Electrical Why Oh Why, please help

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Was battery bouncing around or driven over rough ground while in the bt50? I shook a battery to death on Cape York.
Yeah that was my thought maybe the plates come loose but then it wouldn't have shorted and have no charge?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
crackacoldie said:
Why do they put the switch in, I think most people leave them turned on anyway. Perhaps you could bypass the switch @cruza driver, that would demonstrate if the switch is faulty or not.
I thought about bypassing it but I like the flexibilty of the switch should I need to isolate it in a hurry.

Yeah that was my thought maybe the plates come loose but then it wouldn't have shorted and have no charge?
The fridge was still working after being on the tracks on the Saturday but I'll look further too

thanks Jim

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
I think you need that multimeter, the setec isolates the battery once the voltage falls bellow about 11 volts, could your problem be as simple as a low battery voltage. Try leaving your van plugged in for a day or so and try again. Hope this helps.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You said you had a test light then just work your way from battery, if like mine it has a 30 amp fuse block next to the battery test both ends then work your way along, testing the switch and any other cnx. Switch is just a bog standard switch nothing special that I can see. Of course if you have reversed the polarity it won't work, black being POS and white being NEG, at least on mine it is, annoys the crap out of me. I like Black/Neg and Red/Pos.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I think you need that multimeter, the setec isolates the battery once the voltage falls bellow about 11 volts, could your problem be as simple as a low battery voltage. Try leaving your van plugged in for a day or so and try again. Hope this helps.
Thanks @Gibbo your right the setec isolates at 10.5v thats why I thought it maybe something else causing the isolation as the battery should have been charged coming straight out of the BT.

Thanks mate much appreciated.

You said you had a test light then just work your way from battery, if like mine it has a 30 amp fuse block next to the battery test both ends then work your way along, testing the switch and any other cnx. Switch is just a bog standard switch nothing special that I can see. Of course if you have reversed the polarity it won't work, black being POS and white being NEG, at least on mine it is, annoys the crap out of me. I like Black/Neg and Red/Pos.
Thanks @Drover the polarity is all good mine has black as neg and red as pos. My old Hawk was as you mentioned with the white neg and black pos.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok, I went to another mates place and grabbed his multi meter to work out what was going on. I checked the battery voltage and it checked out all ok.

I switched off the battery switch which I had done countless times today and guess what.........it all worked as it should. Everything works on 12v with the 240v off. So I think as @expanda said the switch could be the culprit and it looks like it may need replacing.

I cant see the battery voltage being to low to be the problem earlier in the day as it was charged in the BT. But to make sure the dual batt system in BT was working I checked that too and its all good with a charge output at 14.4v.

So a massive thanks for everyone's ideas and responses, it really shows how helpful the forum is :grouphug:

And hopefully the switch problem was all it was.
:tea:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Good news. I wonder if it would be better to get a battery switch like you would find in a boat. To me the switch looks too small.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great news, problem solved and all's good in the world once again, stay tuned for the next exciting episode!:whoo:

Ha ha hopefully it keeps working until I chase up a switch

As for the next episode who knows what it will be with a Jayco :pop2:

Good news. I wonder if it would be better to get a battery switch like you would find in a boat. To me the switch looks too small.
You could be onto something there macca