17' Series Which Expanda Model?? Bigger vs More Accessories

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We got HWS/External shower.. Hot water great for dishes.. Leave coffee pod machine out instead of kettle.
Used both front tap and shower for kids.. Our thoughts where if we did free camp shower/porta potti would do.
Although I seem to do the 3am or 6am toilet run with little ones so I would probably get shower/toilet next time :)

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I must admit, the Toilet / Shower and HWS will be in the next Van for sure

only 'cause I'm getting lazier as I get older..........
but it has taken 30yrs of camping to get to that thought..............

hahahahahaha

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Ah...see, my kids are all big enough now to not need to be taken to the toilet overnight or early mornings.
I'm also a big kid now and can hold it in all night...............if I have too:D :behindsofa:

Having said that, my next van will most likely have a full ensuite, as it will just be the 2 of us by then, and we'll be in it for months at a time.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We have just come back from a 12000km trip to Gold Coast (coastal roads mainly) in our 21-64OB. We removed the shower/loo combo but kept the HWS and outside shower (haven't used it yet). We found in the east that the rest stops are excellent with loos, top WA is ok (fewer of them) and down south we rarely found any unless they were campgrounds. But we never found not having an ensuite an inconvenience at all. (First van with HWS...... A must I've decided). I guess it's a personal preference, but can see the advantages of it.
As for cars, we have a 2012 diesel patrol. It pulled it better than I expected, and the fuel economy was also a lot better than expected. Does need to have more power for hills, and as for overtaking...... Forget it. But it will do for 2 more years.
Def agree with others. Bigger van (inside) would be better for when it's raining and you are stuck inside. (We upgraded from a swan. We out grew it).

Reactions: dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ha ha gotta laugh, everybody punting there preferences and wears. I think all sides have covered it well enough.

Only thing I could add is don't count on loading up a single axle jayco, your factory payload is reduced 300kg with non shower toilet iirc ? Go subtract your water and gas, weigh your and the kids luggage and a few kitchen items and your there. Plus don't forget the ball weight off the van on the Playdoe it counts towards your vehicle GVM which when fuelled and loaded will be getting up there as well.

That's why landcruiser sales are doing so well along with other 3+ tonne 350kg ball rated tow vehicles.

Reactions: Smirke

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Only thing I could add is don't count on loading up a single axle jayco, your factory payload is reduced 300kg with non shower toilet iirc ? Go subtract your water and gas, weigh your and the kids luggage and a few kitchen items and your there. Plus don't forget the ball weight off the van on the Playdoe it counts towards your vehicle GVM which when fuelled and loaded will be getting up there as well.

Yeah good point @achjimmy looks like the 17.56.1 OB will give me another 100kg total 400kg plus the extra space, so might be an option aswell, although that means probably have to take two spares for the panda aswell.

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
We have a 16.49.2 which has a double, queen and bunks and it is an outback. We came from a hawk. We tow with a 2010 150 prado with a lift airbags and more. I'm not a fan of caravan parks and luckily we picked our van up secondhand with a few features HWS with external shower and solar panels. We free camp or bush camp where ever possible and can go 4 days with out refilling water and we are yet to run out of power. We have a awning above our shower with walls that is easily set up and we carry a portable toilet that we sit out there and it is only a 5-10 minute job to set up otherwise we use the facility's where we are staying. We get about 16.5 litres per 100km. Here is a link to our van http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/white-knuckles-16-49-2-ob.4347/ as far as storage goes we make it work with a 3,7 and 9 year old. At this point in time this suits us and I have no need for an internal shower and toilet.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
We have a awning above our shower with walls that is easily set up and we carry a portable toilet that we sit out there and it is only a 5-10 minute job to set up otherwise we use the facility's where we are staying.

Hey @White knuckles thanks for the info, really helpful, keen to do the same regarding the awning to enclose a external shower and a portable toilet, just need to make sure what vents and other fixtures they will put on that side of the van, this may restrict me. I know the new 2015 17.56.1 & 2 are getting the bunks and kitchen flipped so it would be much easier to do on a new model 17.56.1. But I think the 16.49.4 is staying the same and therefore the fridge, MW and vent for the range hood might get in the way.

Was the awning on the panda when you got it, or did you have to mount this yourself, if so was it easy?

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
The awning was on it when I got it, I think it is attached to a piece of timber and then glued and screwed but I can't be sure there is no evidence internally so no nuts or bolts. I love our setup but I would recomend a better awning as the tiger aliminium is a bit flimsy. As far as vents go when it is set up the gas HWS is in that portion of the van but the area is quite large and we don't have a problem. I would recommend getting an external 12 volt point there as well, we use a led strip that we run the cord threw the hole in the corner of the canvas into the van for power or better yet mount a light there with internal switches.

Reactions: burnsie