17' Series Which Expanda Model?? Bigger vs More Accessories

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Everyone, fantastic site, can't wait to start the mods, but first we need an Expanda....

We are in the process of buying a new Expanda Outback and are currently tossing up between three models the 16.49.4 OB/17.56.1 OB or 17.56.2 OB.

We will be towing with a 2014 Prado so capacity is limited to 2500kg therefore we can either go for a 16.49.4 with all the potential accessories (Except of course a inbuilt toilet and shower) or go for the 17.56.1 (More Space) or 17.56.2 (Shower & Toilet) and limit the accessory purchases creeping ever closer to the 2500kg capacity once all the extra stuff from the family goes in.

Anyone currently towing these models getting close to the limit? Would be interested to hear your comments on towing this with a 150 Series Prado.

Being a family of 5 are these the best Expanda options, happy to hear what everyones thoughts/recommendations are?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Go the 17.56.2 OB. We had one and loved it. We love the 22 Starcraft even more but it's a bit heavy for you.
You will just need to stipulate that it's ATM isn't over the 2500kg mark or there is no sale!

Ours was a 2012 model and a bit lighter than the current model but I recall the ATM being around 2350. I cant remember for sure. We had every accessory under the sun so I reckon you might be OK, but it is worth seeing what some of the current ATMs are from other members and comparing accessories.

All the best and let us know what you find out.

Reactions: cruza driver

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I'm with @relgate on this one. We thought about getting the 56.1 for the extra storage, but got a 56.2 second hand. I dreaded the cleaning aspect of the ensuite, but in the end, with the kids it's proven a god send. We shower the little ones in there, and at night they can take themselves to the toilet... Sweet! We lose the storage space, but that just forces us to be a little more efficient with what we take.

As for the Prado, you should be fine although I've now realised the benefits of getting a car with "room to move" in its towing capacity. If feels safer going and slowing and makes it considerably less stressful event being behind the wheel.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Thanks for the feedback all, yeah agree with you @Smergen worried about the mess but see how it would be great for the kids in the middle of the night.

Will have to see if the 2015 models change in weight at all, it looks like they are going to relocate the spare so the tow ball weight may differ, but the overall will probably be similar, hopefully not too much more.....

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Hi @burnsie, we have a 17.56-2 OB behind our 150 Prado, its a great setup. We were pushing close to the 2500kg limit, but had the discussion with our dealer that the ATM can't exceed this limit. You certainly know the Expanda is behind you on a hill start but other than that, it travels well. You'll kick yourself later if you don't go down the shower/toilet path as @Smergen says its great with kids during the night. We tossed up between the 16 footer but liked the flexibility that the second eating/seating area brings. Is your Prado manual or auto?

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @numbez yeah it is a GXL Auto Diesel, was thinking of getting a Steinbauer module as well just to beef up the performance a bit.

Based on my discussions with the dealer so far Toyota have this limit in place to make sure there is a safe towing load, I assume you could tow more (illegal of course) but if Toyota are saying you can tow up to 2500kg then the Prado should be fine and more importantly safe .......:)

Reactions: numbez

David McG

Mar 7, 2014
Hills District Sydney
Hi. We bought the 16 a few years ago upgrading from a Flamingo. We went for maximum room and storage in layout. We have just one 5 year old. Towed around Australia for 3 months last year and had storage to spare, even when our older kids and their partners joined us for 4 weeks and it became the "mother ship" for food and cooking - we really lived under the annex during the day. If there are more than 4 of you and the weather requires you to be in the van - can get squeezie unless you put up the annex walls. We only stay in van parks so the bathroom is not such an issue - although I do recall a few cold nights in Perth walking up the hill to the bathroom. Mind you we do take the potty and put it under the anex at night.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Thanks @David McG for the feedback, ours when we get it will be used mainly in Caravan Parks for the next 12months, but we are doing our Lap of Oz from May 2016 so will be towing whatever we get for at least 6 months hopefully longer and with the 3 kids aged 8,6 & 4 probably better to get the bigger one and make sure we keep it under the 2500kg limit and of course the GCM (Gross Combination Mass) which for my Prado is 5290kg otherwise I may struggle to get insurance

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @burnsie
I replied to your query regarding the Prado on the "Our Jayco" post. (Ours is 120 series petrol so others with a diesel may give you a better idea).
As for which van? .... We first purchased a second hand 2007 16.49.3 on road model. Wasn't fussed with getting one with a toilet but so glad we did now. Toilet was on the top of Mrs Dagree's list when we upgraded.

The 16'er was fine size wise for the two of us but on the few occasions when either of the daughters came away with kids it got a bit squeezy!
Would have gone another 16 but after looking at the difference of internal sizes the 17.56.2OB was a "No Brainer".

Do you specifically want/need an Outback model? If concerned on weight vs size would a 17' Tourer model suffice?

Enjoy the forum and search! OH and be prepared as a few of us just might help you spend $'s when you pick up the van ;)

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
hi @burnsie, we've got a 150 Diesel Prado and a 17.56 02 OB. Total van weight is 2613 with only a spare battery added. Make the contract stipulate 2500kg or less and even still the car will struggle with five in it. We got down to 80 or less coming back from Kalbarri and have to travel with tanks empty to make sure we are under the 2500kg mark. Im now faced with the prospect of an (unexpected) car upgrade to a Landcruiser that will be able to tow it comfortably, but having said that I would never trade off and not have the shower / toilet. We've got 6 in the car and when you write down the individual weights of everything on board be very careful you don't exceed the GCM.I would take @dagree s advice and look at a tourer version or consider a car upgrade first if you are set on a 17.56. Awesome van and car but IMO the van is too big for the underpowered car when loaded with kids etc....

