I'll just post it on the blog as an idea for later lol

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ok. Streaming video, music pics and whatever else takes your fancy. Fully tested and relatively simple to setup, and simple operate via a dedicated free smart phone App ...... here goes

An EPUB Wireless HD access device $20 from eBay, and any generic hard drive
20151123_091106.jpg
I had it set up in the van, plugged into a 12v point, and the Cruskett was able to log into it on his iPad (or Android ablet) from the car and watch movies on the way to our recent Vic forum meet. He also used it to watch movies and listen to music in bed at the caravan park. The EPUB can support up to 5 devices all watching different movies or listening to music etc

As a bonus a WD Live Media Player is able to connect to the EPUB's wifi network.
20151123_091135.jpg

The Media Player plugs into the TV and the benefit of that is that we (the adults) can watch a movie on the real TV by accessing the same hard drive via the Media Player. So we can put the EPUB connected to a hard drive in a cupboard, plugged in to 12v, and it never sees the light of day ... and everyone can connect when it suits them for all their music and movie entertainment.

Of course there is some configuration of the EPUB, such as setting up the control interface, usually a once off job just to set the passwords etc. There are a number of ways to stream video etc, but this method is very cheap, and about as simple as you going to find.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
To give an idea of what can be done - I've added a diagram of the "Van Network". The raspberry Pi runs Kodi and is controlled the "CEC" using the TV Remote. If that fails I can always use the Kodi Remote app on an iDevice or Android.

View attachment 37259
I can vouch for James depth of knowledge of this stuff .... I have no clue what he's saying some (most) of the time, but he certainly knows his stuff. If you want a first rate solution stick with James .... if you want the poor cousin look at mine (When I say "mine" ... I actually use James's solution, but the EPUB does work. Is that even allowed or fair??, I think not .... but bad luck)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The design philosophy for the project was that all devices have to be able to run on 12 volt or less with minimal current so it can be used free camping. And not over tax the solar and batteries...

Next to add an Ethernet point on the draw bar so I can plug in the pi outside and into the 12volt projector :)
12v projector ???, come on @James Clark. I want to get away from the suffocating trappings of suburban life and enjoy the natural world when I go camping. I draw a firm line in the sand after satellite Foxtel, auto latte machine, remote aircon, bathroom, washing machine, networked movies, and diesel heater .....

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
I really should look at something like this, I did think about putting a mac mini into the van as have two old ones sitting around here. although I assume its suck the juice so a Pi be better.

Hey @davemc I have setup a Mac Mini in the van, testing it out for the big trip next year, I am in the process of upgrading the internals to run a SSD drive and a larger HDD drive so it can also store more content and also photo's etc plus I can easier plug another hard drive or three in if more storage is required. I run some software called PLEX which is awesome and all my devices connect into this over the Wi-Fi internal network. Apple state the max continuous power for the Mac Mini is 85W

Lots of great options for viewing and streaming content when travelling, trying to work out the best method for getting all the latest and great stuff from the cloud whilst on the move.

Of course will only be watching this when it is raining....too many other great places to see and look at........

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Ok. Streaming video, music pics and whatever else takes your fancy. Fully tested and relatively simple to setup, and simple operate via a dedicated free smart phone App ...... here goes

An EPUB Wireless HD access device $20 from eBay, and any generic hard drive
View attachment 37269
I had it set up in the van, plugged into a 12v point, and the Cruskett was able to log into it on his iPad (or Android ablet) from the car and watch movies on the way to our recent Vic forum meet. He also used it to watch movies and listen to music in bed at the caravan park. The EPUB can support up to 5 devices all watching different movies or listening to music etc

As a bonus a WD Live Media Player is able to connect to the EPUB's wifi network.
View attachment 37271

The Media Player plugs into the TV and the benefit of that is that we (the adults) can watch a movie on the real TV by accessing the same hard drive via the Media Player. So we can put the EPUB connected to a hard drive in a cupboard, plugged in to 12v, and it never sees the light of day ... and everyone can connect when it suits them for all their music and movie entertainment.

Of course there is some configuration of the EPUB, such as setting up the control interface, usually a once off job just to set the passwords etc. There are a number of ways to stream video etc, but this method is very cheap, and about as simple as you going to find.
@Crusty181 , when you say it supports up to 5 devices I assume that you are talking hard drives?? We have the seagate wireless hard drive and have the same problem as @davemc where it either plays wirelessly or if it gets plugged in to the tv, it loses the wireless capabilities. (Also found it won't play the movies......bummer..... so have to take the other hard drives.) not quite sure on my thought processes with this, but wondering if the seagate could do the job of the WD??

Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hey @davemc I have setup a Mac Mini in the van, testing it out for the big trip next year, I am in the process of upgrading the internals to run a SSD drive and a larger HDD drive so it can also store more content and also photo's etc plus I can easier plug another hard drive or three in if more storage is required. I run some software called PLEX which is awesome and all my devices connect into this over the Wi-Fi internal network. Apple state the max continuous power for the Mac Mini is 85W

Lots of great options for viewing and streaming content when travelling, trying to work out the best method for getting all the latest and great stuff from the cloud whilst on the move.

Of course will only be watching this when it is raining....too many other great places to see and look at........
I saw you had a wifi network when we were away. I should have checked it out. Been meaning to set ours up properly for a while now.

Reactions: dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@burnsie have plex at home although do not use it much anymore. I feed all my shows into it and some it worked out what they where others it picked random movies or TV shows :) Started taking to long to sort out so left it and went old school a folder for TV and one for movies. And the same under kids top folder. Select and press play :) All hooked to a tivo at home.
Now that be nice to take with me :) another Tivo although not what I call free camping ready they suck power as always on.

Mac Mini wise have a original core solo 1.5 sitting doing nothing as do not trust kids and a 2009 c2d.
Also have a few older powerbooks I keep thinking I should use for a TV for the kids. a 15" will do them DVD and get a 12v power for it.
The old macs just keep working.

Reactions: burnsie