Electrical Where to connect aux 12v with the Drifter

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive got the Drifter control panel, and the Jaycos favoured wiring spaghetti to, from and around the battery shunt setup.

I want to run some aux 12v around the van, but didn't fancy paying $100 per point in the van purchase process.

Aside from connecting directly to the batteries, whats the correct connection points to connect a busbar so it integrates with the Drifter system.

My second battery is connected :-
Pos - primary battery to secondary battery
Neg - secondary battery to shunt

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Ive got the Drifter control panel, and the Jaycos favoured wiring spaghetti to, from and around the battery shunt setup.

I want to run some aux 12v around the van, but didn't fancy paying $100 per point in the van purchase process.

Aside from connecting directly to the batteries, whats the correct connection points to connect a busbar so it integrates with the Drifter system.

Sorry for the long and complex answer below, but in summary it should be straight forward. I have included a Jayco wiring diagram I got from this forum which is a bit old but better than nothing. One concern may be warranty, if you run your own separate 12V circuits directly from the battery terminals it should not adversely impact on any of the Jayco wiring or Setec controller or Drifter (or Coast) control panel. After warranty your new circuits could be then linked to the Jayco wiring and Setec controller. The Drifter "monitor" will monitor battery voltage and will still measure the battery voltage including your new independent circuits without been modified.

Ok good plan, a few points on 12V wiring in a Jayco caravan. No two vans are probably wired the same and from all reports the 12V wiring can be a bit messy. There are different model Setec controllers which may be wired differently. All existing 12v wiring should have fuses. All new 12V wiring must have fuses.

As I understand it the Drifter (or Coast) are control panels or "monitors" for batteries voltage and water tanks levels. The Setec power supply is the "controller" for power throughout the van. The Setec takes whatever electrical power source (AUX power from Car or 240V) you have and turns it into 12V for lighting and other 12V applications in the van. Solar panels bypass the Setec and are connected directly to the batteries via their own regulator.

To do extra 12V wiring you need to buy a few things;
wire cutters, connectors, crimp tool, PVC electrical tape, heat shrink, red and black coloured automotive wire (or similar) and a multi meter would be handy. If you are game soldering iron about 100W (or portable gas soldering iron), roll of resin core solder and even more heat shrink.

My suggestion is to buy a box of connectors (spades and sockets mainly) from Supercheap or similar place about $50 or less and get yourself a crimping tool with sizes of connectors in mm marked on it, generally the more leverage the better crimp. Also when you crimp; crimp once on the metal and once on the insulation, this is called double crimping and makes for a more secure crimp. Supplement the box of connectors with the more expensive small packs as needed. Some good crimping tools are on eBay that do up to 50A Anderson plug size and down to 3-4mm for about $30 they have lot of leverage.

Soldering is very good, but requires a bit of skill and is often messed up. It also can put heat in places you do not want to heat up. Too much heat and solder travels down wire melting insulation and making the solder joint more likely to fatigue, too little heat and you end up with a dry joint which is prone to fail. Also all solder connections need to be covered and heat shrink is the best covering which in turn is often covered by electrical PVC tape. You can also covered crimped connections with heat shrink and then electrical PVC tape to make them weather resistant.

Use decent electrical sized wire, even if the original wire looks a bit thin as this will reduce voltage drop. I believe in a Jayco all 12V wiring comes from either the batteries directly or the Setec controller (I have yet to pick up my Jayco and check out its wiring). Three approaches are possible one is run more circuits from the Setec, two pick up straight from the 12V batteries or add to an existing circuit.
All of these will work, but always put fuses in any new circuits. One exception may be if you tap into an existing 12V circuit and it is already protected by an adequate fuse to cover original load and your new load.

The formula is P (in Watts)= Volts (12V) and Current in Amps, so if the fuse is 20A and circuit 12V
P=20x12=240Watts so the maximum load you would put on this circuit is 200W so if it already has 100W load you could add another 100W, but always be cautious in how much extra load. Do not beef up value of fuse or you may melt the wiring or damage the controller. For example an iPhone charger is typically 10W so you could safely put a couple of phone chargers on the existing circuit, don't forget to add another fuse. Jaycar Electonics and others sell a very neat thermal fuse which will fail then when it cools down reset.

Hope this helps any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Once I get my new van and have sometime to study and understand its wiring I will write an article about it (which I will hopefully copy to this forum). In the meantime below is a two year old article I did on my Avan.