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
Hi @burnsie
We have a 17.56.1 outback ,we picked up beginning of November. We tow with a 2012 150 Prado and have not had any problems. We have put an old man emu lift kit and airbags into the suspension and it tows fantastic. Hubby sits on 100km/ hr and that's pretty much with 4 adults in the car. We averaged our last trip @ 19ltrs/100km.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hi @dagree, yeah I am starting to put some coin aside for the mods...... we are planning on taking the panda around Oz next year which will include the Gibb River Road so keen to look at an outback model (Could be opening a can of worms here but I do understand it isn't an off road unit :))

We are yet to decide if the toilet/shower combo was required, but so far everyone has mentioned it is a must......

Great info @Cheyne78 exactly what I was after but probably not the outcome I wanted, Caravanland had two 17.56.2 OB's when we had a look on the weekend one was 2340 ATM and the other was 2524 ATM so was hoping as most people have advised to keep this at or under the 2500. Regarding the Prado we bought this new mid last year and have done quite a few mods to this for some off road use, so pretty reluctant to get rid of it at this stage. A few people have fitted a Steinbauer module which has beefed up the power a bit but yes will still be towing close to capacity.

Looks like the 16.49.4 OB with external shower and no toilet is back on the table.....but have not lost all hope for a 17.56.2 with the Prado just yet.

Thanks @JOBSWAN yeah we also have the 2inch OME will fit the air bags and probably a Tow Pro soon, was hoping the fuel bill to be cheaper than 19 per 100, do you have a heavy right boot or am I just dreaming :biggrin-26:

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
We took our van on a half lap with 3 kids and no shower/toilet in it, without any issues.
Not once did we wish we had it. All caravan parks have showers and toilets and all campgrounds up along the GRR have toilets and there are plenty of swimming holes too...

The weight thing with the Prado's is becoming a real issue for a lot of people these days as vans get heavier and heavier with all the stuff we want/need. Solar panels, 2 batteries etc etc.
There are some stories around that authorities in some states conduct random blitzes on caravanners on the road and putting them over a weighbridge and checking all weights, including the GCM.
That's the last thing I would want to go through half way around and not have any real way of fixing it there and then.
My 2c.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We are yet to decide if the toilet/shower combo was required, but so far everyone has mentioned it is a must......
Looks like the 16.49.4 OB with external shower and no toilet is back on the table.....but have not lost all hope for a 17.56.2 with the Prado just yet.

I have a 16.49.1 - no shower / toilet - inside or outside
I have yet to feel the pain of having to walk to the toilets for a shower and such at any time of the day or night.... and I'm getting old....!.!.!
mind you, I dont have Hot water system either....... boil the kettle if you want hot water.

hot water / toilets / showers - yes they increase your re-sale value - but I've yet to meet someone who brought a van, to make money off it at a sale.......they usually buy to use....
they also make life quite nice while away camping, but - are they needed in your circumstance...?

external shower - to wash the kids off when you get back from the beach / mud / sand hills / whatever - you have a tap for water on the draw bar, or one not being used at the camp site... to hose off the little buggers, plus water the grass......
(I sound like a Grinch I think - or tight fisted.......)

all in all, it is whatever you can get to make your holidaying easier
if you love your Playdoh enough not to think about upgrading (?) to a Cruiser
downsize the Van to suit, go the 16' then in a couple of years, update the car and the Van.......

my ramblings for you.........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
The LC200 or by the time I get one the LC300 will definitely be on the cards :) cheers

get a good 100 series, turbo diesel

Realistically, at the cost of diesel V's petrol, your better off getting a good V8 petty 100 series

not 100% sure
and open to being corrected
but I did hear last year something about the 200 being the end of the line for BIG wagons in Australia from Toyota

you can have either:
150 Playdoh and its newer models - for luxury
76 Wagon - for all purpose 4wd wagon

again, not 100% sure, as I cannot recall where I read it

Reactions: dagree

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I will add to my previous post by saying that although we didn't have a shower/toilet in the van, we did option the HWS and the external shower (that maybe got used twice).
Maybe that's an option..

Reactions: burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
I will add to my previous post by saying that although we didn't have a shower/toilet in the van, we did option the HWS and the external shower (that maybe got used twice).
Maybe that's an option..

Hey @Matty4 yeah will definitely option up to the HWS and will probably take a portable loo and only use it when required, thinking the external shower will come in handy with the three kids, getting the 16.49.4 will also allow us to throw a bike rack on and add the kids bikes without being weight conscious plus all the other mods/accessories I have seen done on this forum.....

Cant wait to get it, already trolling through the forum noting down the mods I want done.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I thought the External shower would suffice, but I reckon like @Matty4 showed, if you go to CP's a lot, you're unlikely to use them over the park facilities. Our most used feature during summer is the simple tap on the front to hose down sandy and dirty kids/equipment. It more than suffices, but don't need the HWS hooked up to it. Just a thought.

Reactions: bigcol and Cheyne78