Attached is a copy of a short article I wrote for Renew Magazine in 2012 on the solar system in my Avan (which I have since sold to buy my new Jayco). It included two 12V sockets, with a thermal fuse and LED Battery gauge. I simply added it directly to the existing 100AH Avan battery terminals.
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_3997.jpg
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg
IMG_4006.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg
IMG_4014.jpg

Attachments

• Avan solar.pdf
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,418
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Jayco+Scematic+wiring+diagram.pdf
    423.2 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld

Hi Crusty

The important thing to remember is that the negative supply to your auxiliary circuits must be connected to the non battery side of the drifter shunt.

There are 3 main places you can take your positive wire from, all would be ok to use. I have marked them A,B and C in the drawing below.

A. Direct connection to battery. This is the place to take power from if you are going to be running high current items like inverters etc. It is still ok for your low power circuits as well but the power will remain on all the time.

B. The switched side of you master switch (series 1 and 2 setecs only, may not be suitable for series 3). If your aux circuits are just to be used for low current devices like phone chargers, Tv etc then this is a good place to get your power. by connecting here you will be able to remove power from your aux circuit when you turn off the master switch. This can be handy when the van is in storage.

C. Direct connection to the setec. Again for the lower power devices. If you have a spare fuse slot available on your setec you can take your power from that. This offers easy access to the fuse and will also be disconnected from the battery when the master switch is turned off.

Auxil.png

If you are going to connect to the setec you must use fully covered connectors. You can see in the picture below you don't have a lot of clearance where the terminals are. This setec has no free slots available but quite often they do. You can take your negative from here also as it is on the correct side of the shunt.

IMG_4944.JPG

Last edited:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi Crusty

The important thing to remember is that the negative supply to your auxiliary circuits must be connected to the non battery side of the drifter shunt.

There are 3 main places you can take your positive wire from, all would be ok to use. I have marked them A,B and C in the drawing below.

A. Direct connection to battery. This is the place to take power from if you are going to be running high current items like inverters etc. It is still ok for your low power circuits as well but the power will remain on all the time.

B. The switched side of you master switch (series 1 and 2 setecs only, may not be suitable for series 3). If your aux circuits are just to be used for low current devices like phone chargers, Tv etc then this is a good place to get your power. by connecting here you will be able to remove power from your aux circuit when you turn off the master switch. This can be handy when the van is in storage.

C. Direct connection to the setec. Again for the lower power devices. If you have a spare fuse slot available on your setec you can take your power from that. This offers easy access to the fuse and will also be disconnected from the battery when the master switch is turned off.

View attachment 28310

If you are going to connect to the setec you must use fully covered connectors. You can see in the picture below you don't have a lot of clearance where the terminals are. This setec has no free slots available but quite often they do. You can take your negative from here also as it is on the correct side of the shunt.

View attachment 28311

Thanks for the pic and the diagram. I have yet to see the Jayco wiring set up in detail.
Can you confirm if the Drifter shunt is how the control panel measures current in the main 12V van circuit. It is neat if the drifter measures current drawn as well as the battery voltage.
What are the type of connectors that go into the shunt?

Thanks again Terry

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the pic and the diagram. I have yet to see the Jayco wiring set up in detail.
Can you confirm if the Drifter shunt is how the control panel measures current in the main 12V van circuit. It is neat if the drifter measures current drawn as well as the battery voltage.
What are the type of connectors that go into the shunt?

Thanks again Terry

Yes the shunt is how the drifter measures current into and out off the battery.

The shunt has a thread and nut type of arrangement for the connectors.
you can see a picture of the shunt in the manual :)

Reactions: yabbietol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Waking this thread up, @boots33 thanks for posting up. I am conecting a gas heater, one supplier insisted I conect direct to the battery but the manual says a 12v supply circuit. It draws about 1.3 amps and I have ran 6mm auto (4.5msq) for 2m to it. I am keen to hook up to the setec for the convenience of running it through the master switch. Could you think of any reason they perfer hook up to the battery other than convience?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I want to connect a N/O solenoid inside in the van on the mains pressure inlet line behind the filler box. I want the solenoid to close, to shut of the mains pressure, whenever I turn on the water pump. The end result being I can access my tank water whilst connected to main pressure i.e. the solenoid will shut off the mains when the pump is active, the pump then drawing directly from the tanks. One switch to fill my drink bottle or kettle from the tanks

Am I able to simply pigging backing the solenoid directly onto the existing pump wires as shown on the Setec series III manual drawing on page 22; i.e. pump powered, solenoid charged. Or am I off target.

There maybe some other issue that has some impact; the toilet activates the pump regardless whether the Drifter pump switch is on or off
Series III Setec page 22.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I want to connect a N/O solenoid inside in the van on the mains pressure inlet line behind the filler box. I want the solenoid to close, to shut of the mains pressure, whenever I turn on the water pump. The end result being I can access my tank water whilst connected to main pressure i.e. the solenoid will shut off the mains when the pump is active, the pump then drawing directly from the tanks. One switch to fill my drink bottle or kettle from the tanks

Am I able to simply pigging backing the solenoid directly onto the existing pump wires as shown on the Setec series III manual drawing on page 22; i.e. pump powered, solenoid charged. Or am I off target.

There maybe some other issue that has some impact; the toilet activates the pump regardless whether the Drifter pump switch is on or off
View attachment 30381

Crusty I'd be coming off the water pump + and if it's a bit light for the soliniod then use it to run a relay coming off the battery.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Waking this thread up, @boots33 thanks for posting up. I am conecting a gas heater, one supplier insisted I conect direct to the battery but the manual says a 12v supply circuit. It draws about 1.3 amps and I have ran 6mm auto (4.5msq) for 2m to it. I am keen to hook up to the setec for the convenience of running it through the master switch. Could you think of any reason they perfer hook up to the battery other than convience?

I can't think of any reason why you would need to connect directly to the battery. As long as you have a suitable size fuse in the circuit it should be fine to take power from the setec. The cable you are using will be more than adequate for the job. By connecting to the setec your battery will also remain protected by its low voltage cutout circuit. Have you got a link to the manual

boots33

Jun 25, 2011

View attachment 30381

At the very least you will need the solenoid to connect to the pump after the pumps pressure cutout switch and as @achjimmy has already said will need to make sure you do not exceed the drifters load capacity. A small solenoid will likely draw less than 1A so you will probably be ok.

However I think you are correct in suspecting there may be more to this than it would first appear. The fact that the pump continues to work even when switched off at the drifter seems to indicated it may not be controlled by the drifter at all. Also if tank and mains water is delivered by the one tap then there may be one way valves used to determine where the water will be drawn from. if that is the case the tank pump may be prevented from turning on while mains supply is present.

I think you will need to do a bit of investigating and draw up a mud map of the plumbing and pump wiring to see what will be best way to proceed. It should be an interesting mod. :)

Reactions: Crusty181

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I can't think of any reason why you would need to connect directly to the battery. As long as you have a suitable size fuse in the circuit it should be fine to take power from the setec. The cable you are using will be more than adequate for the job. By connecting to the setec your battery will also remain protected by its low voltage cutout circuit. Have you got a link to the manual

image.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
When the pump switch is switched on, the pump operates whether mains is connected or not. The dealer service and Jayco tech support are at polar opposites as to weather it should or shouldn't. Maybe compounding that is the mains pressure disfunctional and choking reduction valve, which may be choked to a lower pressure than the pumps pressure switch. The way it was explained to me is the whole mains/tank/ pump system is interconnected and relies on two cheap non return valves; one stopping mains getting to the pump, and the other stopping the pumped water shooting out the mains connection.

I am going to connect the solenoid right at the mains connection, simply because at this point the childlike way the plumbing is designed allows me to do it that way ... relying on the same non return valves. No helping the cause is a faulty non return valve at the pump, which at present allows flow to pass back through the pump, fill the tanks in reverse which concludes with water constantly dribbling out of the tank fillers.

The original solenoid idea was to add the solenoid and connected to its own switch, but I could think of an situation where I would want the mains pressure to be on when I activate the pump .... so a more integrated on switch approached seemed better.

Ill investigate where the pump power is coming from, and maybe wait until the the warranty issues are addessed

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Wow Jim what a confusing bit of script

pic1.png

I guess that would mean it is ok to connect to your setec

pic2.png

Or you can connect direct to the battery but have to fuse both wires!

pic3.png

So you can't have any other items connected on the same fuse.

So it looks to me like it will be ok to go the setec but you can't have anything else on that circuit. Don't ask why as I don't have a clue.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Wow Jim what a confusing bit of script

View attachment 30405

I guess that would mean it is ok to connect to your setec

View attachment 30406

Or you can connect direct to the battery but have to fuse both wires!

View attachment 30407

So you can't have any other items connected on the same fuse.

So it looks to me like it will be ok to go the setec but you can't have anything else on that circuit. Don't ask why as I don't have a clue.

Yeah the whole manual is pretty ordinary. All I can think is the installer I spoke to had some issues and has found it best to go direct to the battery? He also gave me some conflicting advice re the exhaust as well. Any way I'll try the setec first.

Re the fused neg, Furuno Sounders for boats insist the neg is fused as well. Make it very clear no fused neg no warranty.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Re the fused neg, Furuno Sounders for boats insist the neg is fused as well. Make it very clear no fused neg no warranty.

Yeah have seen fused earthing on some delicate items before. I was more concerned that the way it seems to read you only need to fuse the negative if you are connecting directly to the battery. Most items that need neg fusing require it no matter where power is drawn from.

Not very well written me thinks :)